just bought game, advice much appreciated

having just bought the game, started reading the manual and playing a few small battles, i'm a bit overwelmed by the size and scope of this game. Any advice on where to find newbie information, hints, etc, would be much appreciated.

oh and this amazing game runs like a charm on my p3 500mhz 64mg of ram pc, i thought id have to upgrade but i spose i got lucky.

Welcome to the forum and the CM World.

There is a lot of detail but fortunately there are a number of people and resources that are available.

A newbie would do well to make use of the tutorial scenarios provided on the disc or the demo. Definitely stay with the smaller battles until you start to get a grasp of the system. Fortunately the mastering of the intuitive interface is easy, but mastering the game is not so there is lots of challenge ahead which means infinite replay value.

Try the Tips and Tricks section of the forum for lists of useful posts.

Additionally, searching for a specific area of help and if this is not satisfying, ask a specific question regarding a particular problem you are having. Someone will come along to give you an answer.

BDH

OK, if you have the CDV (European) version, the tutorial stuff is buried deep in the adobe manual.

Things to play first are

Iron Roadblock as allied

Jaegermeister as allied. If you are following the tutorial for Jaegermeister please note that it has its left and right quite confused.

After that I have continued to stick with <1000 pt small battles and played Hill 312 next, again as allies. It took me some time to correctly coordinate my infantry but I feel I am getting a handle on that now.

Much of the tactical / tip info here refers to CMBO which apparently is of little use to CMBB players due to CMBB's greater realism but the forums do have good advice.

Im about 4 days ahead of you in terms of experience and the initial OMG what do I do now is starting to wear off.

thanks for the info much appreciated, i think i might devote a couple of hours to reading before ai start up the game again. i've never bought a game quite like this before. The sense of realism and strategy, i hate pointless tank rushing games like c+c. Also the fact u can zoom right down to the soldiers level and watch them march to their death as shells and bullets fly past, very realistic, i almost feel sorry for them.

Past the tutorial battles, definitely stick to playing defense for awhile. Playing defense will ease you into the gameplay and interface, as you will seldom have to coordinate the movement of multiple units at the same time. Then move on to the QB meeting engagements, this will give you a great taste of maneuvering your forces to engage the enemy, but without presenting you "a tough nut to crack." Move quickly to seize keypoints in the terrain, then switch to defense. Once you feel comfortable with the game, and feel like you stand a good chance against the AI in these circumstances, move on to attacks and assualts. This is where the AI will really give you a run for your money. Good luck!

I think the best advice (which I keep reminding myself) is think Real World™ What would you actually do in such a situation. Actual military tactics work. Game style play doesn't. Establishing a fire base with suppressing fire works alot better than just running your guys across an open field.

Following the line of the hills to stay out of sight, things like that will reward you. Learn that use of smoke is your friend, planes even your own often are not.

Take little steps, read some history about small unit tactics. A good set of primers is the Battlefront Bookshelf

Enjoy