Interesting photo of Pz I combat engineer vehicle ???

Hi,

It is Ladungsleger auf Panzerkapfwagen I Ausf B an end of war picture where the Germans are experimenting with catapulting explosives into the Russian lines.

The crew would drive the vehicle full pelt towards the position and at a 100 meters would do a hand brake stop and let go with the catapult.

It has been reported that they managed to get a 200 meter throw with this method.

It was preferable to do a downhill approach as this method back fired when used uphill and several crews were lost until they realised why it was not working.

As a side note they had problems getting enough elastic due to war shortages. This was rectified by a call to German women to give up their bra's for the greater good of the German nation.

Through this sacrifice and sagging breasts these units were able to continue right upto the last few days of the war.

H

;)

Edited to steal "SAMi V's" info "Ladungsleger auf Panzerkapfwagen I Ausf B"

[ October 24, 2002, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

That is Ladungsleger auf Panzerkapfwagen I Ausf B and that one on the pic is version Plate 67. There is one other version of this called Plate 68 which had this slide at the rear to deposit a charge. This Plate 67 has a cable-operated arm which pivoted over the tank to place the 50kg charge behind the vehicle.

So yes, it's a demolition charge-laying tank to clear paths (defences & obstacles) for assaulting troops.