CM makes it into Future Combat System

RMC

I attended a series of briefings today by the prime contractors in the running for the Army's Future Combat System. The second contractor had one slide that showed some very familiar looking 3D terrain. Sure enough it was taken from CM. They used it as a backdrop to place 2D icons as part of explaining their concept. I was stunned and thought I had a little scandal on my hands until I saw small print at the bottom of the slide "Terrain graphic used with permission of Battlefront.com."

It would be great if BTS was secretly subcontacted to develop a highly modded CM, one that can handle modern warfare. It could be used to teach some good lessons, I have learned alot about tactics and stragety from it, giving me better idea of how everything comes together.

But then again, Im not in the military, so I dont know how well CM could fully incorporate modern warfare.

I don't think CM would ever make it into service as a standard sim. Sure it could be updated to cover modern weapon systems, but the basic premise of one player controlling everything doesn't work for the military. DoD just doesn't do turn-based sims.

The contractor was just using a screenshot devoid of units to show terrain in a powerpoint slide.

If the army is training on a "sim" that does not have spraying fire for Machine guns, or MGs that can fire at more than one target at a time, no illumination at night, no way to clear mines other then thrown DCs, no way to clear wire or obstacles, and worst of all, no Bren tripods, then God help our lads out in Afghanistan.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RMC:

I don't think CM would ever make it into service as a standard sim. Sure it could be updated to cover modern weapon systems, but the basic premise of one player controlling everything doesn't work for the military. DoD just doesn't do turn-based sims.<hr></blockquote>

TacOps

Tac ops and Decisive Action were not DoD developments. There may be people in DoD who are using them for various reasons but dod still clings to JCATS, JANUS, CBS and BBS. All of these are massively multiplayer and reinforce staff procedures and the Military Decision Making Process. CM can't do that.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RMC:

Tac ops and Decisive Action were not DoD developments. There may be people in DoD who are using them for various reasons but dod still clings to JCATS, JANUS, CBS and BBS. All of these are massively multiplayer and reinforce staff procedures and the Military Decision Making Process. CM can't do that.<hr></blockquote>

Currently TACOPS has been licensed and used for the US Army and was incorporated into the Armor Captain's Course. We MDMPed, wargamed, and fought battles aginst other small groups. The "company commanders" actually saw the screen and had to use handheld radios to call in reports. The commander and his staff had to battle track and issue orders to the commanders, which a "puckster" put into the computer. We even designed some custom scenarios on the NTC maps to practice company and TF Missions we planned.

So at least at some levels, the Army is using it. But the sad fact is that most senior officers have no concept of what commercial computer sims can do - M1TP2 and Steel Beasts are 90% of CCTT and a hell of a lot better than SIMNET - and cost a lot less!

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Cavguy ]</p>

I think that as more gen x type folks gain rank, commercial products will gain more acceptance. But there is still the need to insulate the commanders and staffs being trained from the pucking in front of the monitor. The whole point is to use the sim to drive the exercise. It'll take awhile for any of this to trickle into a brigade CPX/TOCEX. Commerical wargames have a sort of "Toy" image vice the hardcore military sims. FBCB2 and ABCS may accelerate the trend toward acceptance, but now those real systems are coming under fire for encouraging micromanagement.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

And as for maintaining the American hegemony for 2000 years - I don't mind. It's better than a Chinese, Zimbabwean or Luxembourgian hegemony.

-fytinghellfish

<hr></blockquote>

Hey! That's me! Did you clear that with my lawyers? I trademark and copyright everything I type. Oh boy.. you're in for the lawsuit of a lifetime!

;):D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

If the army is training on a "sim" that does not have spraying fire for Machine guns, or MGs that can fire at more than one target at a time, no illumination at night, no way to clear mines other then thrown DCs, no way to clear wire or obstacles, and worst of all, no Bren tripods, then God help our lads out in Afghanistan.<hr></blockquote>

You're right Michael!

They had best wait until CMBB ;)