Worst friendly fire incidents in CMBB

the second fires, but I guess it was a little too hull down because the round struck the plateau of the hill 10m away, killing the TC of the first ISU Idiots, idiots! Must I always be surrounded by idiots?
This is a real life problem and the fact that it's included in the game engine is impressive. Due to sights being elevated above the actual weapon barrel it is possible to have LOS and draw a bead on the target; but due to restrictive visibility the gunner can't see that the barrel is actually pointed at intervening high ground. Such incidents result in SOPs requiring the vehicle commander to walk around the tank and visually inspect for obstructions when in a defensive position. It also resulted in ammo being fitted with a fuse to prevent detonation prior to a centain number of revolutions of the round fired in order for the round to travel enough distance prior to detonation so that the firee is not in the casualty radius of the exploding ordinance.

Had this happen to me and my platoon with small arms numerous times as well, due to elevated sights on M-16A2 and M-249 SAW. Luckily all ricochetes went down range.

I got an FO to bring down a barrage of heavy mortars on a spot out of los. I didn't even notice at first they were falling on a company of mine that were massing for an assualt. lost about a platoon and had other freaked out before i knew it.

still, I learned to be a damn sight more careful about handling arty after that so i guess it was worth it!

In CMBO the other night I had an armored car machinegun itself to death in the fog as it tried to kill two german soldiers that were running by; shortly thereafter one of my halftacks did the same thing trying to kill the same two guys. Both vehicles completely wiped themselves out. I'm just glad that squad didn't run past my tank.

Worst friendly fire in CMBO for me: I had a German armored car (can't remember model) equipped with a short 75 for infantry work. It was on a hunt command when it inadvertantly came across a panic stricken, dug in American squad in less than 10m. The well-drilled German crew stopped, traversed the 75, aimed, fired, and drove away the infantry. However, in the process of doing so it knocked itself out! How did I know? It had itself on its kill box along with 2 dead Americans when I looked in the AAR. Man, I wish I had a place to upload that pic.

In CMBB: Not so much as my troops doing the friendly fire but just a simple QB against the Russian AI in 1941. I had a small QB using a company of Waffen SS Grenadiers in a night probe into some Russian occupied woods. One of my lead squads miraculously and inadvertently sneaked past a whole dug in platoon of Russian infantry! I figured,"Oh, s**t! Better keep low!" I kept them hidden in place until the rest of the platoon initiated contact with the Russians. After a turn I then had that lone squad open fire from the rear at what I thought would be the Platoon HQ. Would you know it, all hell breaks loose and soon the Russians panic and begin to fire at each other wondering where the hell a hail of MP40 and MG34 fire is coming from at their rears.

That's the price you pay for having a bunch of conscripts holding the line at night.

Originally posted by Jake the Peg:

Blind targetted 105mm artillery landing far from the enemy and decimating my second line. It also killed the observer who called it in so I guess it wasn't all bad. That was the only time I've lost as the Germans so far. It was also the last time I used arty without LOS.

that's brutal... i had that happen with an 82mm mortar fo... i mean the inaccurate part... i got lucky... it dropped in open ground... i think as well that such was my last time for calling in artillery blind... something i did all the time in cmbo... now i'm a big fan of pre-planned