Best Basic Scenarios for 2 new players?

I am a new player to CM and am about to start my first email game (Elsdorf), I've run through all the basic scenarios but I do not have a real feel for which ones would be balanced for a 2 plyer game by email. Has

anyone advice one what is the most balanced of the Basic Scenarios (version 1.12)?

Edi :confused:

The best way to get balanced practice scenarios for pbem is to let the computer pick the forces of both sides for Quick Battles, this way neither side will have an advantage, unless you get really unlucky and draw some bad units.

Not a common occurence, but it happens.

Good luck.

Gyrene

Gyrene, that is not necessarily true, since the computer might pick forces for which you are unaccustomed. I would play a quick battle meeting engagement, and agree with the player to get basic stuff, nothing fancy like FLAK guns or the like.

Make it small. Company of infantry, one forward observer, and 2-3 tanks, shermans of Panzer IVs.

Use big hills and a village. It will help you understand LOS, and negate any long range fire. Have fun.

Once again it depends on what sort of playing experience you want. If you're interested in just trying out the game mechanics and getting to know the system then a QB will definately give you all of that you can handle in 30 turns or so.

If you want something a little more "historical" then I would suggest going to some of the CM sites online and downloading some scenarios. www.combat-missions.net is a great source for scenarios. They come with screenshots and a short narrative, perfect for getting just what you are looking for. Though most of them are based on historical situations they have been tweaked to provide balanced play. Great place to start.

I'm definitely a devotee of the computer-pick method, especially during the learning phase. Panzer Leader is correct about getting some unexpected units, but learning to play with Wasps, Puppchen and the like is half the challenge and more than half the joy in my book. Plus, those units might be the type that start showing up regularly on your human-chosen forces, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spanish Bombs:

Wasps, Puppchen (snip) Plus, those units might be the type that start showing up regularly on your human-chosen forces, too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, they do in mass quanties.

:-(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Toad.

Two scenarios, one in the open and another in city, small, quick play and challenging as 2 player games are on the CD.

They are, as Toad mentioned, "Wiltz" and also "Aachen."

Both of these will give you a good introduction to the mechanics of the game and are not overwhelming.

The tutorial scenario is pretty good too for starters.