Which CDV cover art used?

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

What amazes me is that NOTHING in this cover has any semblance of Eastern Front.. :confused:

Was that the planned cover for GI Combat ? :eek: :D

Hey! There's snow, some barbed wire, and a Panther. That's Eastern Front(ish). Of course, the American soldiers in the front sort of ruin the whole thing. smile.gif

Thanks Sytass. Interesting. The second image shows a slight attempt at 'Russification'. I wonder if the publishers were concerned about how a more obvious Russian presence on the cover would affect sales in Germany? From a marketing POV I acn understand how they might want to create sub-conscious associations between CM2 and Band Of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan.

Originally posted by Headcount:

Thanks Sytass. Interesting. The second image shows a slight attempt at 'Russification'. I wonder if the publishers were concerned about how a more obvious Russian presence on the cover would affect sales in Germany? From a marketing POV I acn understand how they might want to create sub-conscious associations between CM2 and Band Of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan.

Why ? "Band of Comrades" and "Saving Private Ivan" sounds cool though ... :D:D

And I'm not sure that a guy buying CM2 thinking he'll see GIs will be happy when he'll see his Soviet troops shouting "Hurrah" !! :rolleyes:

A couple of facts...

1. CDV is entirely responsible for box art. It is quite expensive to produce and as part of our arrangement it was up to them to do and for us to approve.

2. We nearly [censored] when we saw the original box art. I'll just leave it at that smile.gif

3. I'll not comment on this one either :D

4. We had a weekend to "fix" it, and only a weekend. Dan and I did the best we could and then CDV did some final touchup work.

5. We aren't totally happy with it (of course), but wow... the improved cover is at least not an embarrassment.

And yes, if we do a deal with CDV or another publisher we are going to "insist" on earlier input. This shouldn't be necessary, but someone screwed up and didn't think we needed to be involved until it was pretty much finished. So it is best to have stuff like this in writing because it minimizes the chances of a screwup where both parties have a chance of coming out looking stupid. And a freak'n US GI on the cover of an Eastern Front game would do that for sure smile.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

A couple of facts...

1. CDV is entirely responsible for box art. It is quite expensive to produce and as part of our arrangement it was up to them to do and for us to approve.

2. We nearly [censored] when we saw the original box art. I'll just leave it at that smile.gif

3. I'll not comment on this one either :D

4. We had a weekend to "fix" it, and only a weekend. Dan and I did the best we could and then CDV did some final touchup work.

5. We aren't totally happy with it (of course), but wow... the improved cover is at least not an embarrassment.

And yes, if we do a deal with CDV or another publisher we are going to "insist" on earlier input. This shouldn't be necessary, but someone screwed up and didn't think we needed to be involved until it was pretty much finished. So it is best to have stuff like this in writing because it minimizes the chances of a screwup where both parties have a chance of coming out looking stupid. And a freak'n US GI on the cover of an Eastern Front game would do that for sure smile.gif

Steve

That crowd could make a mess of selling lifebelts on the Titanic. I'm reminded of a saying involving the words "piss-up" and "brewery". What a shower of wasters.

:mad:

[ September 30, 2002, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Holdit ]

Originally posted by Holdit:

That crowd could make a mess of selling lifebelts on the Titanic. I'm reminded of a saying involving the words "piss-up" and "brewery". What a shower of wasters.

So, so. Things could have been a lot worse. I mean, they actually managed to put a Panther on the cover, did they not? Could have been a lot worse. Imagine an GI dragging his buddy in front on a charging WV Beetle. That would have been bad. :D

Hi all

My guess it was done by Lt George for King and Country ? smile.gif

For Blackadder Goes Forth fans ;)

'George and Blackadder stand at attention. Melchett and Darling are inspecting the map (drawn by George). Apparently the entire German army is massed opposite Blackadders trench'

Darling : Are you sure this is what you saw, Blackadder ?

Blackadder : Absolutely. I mean there may have been a few more armaments factories and not quite so many elephants, but.............

Melchett : Mmm. You know what this means ?

Darling : If its true- we'll have to cancel the push.

Melchett : Exactly.......

George : Oh damn.

Blackadder : What a nuiscance

Melchett : Exactly.......what the enemy would expect us to do, and therefore exactly what we won't do.

Blackadder : Ah now.........

Melchett : if we attack them where their line is strongest, Fritz will think our reconnaisance is a total shambles. This will lull him into a false sense of security, and then next week we can attack where the line is actually badly defended and win the greatest victory since the Winchester flower-arranging team beat Harrow by 12 sore bottoms to one.

Blackadder : Tell me have you ever visited the planet Earth sir ?

Melchett : So best fighting trousers on Blackadder

George : Permission to yell 'Bravo' at an annoyingly loud volume sir.

Melchett : Permission granted

George : BRAVO !!!

Melchett : Thats the spirit Lieutenant, Just your kind of caper eh Blackadder ?

Blackadder : Yes

Darling : Good luck against those elephants......

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

Only good thing is when the complete manual I ordered turns up I can throw away the DVD case and pretend I bought the whole lot mail-order.. :D

I wonder if the publishers were concerned about how a more obvious Russian presence on the cover would affect sales in Germany?

Couldn't they have just picked cover art showing German soldiers ? The only thing that seems certain is that GIs on the box of an Eastern Front game is hardly likely to convince anybody to buy it - it just looks like one of those cheap budget efforts.

[ September 30, 2002, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Hertston ]

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Holdit:

So, so. Things could have been a lot worse. I mean, they actually managed to put a Panther on the cover, did they not? Could have been a lot worse. Imagine an GI dragging his buddy in front on a charging WV Beetle. That would have been bad. :D </font>

Thanks for the insight, Steve. :mad:

People outside nowadays "Germany" can hardly know what the reasons for such a behaviour are.

I'll try to explain: all of our grandparents were murderers.

There were no good german soldiers fighting for their country.

Only the deserters were acting in a honorably way.

Even more: the school books don't know a difference of Waffen-SS, SS and Sondereinsatzkommandos.

And till today i've never seen only ONCE of a "documentation" on TV, where a historican explained the differences - and there are a LOT of "documentations" about our worst of all nations and our BAD BAD and stupid grandparents.

If you say publicly, that the Waffen-SS was a normal fighting part of the Heer, you are a Nazi.

If you are wearing hundreds of years old german emblems and runes, you're a Nazi.

The system established a historical-picture of german history, that contains bad things only.

If you are declaring, that you are proud to be a german - you're a Nazi.

If you say, you can identify with old german culture: you're a Nazi.

For people not living in nowadays "Germany" it's incredibly, how we are treating our fallen soldiers.

I don't want to talk about the reasons how and why this happened, 'cause this would lead away from the topic.

Summaring up: don't expect from a normal "German" that he is going upright.

He's spitting on the dead and fallen grandparents and he's feeling like a freedom-fighter, when he's pissing on their graves.

Making a russian-looking cover, would not be very attracting for buyers in Britain or France.

But making a - like BFC did in the normal version - germans not demonizing cover, would be politically incorrect in Germany and making it a Nazi-game.

Making a cover demonizing germans and making russians to heros or liberators, would not be understood in many other regions and countries (i.e. Finland; nordic countries) and would also not be psychologically attractive.

Therefore the best tactical and most detailed WWII combat-simulation in the world, dealing with Barbarossa, gets from a "german" company a pilitically correct and therefore historically wrong cover.

The behaviour of CDV is only fitting into the whole condition of this society - not worth calling a nation.

1945: finis germaniae.

[ October 01, 2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]