Archer Killed Itself....

Originally posted by Francesco:

Firing to a target far 17m away...

Does anyone have ever had such experience?

Bye!

Francesco

ALL THE TIME...

especially that Cheap Allied shortbarreled M8 HMC howitzer, kills its self routinely when opposition infantry try to swarm it.

-tom w

I've had that with HE lobbers. Once an SP Gun of some sort fired a target from a very small angle, hit the house 5 meters in front, knocked out my halftrack by the house and then itself.

Hooray for smart gunners.

More times than I wish to admit. But I have found a partial work around; button the vehicle. There's little one can do when a Hummel fires and connects with a building 15 meters away.

But hey, folks on this forum have continuously stated war is hell and anything can happen. I think, almost certain, HE rounds had a minimum distance/time in flight before priming. Am I wrong about this?

Originally posted by FFE:

More times than I wish to admit. But I have found a partial work around; button the vehicle. There's little one can do when a Hummel fires and connects with a building 15 meters away.

But hey, folks on this forum have continuously stated war is hell and anything can happen. I think, almost certain, HE rounds had a minimum distance/time in flight before priming. Am I wrong about this?

That sounds like a Question for Rexford?

That is VERY interesting

if True "HE rounds had a minimum distance/time in flight before priming" vehicles in CMBO should "theoretically" never be able to blow themselves up because some smart person figured "Hey! if this HE round goes off before it is in the air for "X amount" of time then that may be hazardous and we don't want that so these HE rounds can't go off with the vehicle that fired the round inside its leathal blast radius" (or some such technical nonsense smile.gif )

Quite a proposition???

anyone else ever heard of this?

Maybe its not too late to get that handy little feature into CMBB??

-tom w

[ June 07, 2002, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Not exactly the same, but I once had a Greyhound put a shot into the building it was hiding behind. That's not interesting in itself. But the coincidental voice of a nearby HQ shouting "Pay Attention!" right afterwards was very funny!

Francesco,

I experienced this myself a couple of times but after sending the crews off on an intensive course of short-term dynamic psychotherapy and getting them to realise that just because their gun's bore and calibre were smaller than the enemy's they shouldn't feel overmatched.

The psychotherapy + mandatory beards for each crew member created the necessary overcompensation/understanding and they were soon back in their TDs.

Sadly they all got horribly burned to death next game... I believe the beards increased their flamability and got caused them to trip when trying to escape... End result: Beards have now been banned among tank crews.

At the moment I'm hoping more careful psychological screening of TD crews and mandatory Fluoxetine tabs will solve the suicide problems among my Archers.

I'm surprised no-one else has tried this? It seems to work quite well ;) .

One of the "funny things" I read of was the capacity of the '88 to penetrate the front hull of a Sherman and be able to exit out the aft end. Definitely not a good time to be a tanker
Should beat "shell enters, ricochets off opposide side armor and bounces merrily through the fighting compartment until it runs out of energy". With a little luck, the HE charge in the AP shell doesn't even ignite before it's out the other side. Still leaves a lot of spall from the entry though to do damage.

apex

Ah but you could adjust the distance for most WW2 HE rounds by twisting the fuze at the top of the shell a quarter revolution at a time ( at least quarter revolutions are mentioned in the loader and gunner accounts I've read).

It should be possible to reduce the arming distance down to danger-close with such a variable fuze.