Best Game of all Time?

In terms of how great an impact they had on me, how long I kept playing

and how many sleepless nights they caused.

1. CMBO , yep, CMBB is better, but not in a

"never seen anything like this before" -way.

2. ELITE on C-128 (same as in C-64), stayed up so many nights.

But it didn't keep me playing for years after I started..

3. Civ1 Mac version had beautiful 640x480 graphics,

even if my 16Mhz LC was choking on them..

4. Red Storm Rising C-128, avoiding 8 torpedoes coming

from different directions was such a thrill.

(edit. it did give kill stats when the game ended)

5. Pirates Cove Vic-20, no graphics, just text. 2-word sentences.

I never did find the pirate treasure but I got pretty far. This is for other

Scott Adams adventures as well, the one in Dracula's castle was scary.

[ November 27, 2002, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost forgot about Elite... My friend and I played it day and night for at least a year. It sure made a big impact on my high-school grades:) I still think, Elite is the game that made the biggest impression on me. I actually enjoyed the slow trip from the hyperspace jump to the docking-station, just watching the target planet slowly growing, waiting for the possible attack of pirates, thinking about how big a profit I would make. It created the atmospere of being aboard the Millenium Falcon on a sneaky smugglingoperation. And the music, when you finally got the dockingcomputer! Just like in Stanley Kubricks Space Odyssey 2001!

Later I played other space-simulations/games, but nowone got near Elite in terms of open-endedness, atmosphere and general feeling of "being there".

Heard somewhere, that Elite 4 is in the making... Maybe it will soon be time to strap into the Captains chair again!

Originally posted by Jarmo:

In terms of how great an impact they had on me, how long I kept playing

and how many sleepless nights they caused.

1. CMBO , yep, CMBB is better, but not in a

"never seen anything like this before" -way.

Funny enough it's the opposite for me, i thought CMBO was realy good, but CMBB is what gave me the i have'nt seen anything like this before, being that it's so much better in my opinion, and the game just looks, sounds, and plays so damn well.

The gameplay in CMBB is head and shoulders above CMBO. As inovative as CMBO was, there were alot of things that irked me about it, for instance, the French. :D

Plus you gotta love unlimited replayability in a game thats oh so much.

This tread got me thinking about some old games so I pulled out War In Russia (Grigsby's).

Haven't looked at it in years. I installed it and started going through the book to help me play and got hooked all over again.

Help!!

Don't have time for CMBB and this too!

Originally posted by bob9017:

This tread got me thinking about some old games so I pulled out War In Russia (Grigsby's).

Haven't looked at it in years. I installed it and started going through the book to help me play and got hooked all over again.

Help!!

Don't have time for CMBB and this too!

Hehe, well i just loaded Morrowind on my computer the other night, so i'm sure i'll be feeling your pain soon enough.

But this won't stop me from playing CMBB, luckily all i play is PBEM, and an occasional TCP/IP game.

in terms of the greatest time spent playing, the games that make my list are(no particular order):

empire(kind of a pre civ game, though much simpler)

civ1

xcom(the first one)

panzer general

wing commander

elite

colonial coquest

c&c/red alert 1 & 2

warcraft 2/starcraft

indoor sports(had bowling on one side of the disk and ping pong/darts on the other side. i was da ping pong champion! lol)

i'm sure there are more, just can't think of them...

Originally posted by Generale_Pasquini:

Ummm, all of you are smoking crack. Two Words:

MARIO KART

smile.gifsmile.gif

Hellz yeah! Two-player battle mode was absolutely legendary...hitting a straightaway when your opponent has a red homing shell, and using that powerup to jump over a railing...sweet. Only to be topped by the 64 version.

Now that I'm down memory lane, I would have to nominate some old school console games:

Nintendo (orig)

Baseball Stars, Contra (2plyr), Metroid, NHLPA 94, Zeldas, etc.

cpu:

AoE 2

WWII GI- cheesy FPS, but it got the WWII hook into me, that and SPR.

"EMPIRE: Wargame of the Century" - anyone ever play this? Very simple "world" exploration/mil.conquest game. You can D/L it but I can't get that version to work.

wow..... these brings back memory...i remember my earliest strategy game:

- Balance of Power.

Balance.gif

what is really interesting is that the author chris crawford has released this game into the public domain... check out http://www.erasmatazz.com/free.html

my first wargame was "Patton Strikes Back" on the PC. Didn't understand it at all...but left an indelible impression on me.

Patback.jpg

one question is: was Patton Strikes Back ever released on the Mac platform ?

laxx

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Generale_Pasquini:

Ummm, all of you are smoking crack. Two Words:

MARIO KART

smile.gifsmile.gif

Hellz yeah! Two-player battle mode was absolutely legendary...hitting a straightaway when your opponent has a red homing shell, and using that powerup to jump over a railing...sweet. Only to be topped by the 64 version.

Now that I'm down memory lane, I would have to nominate some old school console games:

Nintendo (orig)

Baseball Stars, Contra (2plyr), Metroid, NHLPA 94, Zeldas, etc.

cpu:

AoE 2

WWII GI- cheesy FPS, but it got the WWII hook into me, that and SPR.

"EMPIRE: Wargame of the Century" - anyone ever play this? Very simple "world" exploration/mil.conquest game. You can D/L it but I can't get that version to work.</font>

Ok, here is an (incomplete) list of my votes for best games (I've played), based on how much fun I had with them (and some I still do):

Best Console games first (in order of decreasing greatness):

(1) College Football 98 for Sega Genesis (which I still have)

(2) Road Rash for Sega Genesis (if you have never played this--original version on Sega Genesis--you need to stock up on liquor, find the game and a working system to play it, and kill an evening with your buddies that way. Funniest game ever made IMO. You get going on your motorcycle at 200 MPH and slam into a fence post and fly about 3 or 4 miles, hitting trees, cars, etc. on the way until you are finally stopped by hitting a house. Your guy gets up, shakes his head a bit, then runs back to his motorcycle.)

(3) Tennis for Nintendo NES. Actually play (kinduv )like tennis.

Best PC Games (in order from oldest to newest):

Jedi Knight II: Once you get your lightsabre and force powers, this game is fun as hell and very addictive. Online play isn't that great.

Counterstrike: Best online game of all time. Once you kill your first enemy on this FPS, you will be addicted...you have been warned...

Half Life: Maybe the best game of all time? Immersive beyond belief, you will shriek like a little girl when a monster jumps out of the shadows...really!

CMBO: I don't have CMBB yet but CMBO is an obvious one. CMBB will probably be added to top of the list once Christmas arrives and I can play what looks like a fantastic evolution in the series.

Falcon 4.0 (with SP3 patch): Best combat flight sim of all time. If you don't have it--get it!

IL-2 is very good, too, but the lack of dynamic campaign (and having to replay missions over and over again) nudges it out of the exception games category for me. If I get better at it, it might make it into the list, only time will tell.

TOAW: Excellent, extremely flexible operational wargame. Not perfect, but very good.

VGA Planets: Anyone who hasn't tried this one (multiplayer only) is seriously missing out on a great space X4 game. Fun and funny and a lot of strategy.

Harpoon: (On my Amiga 2000) Excellent naval warfare game. Eagerly awaiting Harpoon 4!

Perfect General (Amiga 2000): Abstract as hell, but a fun wargame (sortof) anyway.

Dungeon Master (Amiga 500): Puzzles and monsters to fight and pretty immersive. A fun and addictive game.

Microbes (TRS-80): Basically "Asteroids"

Pyramid (TRS-80): A text adventure with a sense of humor.

Arcade Games (no order):

Dragon's Lair: Great animated game by Disney's (cringe, having to say that word) Don Bluth.

Space Ace: Ditto

Karate Champ

Mach 3

Pacman

Space Invaders: The one that started it all!