Help Re: Armour Quality On Tigers Please

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Penetration at Weak Spot is without a doubt THE "Magic Bullet" in this game, and in my personal experience this little "feature" generally works largly to the benefit of the Allied player. smile.gif or :( depending....

-tom w<hr></blockquote>

Hmm, interesting, this got me thinking as i've never seen a 20mm Flak get a weak spot penetration, but considering the fast ROF and 4 shell bursts it should have a chance of getting some MG port or other weak spot penetrations from time to time.

Just thinking here.

Weak spot penetration is a 1% chance of reducing armor thickness by 30-50%. So a 20mm on a serious tank will usually still not penetrate even if the dice rools for it.

When the tank has a shot trap, the chance is bigger. Steve said it's 10%, I think it's more like 3-5%.

I had 20mm knock out Shermans, BTW.

The last time this topic came up, I did a test with 20 Stuarts firing at 20 Tigers at 200 meters. 1 Tiger was KOed by a weak spot and there were several gun and mobility hits.

I am not aware of a frontal kill by a Stuart in the war, but then again I am not aware of a Stuart shooting it out frontally with a Tiger at 200 meters during the war either.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

Weak spot penetration is a 1% chance of reducing armor thickness by 30-50%. So a 20mm on a serious tank will usually still not penetrate even if the dice rools for it.

When the tank has a shot trap, the chance is bigger. Steve said it's 10%, I think it's more like 3-5%.

I had 20mm knock out Shermans, BTW.<hr></blockquote>

Impressive. i have'nt been able to do this, but i have only attemted it once. The attention to detail in this game is great!

The PanzerII (Lynx) that fired on the sherman was about 500 meters away i think, it shot off a few rounds, blew its smoke charges and motored away to saftey, setting up a nice distraction for my Panzer IVH that was close by, to get into posistion a couple times and ultimatly take out the 76mm Sherman.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

I am not aware of a frontal kill by a Stuart in the war, but then again I am not aware of a Stuart shooting it out frontally with a Tiger at 200 meters during the war either.<hr></blockquote>

Because a Stuart crew insisting in going toe to toe with a Tiger always lost that bet? Stuff like that isn't conducive to one's health. I'm sure they weren't thinking, "We've got a 1-10% chance of getting a lucky shot through a vision slit and knocking out that Ti"--BOOOM! Purple hearts for everyone! smile.gif

Thanks for the responses, I'm suprised the Stuarts only have a 1% chance of a weak point hit, it seemed much more frequent than that. I'll run it again and take proper notes soon.

Re: the 20mm thing also mentioned, I've run tests on these and they easily kill Shermans by knocking out the Gun and Tracks which forces a bail out. They usually need 2 turns of continuous firing to do it, but as they are incredibly difficult to spot (impossible over 300m) it can be done.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Warmaker:

Because a Stuart crew insisting in going toe to toe with a Tiger always lost that bet? Stuff like that isn't conducive to one's health. <hr></blockquote>

Except for the one who knocked out a Kingtiger by firing into the rear point-blank while retreating from St. Vith I believe. Then again, even the commanding officer of the Sergeant TC in question thought the guy was nuts. Made it out okay too.