v1.01 EURO patch = 64MB!!!!!!!!

Yep, saw that 64 meg patch also. It takes me about 1 hour to download a 5 meg patch! I'm going to have to get someone to download it for me with broadband or something! When a patch that large comes out we should have the option of getting the patch sent to us if we have a 56K or slower modem. Even if we are charged a small fee would be ok with me. :(

Crikey I agree - it's a whopper.

I got the non-censored version after a multi-evening download session, but now it seems CDV have realised their mistake and posted a new d/l.

I can't believe they've copied skins off the CD, what are they doing? Where can I add my name to the long list of anti-CDViks?

Well, for all of you who wondered what it was like to do Beta testing on the game, welcome to the land of MEGA DOWNLOADS!

The Euro patch sounds like it's about the size of several of the Betas that had to be downloaded. Man, that was tough. You have my full sympathy. Look on the bright side. You won't have to download a re-revised version again next week ...and again the week after! ;)tongue.gif

If you're on 56K, make sure to use Getright software or similar software that allows you to do the download in chunks, resume, etc, so you don't spend 8 hours and then your cat runs over the cord.

Do a search for Getright downloader, it's free and is the best available.

Guys, dont rag on CDV for the size of the patch. Its not really their fault. The Euro patch is for all three languages French, English, and German but the majority of the size difference is due to the inclusion of textures that WE managed to squeeze in at the last minute on the domestic CD that were't on the CDV version since they didnt have the extra time that we did.

For those on dialup, set it to download overnight. Thats what I used to do when I had a 28.8k modem.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

... Its not really their fault. The Euro patch is for all three languages French, English, and German ...

Hmm. Seems to me there is at least a partial solution there. Its on the tip of my tongue but I just can't grasp it ... ;)

Im certainly no fan of CDV ... but I have to agree with Madmatt, that this isnt their problem.

If they hadnt included the extra textures ... people would complain ..... they did include them and still complaints.

Perhaps 2 versions of the CDV patch would help ... one with the textures, one without.

Then its up to the individual to choose .... of course it may be the case that the extra textures are required by the patch - i dunno !

With patches and CMMOS4 etc...thank god for Broadband.

Lou2000

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Guys, dont rag on CDV for the size of the patch. Its not really their fault. The Euro patch is for all three languages French, English, and German but the majority of the size difference is due to the inclusion of textures that WE managed to squeeze in at the last minute on the domestic CD that were't on the CDV version since they didnt have the extra time that we did.

Madmatt

Seeing that the patch seems to include the files in compressed form, I suspect that it contains three CMBB executables (one for each language). I haven't tried how much these can be compressed, but having two unneeded 8MB files in the archive should definitely add a couple of MB.

You're right about the different deadlines for CDV and Battlefront, but I also think that the copy protection and the pdf manual have cost a couple of MB on the CDV CD that must now be downloaded in the patch.

CDV is not responsible for the entire extra 40MB, but for a good part of it, of that I'm quite sure.

Dschugaschwili

This size of this patch is a bugger for those who are bandwidth challenged. However if any UK player really has a problem getting it maybe I can help.

If you drop me an email (the address is in the profile - note the spelling mistake, I don't teach English) I will send you a copy on CD.

BFC I presume this is OK with you.

Cheers

Originally posted by Coffin 'Enry:

This size of this patch is a bugger for those who are bandwidth challenged. However if any UK player really has a problem getting it maybe I can help.

If you drop me an email (the address is in the profile - note the spelling mistake, I don't teach English) I will send you a copy on CD.

BFC I presume this is OK with you.

Cheers

Now that's the Christmas spirit!

KC