A little something I've been working on

PzJgr%201.jpg

This is a work in progress, I have been using photos as reference, from some of the sites of ither CMBO forum members (many thanks).I just completed the tracks and running gear. I am looking for more detail shots of the leading roadwheel. Also if anyone has some pics of some of the stowage. I will be redoing the gun and am on the second rev for the vision ports. Given the scale this will be seen at I am not trying for perfection. Feel free to give pointers or if you know of some good places for photos (I gave my Dad all my books 15 years ago so I have only the web for reference. He lives in Dexter, Maine which is a bit of a drive from western MI :rolleyes: )

Antway I will update with changes as it becomes more complete.

Also keep in mind this is a screen shot that was reduced in size when it became a jpeg so there is alot of image degradation with circles not concentric and so on.

[ March 10, 2002, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: kmead ]

This is merely a 2D drawing that would be used as the basis for a mod of this vehicle in CMBB. So, no it won't move. I could model it in a 3D modeller (or even this piece of software, Vectorworks) and render it as a unit. That will be a future project, although its nice to have good baseline like this. Thanks for the complement.

Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Sir,

Refusing to accept OS X are we? Good for you!

Well on the OSX issue Why boot into OSX if when you have to reboot BACK into 9.x for CMBO?

Besides until June we still won't have photoshop native to OSX and it Photoshop 6 does not work in classic while you are booted in OSX so WHY BOTHER.

I have to learn and use OSX for work, but CMBO and Photoshop are still the reason I boot into 9.1 most of the time.

-tom w

As to the road wheel, the issue in question is what you cannot usually see. I presume the first roadwheel has a trailing arm and the helical spring and shock act on the trailing arm. So yes, since it is based on the standard Pz1 there are plenty of pics. That area is perennially in shadow and mud so I have yet to see a clear shot. I have pics from Kubinka, APG and various others for reference. Thanks.

As to OSX, on my iMac at home where this is being drawn it will likely be a while until I change as I have tons of kids software that I suspect will not run well under classic. They and my wife are the primary users of those machines anyway so it really doesn't do much for me there.

At work once Photoshop and Cobalt are OSX I think we may changeover but not until. I have a ibook 600 14" that we are using to test OSX apps and general use for work. We have to run within a Windows network (and a very uncooperative IS group (and why they changed from IT to IS is beyond me as they are not interested in providing service)) so having Dave stable is a must to access printer servers and file shares for projects.

I rather like OSX, it will be a while until its as polished as classic, but once it does it will be great and well worth the effort of changing over. The GUI over UNIX is very nice (especially if you used to have to wander around SGIs implementation) and will eventually allow for all we could ask. Keep in mind I have been using Macs since the 512 came out (and the IIe before that) so transitioning through new iterations of OS is nothing unusual. Think about the change from OS6 to OS7, it took some people years to move up. Since OS 7 it has been a steady progression through to 9. I think Apple is doing a good job of moving the mob to X it will just take a while, things like iPhoto and iDVD are very good tools to coax us over once our other tools are available.

kmead,

Your need for information tickled a semiforgotten

synapse, and I actually remembered where I'd seen

what you're looking for. It's from the www.jagdtiger.de site. The link will take you to some first rate high resolution color shots of what may well be the last PzJgIb in the world. These pictures should be a huge help to you in your work.

They include detail of the specifically sought first road wheel.

http://www.jagdtiger.de/GermanTanks/PzJgIB-01.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Lord General MB:

...its slow, and "Windows like" :mad:

Windows like? I haven't had it crash yet

With 10.1, the slowness went away... except Internet Explorer (what to you expect from Microsoft?). As soon as CM runs in X and I have Photoshop 7, I will probably not boot into 9 again

Originally posted by John Kettler:

They include detail of the specifically sought first road wheel.

http://www.jagdtiger.de/GermanTanks/PzJgIB-01.htm

John,

While the first pic does indeed include a view of the first roadwheel, it hardly qualifies as a "detail" view. I doubt very much that it will provide the kind of information that Karl is looking for.

Still, they are nice pics and it's good to be reminded of that excellent site. smile.gif

Michael

Thanks John, I have those pics already as that is one of my many bookmarks. Thanks for the tip and yes that is absolutely a great site. Thanks for bringing it up. Unfortunately one cannot see the parts I am inerested in as Michael has pointed out.

From what I can see, I believe now that it is a double leading arm as oposed to the trailing arm system I suspected it to be. One pic of the vehicle shows a good partial view of the castings that make up this arrangement.

Thanks for the tips.

The "slowness" of OS X is not apparent when you start to realize you can do 3 or 4 critical tasks at once reliably, something that OS 9 & before were horrible at.

I went on a OS 9 (And thus CM) free month to force myself to learn X and I'm glad I did.

Gyrene

kmead,

Maybe this will help. See both of the PzJgIb links on the linked page. If you don't trust the models, then please see the Panzer I chapter in Hart and Hart's GERMAN TANKS OF WORLD WAR II and the Panzer I and Panzerjager photo sections in von Senger und Etterlin's GERMAN TANKS OF WORLD WAR II. The vexed front road wheel is apparently pivoted on a link from the hull and is sprung by a coil spring which angles back to an attachment point just forward of the first idler wheel. The second book referenced has a dead side right view of the PzJgIb, along with a line drawing of the left side.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/german/g-german.htm

Happy modding!

John Kettler

Bumping this to keep it from sinking into obscurity

and to suggest that kmead revisit his link assemblage on the first roadwheel after consulting the new information I've provided. It's way too spindly for the loads involved.

Michael Emrys, am glad you enjoyed the models. Was pretty blown away myself.

Regards,

John Kettler

Many thanks John, that was just the link I was looking for. What I suspected is indeed correct that is a leading arm arrangement and yes what I have so far depicted is indeed far too spindly for the loads involved :D Again thanks for the link.

My, this is a good day. Thanks. With models of that caliber I worry that my drawing is extraneous. Ah well, its a good excercise to refresh my mind to what makes up a given vehicle. Thanks. Karl