A Mac question

First of all, I would like to say 'hi' to everyone after my long time out of this web board (hey there Steve! How is life?). I am just about to preorder CMBB, as I did CMBO, and I can hardly wait to get my paws on the final version.

I have, though, a small concern.

Keeping with the not-so-brilliant policies Apple has made display of lately, an announcement has been made stating that the next generation of Macs, in year 2003, will not support OS9 as bootable and will only run it in 'classic mode', which is particularly slow with games, making them unplayable most of the time, and introducing several screen size and resolution glitches. CMBB, as far as I know, is not and will not be OSX native, as it would require a switch to OpenGL rendering mode -RAVE drivers for OSX are simply nonexistent-

What will happen to Mac CMBB then? Has anyone had any luck running the demo in classic mode?

I am deeply worried about this.

Wicky,

Thank you very much for your directions. I had searched the forums, but missed that thread. Sorry for any inconvenience my lack of attention might have caused.

The thread does not feed my hope, though. It seems that we will all be forced to play CM in an emulator -let's face it, classic mode is hardly more than that-, with an inadequate rendering system, lower frame rates than we should get for our money, and lower graphics.

Oh well.

So go and buy a fast G4 before the first of the year and you will have plenty of machine to run CMBB and still be able to use it to run CMII when it comes out OS10.99 native in two years. You will have a machine that is completely capable of playing CMBB with all the toys on and ultra res mods. Especially with the 9700 video card.

Don't be sad, just buy the hottie now.

Originally posted by kmead:

So go and buy a fast G4 before the first of the year and you will have plenty of machine to run CMBB and still be able to use it to run CMII when it comes out OS10.99 native in two years. You will have a machine that is completely capable of playing CMBB with all the toys on and ultra res mods. Especially with the 9700 video card.

Don't be sad, just buy the hottie now.

Good advice... Just got a dual 1GHz, and that thing screams! And, it boots OS 9 with no problem... and CMBB runs fine without all the partitioning, conflict catcher, whatever madness that was required before

Well if you don't mind buying USED then even a YEAR from now you will be able to get a FAST mac to run CMBB.

I prefer the used market. New costs too much

so when the NEW machines that come out are Fast and won't boot to OS 9 then people will sell the old machines (the FAST ones they are buying right now that run OS 9) and then you can pick up a good deal.

What is largely being missed in all this is that EVERY mac that is sold before Dec 31 2002 will run OS 9 and Combat Mission (either flavour).

SO whats the big deal, you want a FAST mac that will run CMBO/CMBB? You want to buy it this time next year? No problem buy a used mac that is 12-18 months old from some "early adopter" that has to buy the latest Mac that only boots into OSX.

This is NOT a big issue because Apple is selling REALLY fast Mac's RIGHT NOW that run OS 9 and they will be GREAT USED machines to buy for CMBB in the next 18- 24 months.

Sure the new Mac's won't boot into OS 9, but it is NOT the end of the world by any means.

if you are looking for Used Macs Try:

www.cpused.com

they are in toronto and have a complete price list updated every day.

http://www.cpused.com/cpudaily.htm

so there will be FAST macs on the used market 12-18 months from now that will be Perfect for CMBB.

smile.gif

-tom w

Not a bad idea to send an email to Apple support, too, politely pointing out how nice it would be if they would make the Classic RAVE extension fully functional, so that we COULD play CM under Classic mode in OS X.

It sure would be nice if Apple recognized the value of developers like Battlefront/BigTimeSoftware, who actually do their primary work on the Mac OS.

• 1 month later...

I, for one, am glad that Apple is finally doing away with OS 9 compatibility with it's newer machines. It quickens the acceptance of a clearly better operating system and convinces the few remaining developers who are still stuck in OS 9 to update their produces for OS X compatibility.

Combat Mission is the only comercial game to be released in a long time to not have MacOS X compatibility.

Originally posted by Reverendo:

Keeping with the not-so-brilliant policies Apple has made display of lately

Good God man, could you possibly be more wrong???

Where in the entire world of commerce has the literal *genius* of the recent moves by Apple been equalled?

For pete's sake you can buy a desktop *aquarium* from third parties in iMac colors, that marketing stroke had such impact.

The new OS will inconvenience me very greatly, but I don't begrudge Apple one whit for it- it will be a long, long time in the future, imho, before the truth of how wise the architecture of the new OS becomes fully appreciated.

Eden