mystery terrain - fun new bug in Mac version's graphics?

Nope, not seen this 'pollution' on my Mac

DP450Mhz Mac, System 9.2.2 with aftermarket ATI AGP Radeon 32mb, Open GL 1.2.4

IMHO Check that your graphics card drivers are the latest versions and if you have the time try updating your OS from 9.1 to 9.2.2 (d/l available from Apple website, admittedly quite large d/l).

Hope that helps let us kno how you get on

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The stirring conclusion to our saga of woe and intrigue...

After updating to System 9.2.2 everything looked spiffy. And so it remained, until the CD arrived and I installed the full game -- then things went from spiffy to supercagafunkadelic.

Behold: the Paisleygrenadier!

gerbil.jpg

Note that this undocumented feature includes the legendary unsichtsimonbarsinistergewehr, or invisible rifle, a little-known adaptation of the same technology behind Wonder Woman's plane. American scientific inquiries into Amazonian camoflage went uniformly and disastrously wrong, most famously with the so-called Philadelphia Experiment and, of course, Harvey the Invisible Rabbit.

Unfortunately, the Paisleygrenadiers do not appear to be compatible with v3.0 of the Macintosh nvidia driver, so whatever you do, don't download it from here if your Mac has an nvidia card.

Originally posted by Mostro:

If only some textures don't work, maybe you have some of them corrupted. Seems more as a silly mod than a driver error.

I'm running the demo in a PIII 450 with 512Mb memory and a 16Mb Video card and I get the same anomalies.

I hope my PC is not turning into a Mac.... ;)

Michael Emrys:

Well, Specs, I don't know what to tell you. I'm running 9.1, OpenGL v1.2.1, and the 2.6 driver set and I'm doing fine.

It's probably an issue with v2.4 of the nvidia driver, which is what the System 9.2.2 update installed on my drive. As noted, v3.0 fixes the Paisleytruppen thing -- I didn't try v2.6, as I found 3.0 first.

Mostro:

If only some textures don't work, maybe you have some of them corrupted.

No, the earlier diagnosis of driver trouble seems to have been on target, as the paisley uniforms disappeared without touching any of the game's files.

tero:

I'm running the demo in a PIII 450 with 512Mb memory and a 16Mb Video card and I get the same anomalies.

Cross-platform weirdness! FWIW, the Paisleygrenadiers were the only problem I noticed on my Mac -- my brave Russian soldiers wanted nothing to do with such bourgeois decadence.

Originally posted by Specs:

It's probably an issue with v2.4 of the nvidia driver, which is what the System 9.2.2 update installed on my drive. As noted, v3.0 fixes the Paisleytruppen thing -- I didn't try v2.6, as I found 3.0 first.

BTW, I am thinking it is probably a good thing before you update your drivers—if you already have a pretty good set for the important things you do on your computer—to make a duplicate set and place them in a folder in a safe place. When you update, it seems that the new drivers simply overwrite the existing ones without preserving them. If you have a duplicate set, you can put them back in if the new ones don't work.

Michael

Originally posted by tero:

I hope my PC is not turning into a Mac.... ;)

Hmmm... if my PC turned into a Mac, then I could order the game direct from BTS! And it'd change its colour into something more lively. (Kinda like once when I was having hangover and reading my e-mails... oh, I'll save that for another time.)