New wheat mod - pix inside

Nice thought, to improve the wheatfield like that. One thought though; in WW2, fields were not harvested by giant combines. I will defer to anyone who has better info, but in Europe, I would expect almost all harvesting to be by small horse drawn harvesters, with a cut of a few feet (6ft?). The field you have has a very wide cut (as shown by the edge strip). I suspect the horse drawn harvesters left almost no border at all. Trivial point I know, but 1940's wheat fields should not look like the mid west, or Norfolk in UK.

Anyone more expert than me (i.e. actually know anything!) on European agri history?! smile.gif

[ February 10, 2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Sailor Malan ]

I never got my CMMOS mods working correctly and in the end had a horrible jumble of different markings and hues in 90% of my Stuarts and Shermans... Just cleaned my whole BMP folder some time ago and planning to give another try...

By the way, nice wheat there. I'll use that when available =)

I was hoping to finish it this weekend, but Day of Defeat 2.0 kinda ruined my plans. This is my first mod, so I'm learning as I go. The screen shot hides it, but the tiles don't match 100% so I have to fix that. And do a winter wheat. This is all assuming that Tom's Battle of the Bulge mod isn't released because if it is forget about my PC being used for anything but winter battles.

The Stuart looks like that because it models a one-of-a-kind limited production American-British joint effort used only the the 23rd division ... um, or something.

TANGENT:

Seriously though, unlike most people around here my WWII history knowledge is zip. I was drawn to CMBO becuas becuase it looked like a fun game (I was right!). It's the first war game I've ever played. I knew the difference between "tank" and "jeep" but that was about it. So I can be forgiving about a Brit riding around in a US tank because I don't really know the difference. But that hybrid was pretty ugly so I fixed that. smile.gif

If I have one criticism of CMBO (and it's about the only one), it's that there is a certain assumption about the players military knowledge. If you think a tank is a tank it can be quite frustrating trying to figure out which one to use in a given situation. Granted I can always look this stuff up, but it'd be nice to have a little paragraph in the manual to refernce while I'm in the thick of a game.

/TANGENT

Originally posted by murpes:

TANGENT:

Seriously though, unlike most people around here my WWII history knowledge is zip. I was drawn to CMBO becuas becuase it looked like a fun game (I was right!)...

...If I have one criticism of CMBO (and it's about the only one), it's that there is a certain assumption about the players military knowledge. If you think a tank is a tank it can be quite frustrating trying to figure out which one to use in a given situation. Granted I can always look this stuff up, but it'd be nice to have a little paragraph in the manual to refernce while I'm in the thick of a game.

/TANGENT

Heh you do have a point... Well, in-game, the unit information shows if you have a "close support" or "main battle" tank =P

I know where you are coming from... Being interested in history, particularly military, and having played the Steel Panthers series for example helped me out but the first time I fired a TCP/IP with a friend and set out to buy units... Boy, it was lucky shots as to the exact invidual capabilities of the tanks. Reading about campaigns or battles or a certain war usually supplies you with almost no technical data on the equipment used, so I had to get to know the vehicles and the weaponry better and in more detail then I ever thought was necessary.

About a manual, though... I don't think more accuracy on part of the vehicles and units is feasible, there are just so many the cost of printing a 1000 page tome to go with the game would drive players and BTS crazy. I think. And vague pointers like "Use Close Support Tanks Like the Crocodile to Support Your Infantry" would make your average serious wargamer cry. Twitch games like Total Annihilation need unit manuals; the units are fictious. Its like this: BTS will not write us infantry, armored combat or any such manuals. Combat Mission strives to be, and is, so good a simulation all you need to know is already out there, in the real life, and done by professionals of war making.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by murpes:

I was hoping to finish it this weekend, but Day of Defeat 2.0 kinda ruined my plans. This is my first mod, so I'm learning as I go. The screen shot hides it, but the tiles don't match 100% so I have to fix that. And do a winter wheat

is there winter wheat? i think tom did one using the brush tiles because there were no wheat tiles in winter.