BTS - Question about the import map feature...

Falkao

Since I dont have the game yet, could some kind soul explain to me the feature of importing custom maps/forces into the qb generator namely:

- Can the forces be imported independently of the map?

- Can I import the force/map left after a scenario? How about damage/ammo leveles? Are they reset?

- Can I import just one side of the force (just germans or just russians)?

Thanks

Falkao

[ September 30, 2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Falkao ]

Originally posted by Falkao:

Since I dont have the game yet, could some kind soul explain to me the feature of importing custom maps/forces into the qb generator namely:

- Can the forces be imported independently of the map?

- Can I import the force/map left after a scenario? How about damage/ammo leveles? Are they reset?

- Can I import just one side of the force (just germans or just russians)?

Thanks

Falkao

It is an all or nothing import. Everything gets pulled over, including crews to KOed vehicles. There is no resupply.

Just importing the map alone will import damage as well.

Well, you can actually delete units in the import screen if you want to get rid of stuff.

Now, what one cannot do, which would be real cool, is to import an endgame map into the scenario editor. Will make pre-destroying cities a snap.

WWB

After finishing a QB you can import the same map without or with the troops into a new QB. If it is with troops the knocked out and burning vehicles and killed units will appear on the map as well as all the units alive.

You cannot import units only on a new map (what a pity).

You can import a map from the scenario editor as well I think.

After you have played a QB can you take the map (units and ALL) into the scenario editor and edit the units?

Then you could save the QB map and new units and open it in a new QB?

I'm asking because I don't have the game (yet :mad: ) I and don't understand all the differences between CMBO and the new CMBB QB import map feature :confused:

Thanks smile.gif

-tom w

I know it's easy to cry for new features, but... smile.gif

TacOps 4 got a OOB import feature in mid beta test. TacOps 4 also uses a plain ASCII file representation of the OOB, so that you can read/write/modify it from scripts. The feature was extremly well received by players, with different players doing totally different things with it, probably more than MajorH expected.

I assume that adding an OOB reuse feature to CMBB would offer a great extension for comparibly few coding time.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

After you have played a QB can you take the map (units and ALL) into the scenario editor and edit the units?

Nope, you cannot open the file in the scenario editor.

Would be intersting, you could redraw setup zone, use a new map, etc. but you could see exactly what your opponent got...

As far as I can tell, you cannot import a saved game (including the end-of-game autosave) into the scenario editor. If somebody knows how to do this please let me know, it never worked for me!

I really hope that these features could be added to the scenario editor...

1) On the 'generate map' screen, add a 'import map', just like the QB generator.

2) In the force selection screen, add an 'import force' button.

- This would import the forces for the currently selected side only (axis or allies) from a scenario or saved game file. To prevent cheating, if the saved game file is multi-player you would need to enter the password for the side you are importing.

- could also be added to the QB generator -- but could it lead to abuse? You'd be able to create OOB's not normally available in QBs, like Companies with their support weapons removed; or units with max ammo loadouts for no extra cost.

3) While we're at it, add a 'generate OOB' button in the editor that works like the 'generate map' button.

- The player would select the force type parameters, and the OOB would be filled out just like it is done for computer-pick QBs.

How would this enhance the game?

a) Simplify 3rd-party moderated battles. The coordinator loads the agreed on map, then imports the OOB created by each player, then 'tournament saves' the result.

B) Be able to reuse QB maps in different situations with modifications. E.g. this QB map would be really cool if I could just add a river through this low part on the map...

c) Allows players to save their 'preferred OOB' to quickly start up a new game.

Nope, you cannot open the file in the scenario editor.

Would be intersting, you could redraw setup zone, use a new map, etc. but you could see exactly what your opponent got...

You can already import the saved game for a partially played battle into a Quick Battle, but it doesn't load units (at least in the test I did). But as long as importing into the scenario editor was restricted only to COMPLETED battles (i.e. saved while viewing the map after the debrief/AAR screen) you wouldn't be learning anything new, as you'd already have seen what the enemy had.

Originally posted by Steve McClaire:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Nope, you cannot open the file in the scenario editor.

But as long as importing into the scenario editor was restricted only to COMPLETED battles (i.e. saved while viewing the map after the debrief/AAR screen) you wouldn't be learning anything new, as you'd already have seen what the enemy had.</font>