New plowed wheat field mod...

in progress.

I decided to take a shot at making a plowed wheat field. I think I understand why Murpes never released his, because it's not easy.

I've done three of the six textures so far. Is it worth finishing the rest?

wheat3.jpg

wheat4.jpg

Edited to update pictures

[ June 08, 2002, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Tanks a Lot ]

Originally posted by von Murrin:

Keep going! I have more of your mods in my game than anyone else. It looks just fine for a half finished mod. smile.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

Originally posted by Vader's Jester

Try to round the corners of the wheat when it makes a 90 degree turn. It will look more realistic methinks.

I use your dark-green-meadow grass BTW. It's awsome.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get right on it.

Glad you like the grass. I also made a lighter grass mod with more dirt mixed in. I like it better, but haven't released it.

Originally posted by Scipio:

Good idea. Looks more realistic than the usual 'flat wheat' smile.gif . But it could be a bit darker, don't you think?

I have to lighten up my screenshots because they come out too dark. It doesn't look too light in the game IMHO. It's darker than DD's and much darker than Desert Fox's wheat mod. Maybe if I make a fall version, it will be darker.

Hey Tanks A Lot looking good. It's extremely more realistic looking then anything else available so I'd say YES please continue and release it when ready. For some reason ;) I seem to be using all of your outstanding mods. I wonder why? :D Again, I thank you for all your hard work and thinking of us by making this excellent game even more fun and enjoyable to play.

Ed,

I'm a big fan who uses your mods. I've also spent time scouting Belgium terrain on vacation.

I think the top photo looks a bit like a rug. The bottom close up looks better. But the rounded till effect looks more like Iowa than Belgium to me. The IH combine look doesn't give me the feel of 1944 Europe.

Because Euro fields (particularly at CM scale) are typically smaller and far less tilled by IH machines in 1944, as well as today, I believe you would do better to drop the rounded corner pattern and just do straight back and forth rows. When tiled next to other textures like rough, this gives a pretty good small farm look.

Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work.

PS. I'm going back in August to take more photo's and hope to be able to share them with mod-makers like you.

Cheers,

Jake

Just my opinion Tanks A Lot but yes the last picture looks much more real to me. The first actually did kind of look like a rug. So now we'll finally have wheat fields that actually look like wheat. What an idea. Should look oh so much better in the game. You the ground guy Tanks A Lot. ;) And again thank you for another mod I'll sure be using.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Just my opinion Tanks A Lot but yes the last picture looks much more real to me. The first actually did kind of look like a rug. So now we'll finally have wheat fields that actually look like wheat. What an idea. Should look oh so much better in the game. You the ground guy Tanks A Lot. ;) And again thank you for another mod I'll sure be using.

Thanks Lee,

I may include a rounded corner piece as an option since some people seem to like that better.

They both look great, thanks for making these!

Even though the rounded corner option might be less realistic, it looks better my eye than the one with the 90' shift not quite right. I don't suppose there is a way to make all the tiles line up either North - South or East - West?

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

They both look great, thanks for making these!

Even though the rounded corner option might be less realistic, it looks better my eye than the one with the 90' shift not quite right. I don't suppose there is a way to make all the tiles line up either North - South or East - West?

Unfortunately the game rotates some of the outer edge tiles 90 degrees.