Unfit arty spotters

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />"Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! "

Did somebody actually say that, or are you making it up?

Michael</font>

You should.

I doubt the fire of the spotter will be less precise.

But the spotter will be slower, and CMBB spotters are no roadrunners to spart from.

When they come under minimal fire and get into forced sneak mode they'll exhaust in no time. And I bet the recovery time is worse, too.

If their position gets overrun they cannot get out. They bring many victory points for the opponent and non-radio spotters cannot ride back on vehicles either.

Having said that - I kinda like the 152mm spotter with 20 rounds for ... 51 points :D

EDIT: remarks below are right: you cannot choose in the quickbattle forces menu. Doh. Bummer. I want my 152mm :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ December 13, 2002, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Originally posted by PantherG:

Yes.

How?! In a QB you have to select the fitness for ALL the troops or pick "Random", in which case it picks for you.

Er, I'm guessing you now have an entire Company of infantry that is strapped to oxygen tanks and wheelchairs, correct? :D

[ December 13, 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Terrapin ]

Buy unfit spotters if you wanna; for me they'll hardly move their fat butts as it is.

The vastly more interesting question, (for me I mean), is what effect does it have to purchase a *Veteran/Crack/Elite* spotter?

Is he "better" at saying "to the left"? Or would it (almost) purely be a matter of self-preservation if bad luck happens, or less panicky if a few bullets come sailing to the backfield??? For better accuracy, I'd take it, but it's hard to rationalize that "ability".

Eden

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

The vastly more interesting question, (for me I mean), is what effect does it have to purchase a *Veteran/Crack/Elite* spotter?

Actually - the delay times can be much quicker for crack spotters. I ran a little test awhile back and if I remember correctly, Conscript and green had the same delay and adjust times; regular and vets were the same and crack and elite were the same.

So in other words don't buy green, vet, or elite. At least as far as I could tell.

I just wonder if that's based on something defensible;

Not sure if I follow what you mean there eden. The delay times were identical for green/conscript spotters if that's what you mean. As far as accuracy of the barrage, that's really hard to say if there's a difference as it seems very random to begin with.

... is it reasonable, or historical or based on RealLifeâ„¢ in any way that a Crack spotter would have a smaller delay time than a Regular.

Yes, it is reasonable and historical and realistic.

I'm reasoning that all anyone has to do is give some feedback to the gunner, but I don't have the knowledge. My understanding is that he just calls in the adjustments, and does not need to do anything like break out his sliderule and do some math, ...
Ah yes, but its the quality of the feedback that changes. With better feedback the whole adjustment process is shortened, and one gets to FFE faster. Which, oddly enough, is exactly what happens in CMBB ;)

Regards

JonS

[ December 14, 2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by JonS:

Ah yes, but its the quality of the feedback that changes. With better feedback the whole adjustment process is shortened, and one gets to FFE faster. Which, oddly enough, is exactly what happens in CMBB ;)

I also always assumed that a more experienced spotter would likely be attached to a more experienced gun battery, which would be quicker at calculating and laying in adjustments, etc.

Originally posted by Frunze:

According to the manual, your artillery is more likely to fall off-target if the spotter is inexperienced.

I've had conscript spotters before. Once called in a non-line of site area fire, and it was like the barrage came in everywhere BUT the spotting location. It went OUT OF ITS WAY to not hit that spot. :D