CMBB has a problem with large amounts of RAM?

Hi. I´ve been struggling with this problem for a while now: quite randomly it seems as though CMBB either gives me an unhandle exception error as described in the troubleshooting guide or a blue screen with various MEMORY related error codes. I have reinstalled DirectX 9.0b, so that cannot be the issue. I have also changed a corrupt memory module two times (512mb + 512mb system setup)and I´m now on my third piece of mem. Of course I could be cursed, this memory being bad too, but is there any reports on errors of this kind due to software or Windows XP or BIOS settings? :mad:

Regards

Gurra

None that I know of. CM shouldn't really care what maximum amount of memory you have in your system. With Win9x there is a bit of an issue with having over 512Mb (which requires a change to the SYSTEM.INI file and may affect certain video drivers).

How your hardware handles that memory may be another issue. Are the DIMMs from the same manufacturer and the same model ? Are you using 'aggressive' memory timings or overclocking your system ? Have you checked your motherboard manufacturer's website for any detailed info on memory compatibility ? Do you know if the particular memory you're using has been 'certified' for your motherboard?

Some motherboards aren't as stable with the more memory you add. Specifically the more DIMMs that they have to run the less stable some motherboards are. This isn't universally true, but it does occur for some motherboards or chipsets. Sometimes increasing the memory voltage (if it is an available option on the motherboard) might help, but it could also decrease the life expectancy of the RAM.

How much RAM is considered a large amount?

I have two machines. One has 1.5 gigabytes of PC2100 and the other machine has 1 gigabyte of PC2700. All of the sticks are of the same manufacturer and amount of memory and I have never had a problem running CM.

What kind of motherboard do you have? I read that some motherboards have a restriction with how many sticks you can use depending on the speed of the RAM. For instance, I'm running on an ASUS A7V8X and the limitation is 3 sticks of PC2100 two of PC2700 and only one if the memory is PC3200. If I used 3 sticks of PC2700 it might cause problems or run at the lower speed by default.

Hi.

Well, I´m using two sticks of 512mb 2700 on ASUS P4S8X. And for the third time now, when using that second stick, I get these problems. I guess probably that it´s due to a corrupted stick, which means I´ll be heading back to the store once more for some testing and replacement. I thought it would be impossible though to pick up a faulty memory three times in a row! :eek:

I will consider the compatibility issue though. The non problem memory I have is Samsung, and with that I have now tried Apacer, TwinMos and Kingston. Samsung is hard to find at the moment.

Thanks for your replies.

Gurra

Gurra,

ASUS website had this to say about DDR333 memory issues:

Question: When I use certain DDR 333 memory modules (such as Kingmax, Corsair, etc) on P4S8X under Windows 2000 or XP, the mem modules cannot be installed successfully, thus, system will become unstable. Why?

Answer: Please update to the latest BIOS v1004. It will solve most of current DDR333 memory problem. You can download it via below: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/mb/sock478/p4s8x/p4s8x004.zip

Question: Does P4S8X support ECC or Registered memory?

Answer: According to the Spec of SiS 648 North Bridge, P4S8X can only support non-ECC and Unbuffered DDR memory.

Question: Are there ASUS qualified DDR 333 memories for P4S8X?

Answer: The following table lists the DDR333 memory modules that have been tested and qualified for use with P4S8X: Nanya NT5DS16M8AT-6 PC2700/256MB Samsung K4H280838D-TCB3 PC2700/128MB Samsung K4H280838D-TCB3 PC2700/256MB Micron MT8VDDT1664AG-335B1 PC2700/128MB Micron MT16VDDT3264AG-335B1 PC2700/256MB NOTE: Please use only the tested and qualified DDR333 DIMMs listed above, other DDR DIMMs manufactured by other vendors may not be suitable for this motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for info!

Especially the compatibility list. BUT: How rigid are these specifications? I mean, shouldn´t most memory actually be compatible, even though the motherboard company specifies some memory manufacturers? On the other hand, after getting into the computer business, I have learned that the machines are more like humans than machines...

When it comes to BIOS, I looked it up and I use v. 1005, which logically comes after 1004, and I guess that what made some errors disappear in the 1004 version also applies to the following? That being 1005,then.

I´ll go on investigating...

Thanks for helping me out. smile.gif

Gurra.

Hmm. Strange Occurencies.

I started to think about that BIOS version I mentioned, I was sure I downloaded a 005 some time ago and flashed with that. Now there´s no sign of such a version on the ASUS home page. Just the 004 version. I wonder what the hell of a version I have got...

Something is not where it´s at.