Will it work?

I'm wondering if CMBB will work on my computer. I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with a Intel Pentium 4 processor at 2.0 GHZ. My memomory is 256 MB DDR-SDRAM at 266 Mhz and I have the latest ( I assume ) Nvidia 64 MB graphics card - plays another sim game I have { IL 2 Sturmovik } with no problems so far. I'm asking because although I've read the game requirements I'm still unsure. I don't want to lay out a lot of cash & find out the game doesn't work. I'd appreciate any help with this one.

It darn well should.

Last night, I was playing the CMBB demo, "Citadel Schwerpunkt" scenario, on my aging 450 MHz Pentium II w/ 384MB RAM and a GF2MX400/64MB, at 1280x1024 IIRC. Turn computation time was a bit slow, and scrolling somewhat choppy, but it was quite playable. It also handled the full CMBO (*) pretty decently (with a whole host of vehicle and terrain mods, many of them hi-res), although chaotic armor-heavy scenarios like "Sherbrooke Fusiliers" could bog down.

I would really, really hope that your machine should handle it well.

(*) And it's relevant, because the CMBB engine is heavily based on CMBO. The full rewrite may come next if we're lucky.

It should be fine.

I have: Intel Celeron 566mhz, 191MB RAM, 12MB Video RAM (PCI!). The CMBB Tutorial was very smooth, though that's small and not a great example.

However for CMBO, I've played 8000pt., armor-heavy scenarios (i.e. South of Sword), and some hi-res mods, w/o great difficulty...the turn computations prolly take 2 minutes or so, and once in awhile it would crash during that, but otherwise it was fine.

Now how will my 12MB vidcard handle CMBB...we'll see. 64MB PCI cards are dirt cheap these days...I'll probably pick up a GF2 MMX/PCI type.

I too was wondering whether my spec was up to running CMBB? I have a "What the Butler saw" machine with comb and paper to handle the SFX. It runs at 1 Hz (2 if I poke the hamster on his wheel with a pointy stick). Is it worth me splashing out when the games's released?

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I'm wondering if CMBB will work on my computer. I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with a Intel Pentium 4 processor at 2.0 GHZ. My memomory is 256 MB DDR-SDRAM at 266 Mhz and I have the latest ( I assume ) Nvidia 64 MB graphics card - plays another sim game I have { IL 2 Sturmovik } with no problems so far. I'm asking because although I've read the game requirements I'm still unsure. I don't want to lay out a lot of cash & find out the game doesn't work. I'd appreciate any help with this one.

System Requirements MINIMUM (PC/Mac):

Processor: Pentium 500MHz (PC), G3 (Mac)

Video Card: 16Mb Video card capable of running in 800x600 resolution or higher

System Memory: 64Mb of RAM

Hard Drive Space: 1.2 Gigabytes of Hard Drive space required (160Mb required for Demo)

Other Requirements: CD-ROM Drive

DirectX 8.0 compatible sound and video cards (PC)

28.8 modem or Network/Internet access for multiplayer

------------------------------------------

System Requirements RECOMMENDED (PC/Mac):

Processor: Pentium 800MHz or faster (PC), G4 (Mac)

Video Card: 32Mb Video card capable of running in 800x600 resolution or higher

System Memory: 128MB of RAM

Hard Drive Space: 1.2 Gigabytes of Hard Drive space required (160Mb required for Demo)

Other Requirements: CD-ROM Drive

DirectX 8.0 compatible sound and video cards (PC)

28.8 modem or Network/Internet access for multiplayer

---------------------------------------------

[ September 06, 2002, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Abbott ]

I was asking because I live in Canada & would have to pay for the game in US funds. Judging from the other Battlefront prices; CMBB will run about $40-$45 US ( not including S&H ). With the exchange rate the way it is right now & if I have to pay duty ( which is a lottery here - sometimes you do & sometimes you don't ); that's a lot of bucks ( nearly $100 CDN ) to lay out on a game no matter how good it is. My computer is NOT a piece of junk as someone so " thoughtfully " pointed out. I had a legitmate question & I don't appreciate being talked down to. People on this forum should realize that not everyone is a technical wizard. Some of us are still learning the ropes, so to speak.

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I was asking because I live in Canada & would have to pay for the game in US funds. Judging from the other Battlefront prices; CMBB will run about $40-$45 US ( not including S&H ). With the exchange rate the way it is right now & if I have to pay duty ( which is a lottery here - sometimes you do & sometimes you don't ); that's a lot of bucks ( nearly $100 CDN ) to lay out on a game no matter how good it is. My computer is NOT a piece of junk as someone so " thoughtfully " pointed out. I had a legitmate question & I don't appreciate being talked down to. People on this forum should realize that not everyone is a technical wizard. Some of us are still learning the ropes, so to speak.

it was pretty clear he was just kidding you :D , since your system basically towers over the min and even the recommened specs i think.

I've got a two year old machine with an Intel Celeron too. The only upgrade I've done with it is to add a ton of RAM to it. I've had no problems with either CMBO or the new demo...although, last night, the demo quit on me when I went to click on a unit while the movie was running. That's also happened a few times when I was playing a PBEM in CMBO. Have no idea what that's all about.