Dug-in tanks: why are they immobile ?

dima

I am sorry if this has been descussed before (it must have been but search didn't give anything usefull) so here's the deal:

Why dug-in tanks remain stationary in battle. Don't know about US and Germans, but in russian tank manuals it was clearly stated that When digging in, tank crew must make sure that tank can get out easily.

What are the prospects for CMBB ?

[ February 24, 2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: dima ]

Originally posted by dima:

I am sorry if this has been descussed before (it must have been but search didn't give anything usefull) so here's the deal:

Why dug-in tanks remain stationary in battle. Don't know about US and Germans, but in russian tank manuals it was clearly stated that When digging in, tank crew must make sure that tank can get out easily.

What are the prospects for CMBB ?

the theory in CMBO was that the tanks that can be dug in were in fact immobile to begin with, which is why they were dug in to defensive positions only.

I think that covers it

-tom w

With that being the case (being able to move tanks out from their immoblie dug-in positions), will we still be able to immobilize them in the manner that they are now in CMBO? The reason I ask, is because this will probably be how scenario designers will simulate the German late war immobile tank turrets that were set up as AT guns in the last weeks of the war.

VJ --

Would dropping the tank on a rubble tile and lowering the elevation a step work? Or is that too coarse-grained? (Speaking of which, what's the tile size in CM:BB? Hrm.)

Patgod --

Enemy units can't hit the hull of the tank if it's buried, and what they CAN hit presents a smaller target. Of course, if the turret armor is very weak compared to the hull armor, this may actually be a negative (IIRC, CM:BO tanks do NOT specifically target tank parts based on relative armor strength; that is, they don't say, "My AP rounds will have a high chance of bouncing off the hull but will more easily penetrate the turret, so I'll try the latter". Digging in leaves the opponent no possible target except the turret).

Originally posted by Mud:

VJ --

Would dropping the tank on a rubble tile and lowering the elevation a step work? Or is that too coarse-grained? (Speaking of which, what's the tile size in CM:BB? Hrm.)

Not good there. (A) Rubble tiles reduces LOS. The tile size depends on the size of building.(B)IIRC, The AFV wont be considered to be hull-down either.

Originally posted by Mud:

VJ --

Last I heard (on this forum somewhere) each tile is 20m x 20m.

I read somewhere, it needs 5 min. to start an WWII Tank engine. Dont now, if the resurce mean only russian tanks or other "diesel" Vehikels...

Could be a nice feature for CM:BB, if we can hide tanks like AT weapons, but only with shut down engines..and if you want drive around, the tank needs to start his engine.

Vader:

Tank turrets were allready used in the italian campaign 43`.

Originally posted by Maple Tree:

How do I dig in a tank ?

I never heard of this before.

IN some Scenarios when the german's are on Defense one of the options in the set-up for vehicles is to dig-in

this is set by the scenario designer.

check out the map editor and play with it if you like.

I do not know of a specific "last ditch German as the defender scenario" off hand but I'm sure someone here can post a scenario that will let you dig in vehicles.

-tom w

Originally posted by Maple Tree:

How do I dig in a tank ?

In the scenario editor, go to Perameters, and check the box that allows defending tanks to dig in. Then, click on a tank and hit space. This will bring up the menu, which will now contain a "Dig in" command.

If you want to simulate tanks that have prepared hull down positions that they can move away from, use a short section of wall in front of the tank. This will have the same hull down effect as digging in, but the tank will still be able to move.

Scenario designers- never ever dig in turretless armor such as StuGs and jagdpanthers. Dug in tanks can't rotate, and are helpless against flanking attacks.

Okay, is it possible to have a 'dig-in' command in a Quick Battle ? Or only Scenario's ?

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Maple Tree:

How do I dig in a tank ?

In the scenario editor, go to Perameters, and check the box that allows defending tanks to dig in. Then, click on a tank and hit space. This will bring up the menu, which will now contain a "Dig in" command.

If you want to simulate tanks that have prepared hull down positions that they can move away from, use a short section of wall in front of the tank. This will have the same hull down effect as digging in, but the tank will still be able to move.

Scenario designers- never ever dig in turretless armor such as StuGs and jagdpanthers. Dug in tanks can't rotate, and are helpless against flanking attacks.</font>

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Maple Tree:

How do I dig in a tank ?

</font>