PATTON MUSEUM AND BLACKHORSE

First week of August I am going to the Patton Museum. Blackhorse used to be stationed there, no idea if he still is, or if anyone else is. If you are stationed at Fort Knox, let me know. Hmm.. Maybe show you CMBB for a ride in a tank for my Kids. smile.gif

Oh yeah, look at the vehicles listed. If you want a picture, let me know and I will try.

http://knox-www.army.mil/museum/VEHICLE.htm

Rune

[ July 07, 2002, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: rune ]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rune!

As far as I know, Blackhorse is still there. I live in Louisville, about 40 miles or so north of Fort Knox.

A few years ago, after the annual Fourth of July re-enactment, I was able to tour the back lots where most of their vehicles are in storage. Unfortunately, the museum display area is large enough to display only a portion of the vehicles in their collection (as you can tell by the 'storage' notation on the vehicle list you linked). They have been trying to expand for years, maybe some day they will actually raise the money to do so.

BTW, too bad you couldn't make it here for the Fourth. This year's re-enactment was one of the better ones. They had the museum's Japgdpanzer IV Lang (not displayed) and a Hetzer (also not displayed) running, as well as many US vehicles they normally don't have out there (a Sherman 105, an M-10) as well as the customary Stuarts, M-20's, HTs, etc. Also, they had an AC being used by the Germans that I didn't recognize. I swear it looked more like a Russian AC than a German vehicle, it was even painted all green. They also added a new wrinkle for the show itself, a German counter-attack. When the show is over, the audience gets to climb all over/inside the vehicles. All-in-all, it was a great show.

Anyway, if you'd like to get together, send me an email (address in my profile) and I can meet you there. I can also guide you and your family to some of the better eateries in Louisville.

Last year, I visited the Patton Museum. Great experience. It was a surreal site watching my boys climb all over this King Tiger they have there. That tank is about three times the size of the M1. It's like an Ogre in that old science fiction wargame.

Speaking of old wargames .. I went in to their gift shop there and was stunned by the site of BRAND NEW, UNOPENED, ORIGINAL copies of Avalon Hill's "Third Reich" and "Squad Leader".

I bought 'em.

"Ahh .. that smell .. that cardboard smell in the morning ... smells like ..... ....

Victory" <shrugs>

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!

Not only are there CM'ers in Kentucky, but there are in fact Knights of the Cesspool as well! (and now you may begin your preparations to move...)

Rune, if I can, I'd love to tag along. Lawyer and I had some tentative plans to do this last Fall, but much has happened since then....

Please email with what details of your schedule you have; if the Critterâ„¢ is up to it, we'll be there!

According to the email I just go tfrom the museum, they are open 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. So, We can all meet at the museum at 9:00, but I may be a little late, the drive from where I am staying is 4 1/2 hours. If a voulnteer is available, they are going to let us in the storage area to see the Churchill Croc.

Rune

Okay, everyone whose coming needs to expect the security in place since Sep 11. Make sure you have an valid driver's license, valid registration, and valid car insurance before trying to enter the post. Also, leave the CCWs at home as the vehicle will probably be searched. No one needs to spend any time at the MP station or have to pay a federal migistrates ticket.

See you August 6.

Originally posted by Iskander:

Not only are there CM'ers in Kentucky, but there are in fact Knights of the Cesspool as well! (and now you may begin your preparations to move...)

That does it! Now I will have to oppose building any new bridges over the Ohio River. I will also vote to have the existing bridges blown up! This pestilence must be kept out of Indiana at all costs.

I'd love to join this excursion, but that weekend is my wife's birthday, so I can't plan too far ahead.

If any of you guys are also Civil War grogs, I can highly recommend an excellent museum in Bardstown, which is not too far from Fort Knox.

Rune,

Sounds like a good plan. If we can arrange a volunteer to let us tour the backlots, we will be in for a treat!

Man, I just looked at the date. HMMM, I'm scheduled to do some training that day, time to call in some favors.

Originally posted by USTanker:

Also, leave the CCWs at home as the vehicle will probably be searched....

Whups!

Hadn't thought of that! Thanks for the heads-up!

I wonder if they'll think the Critterâ„¢ is a Chinese spy...?

Well hotdamn, we're gonna have a party! Matt, Rune, and a bunch of area CM'ers. I guess the question remains: Afterwards, will we be going to Thoroughbred III, or Thoroughbred IV? We'll let you decide Matt. ;)

Originally posted by Dave H:

[QB I'd love to join this excursion, but that weekend is my wife's birthday, so I can't plan too far ahead.

If any of you guys are also Civil War grogs, I can highly recommend an excellent museum in Bardstown, which is not too far from Fort Knox.[/QB]

August 6th is a Tuesday so it may be more the boss than the wife, or at least that will be my problem smile.gif

I second the Bardstown museum. Another small but close site is Fort Duffield. It is an earthen fort with a view to the river and is just up the road towards Louisville from Ft. Knox. A non-profit group and volunteers have done some nice things with it.

I'm an hour and half away in Southern Indiana and penciling this in. I'm hoping to ink it in later smile.gif

--Randl

Long time CM'er, part time lurker here, I spend my time, daily, at Band of Brothers.

I am in Lexington, KY and would love to join you guys as well. I went there about 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. Has some great tanks there.

Lookie here, a bunch of CMers getting together at Fort Knox and the Patton Museum!

Yes, I am still stationed at Fort Knox.

I'm currently on leave; will be back home early next week.

I will attempt to arrange a special surprise treat for ya'll.

Matt, I didn't realize you were from Looeyville.

Rune, let me know what you need me to do.

Blackhorse,

A definite go...will be there about 0900 on 6 Aug. I may be the late one, coming from Southern Illinois with no direct easy route. I have to leave at like 4 in the AM.

Look forward to meeting all there, and yes, bringing a laptop with the CD< and I imagine Matt will too.

Rune

Originally posted by Randl:

August 6th is a Tuesday so it may be more the boss than the wife, or at least that will be my problem smile.gif

Doh!! redface.gif Next time I'd better look at a calendar. These guys planning weekday trips throw me.

Words of warning: If anybody heads south into Louisville on I-65, you will find several miles of construction just north of the river. Traffic can be pretty bad, since you'll be catching the rush hour. There's an accident on the bridge almost every day, and traffic completely stops. :mad: