Moving/Disappearing Trees

I did a search for both the above and came up with nothing, so, I am asking if anyone has had this happen to them?

ie., I just loaded a PBEM. I checked out 2 locations. One had a halftrack behind a big yellow tree. The other, a tank behind a wooded area with NO trees in front of it (I was on the side of the wooded area). The LOS was blocked from the middle of the area. I loaded the PBEM again. The 1st instance, the big yellow tree was totally GONE!!! The 2nd instance, there were tall pines where the LOS was showing blocked.

Ok, fine! That somewhat explains why when I do an LOS, and the view "appears" to be totally clear, that I get a red/black line. But the problem is, is that it's very disconcerting and incredibly guessy as to what is and what isn't. I can't relay on my postion.

Ok, another question. Trees offer coverage. However; when I do an LOS thru a tree by a vehicle or armor, I can see right thru it. However; infantry can't see thru it. Is this also a case of, the tree really isn't there in the instance of my vehicle/armor, and that the tree is there with my infantry?

If this is all true, then I have no control over placement of units. What can I do? What do YOU do?

Nice one Gyrene :D

JAT, to add to what Radar said, the tree graphics you see on the screen are only there for esthetics - they don't affect cover or lines of sight at all, so don't worry when they jump around. You might have noticed that with Shift-T you can change the amount of tree coverage displayed on your screen, even removing them completely (which helps when you're planning moves or looking for enemies in the woods). Even if you do that, the effects of the trees are still there! What does matter to the game is the tree base, that green blotch on the ground. Sight blockage depends on how much of that tree base your LOS crosses, and cover depends on whether your unit is positioned within the borders of the tree base or not.

Thanks guys. One more question. Radar said to go to CMHQ...hmmm ok, tried Products, Resources, Support, Downloads, News, Notify, Discuss...nothing. Even did a Search on CMHQ...nada...Radar - Where is CMHQ? 2nd question, how do I get there?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radar:

First of all, everything sounds to be fine. The terrain is abstracted as in a boardgame. Go to CMHQ and D/L the terrain effects chart. It really helps, and will explain much. spam4.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the Terrain Effects chart posted here.

Player's Guide (under construction)

The "Terrain/Fortifications" link.

Actually, CMHQ is a BBS called Combat HQ that you can access for lots of great info. You'll find that after spending lots of time on the Battlefront BBS, you can go to the CMHQ BBS and spend lots more time. Heh! Go there and you can find the terrain effects chart.

Later

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abbott:

I have the Terrain Effects chart posted here.

Player's Guide (under construction)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, cool site! Lookin' good. But is there any chance you could nuke this line:

<meta content="no-cache" http-equiv="pragma">

It forces you to re-download the main page every time you go back to it. Kinda annoying. smile.gif

The write-ups are very nice. They explain things well and go into some detail but don't get bogged down with excessive rambling. Good stuff.

Just a couple of notes:

There are two different size foxholes: large and small. Squads (even half-squads) and gun emplacements create the large foxholes and Teams/HQ units make smaller ones. You can actually fit 2 teams into a large foxhole (on different sides).

You can only spot the daisy-chain minefields. Regular AT and the AP mines can only be found by running over them. :D Also, engineers will remove daisy-chain after a turn or two without wasting one of their demo charges. But to remove regular minefields they need to use a demo charge (think of it as representing a bangalore).

Good luck with the site!

- Chris