Ardennes Offensive

Hi,

Its getting close to Dec 16th now, and I'm really in the mood for some BoB gaming!

I'm planning to slog through *all* the BoB scenarios (over 40 of 'em!) sequentially, whilst keeping tabs of all losses, special events etc. I also intend to keep a picture diary of 'my' offensive.

I was wondering if anyone had a list of all the BoB battles/ops out there? Failing that, is there a site that includes a BoB section?

I just don't want to miss any - and as for designing them myself - well I'd know what was coming!!

Thanks in advance

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Paul T. Gardner ]

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Paul T. Gardner ]</p>

Hi

I advise you to go over to the scenario depot :

Scenario Depot

click BATTLES/SEARCH BATTLES and then specify

date DECEMBER and type HISTORICAL

One of my favorites is Champs, very well documented with an outstanding map.

It then lists pretty much the BoB battles around. Maybe you can try some from the month January too.

And ooh... should I mention ? check below.

I wish I could give you a list of all of them, but unfortunately I can't.

I will mention a few of mine. Some were included on the original CD. Others have been posted at the Depot.

They include...

On the CD

Operation: Team DeSobry (get the revision)

Scenario: Wiltz (on CD)

Others

Herrilsheim - Cut Off

Melee at Marvie

Manhay - On the Rrowl

If you need the revision for Team DeSobry drop me a line.

Wild Bill

I've got a bunch of these, some still in progress. But I warn they are not exactly polished (yet).

The only one I've done that is actually out at the scenario depot is "Get the Guns", a night raid on a US artillery battery, which I did around 9 months ago. Then there is "'Long Skyline Drive", aka infantry vs. all arms, which was the subject of a recent forum thread (US infantry-division combined arms vs. German infantry). I also have recreations of Task Force Wall (January, US armor division forces against 12th SS) and Task Force Rose (second day of the offensive, US armor division forces against 2nd Panzer). And I could throw in the battle of Walhausen from the currently running Bulge Campaign - a reasonably realistic first day fight in the US 28th division sector, vs. the 26th VG, infantry and artillery on both sides.

I could put them together in a "Bulge pack" and send them to anyone interested. The "game order" would be Walhausen, 'Long Skyline Drive, Task Force Rose, Get the Guns, then Task Force Wall.

For what it is worth.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: JasonC ]</p>

JasonC, I would very much like to get my hands on such a pack!

e-mail is

pgardner@supanet.com

WBW, I would indeed appreciate you mailing me the Team DeSobry scenario, obviously to the adress above!

While I'm here, does anyone have an update on the Baraque de Fraiture encounter? I think it was called 'Woodys Crossroads' or'Parkers Crossroads', - I forget which.

Thanks for your replys so far.

Hey History Buff,

Glad to see someone else is as obsessed with the nitty-gritty as I am!

I'm going to use you as a sounding board now you've let yourself in for it by telling me that. Only because I'm so excited at the prospect of this 'campaign'.

As well as casualty figures, I intend to keep record of estimated enemy losses, and corresponding kills info - so I know who deserves the virtual Iron Crosses!

Force wise, I'm going to record the forces at my disposal, with a break down of individual units to squad level. I know this may sound a little severe, but I want to personalise my infantry a bit more - so I know who's around at the beginning of a battle, and who's left at the end. I find sometimes that I squander my infantry at the expense of my panzers - usually using them as reconnaissance in force for the armoured boys. If it were 'Real Life' tm I was 'playing' at, I'd probably be taken out and shot!! Actually, thinking of some of the butchers that have passed themselves off as officers through history, I might be promoted...

Additionally, I think some sort of 'war diary' of notable events and exploits would be nice. I'm thinking that this could include an intro with my plan of attack laid out based on a reconnaissance of the map so I can include a post battle evaluation at the end of this 'war diary'.

Last, but not least, a picture diary of screenshots would accompany all this, topped off with a screenshot of the AAR screen. Phew! This is going to extend the time taken to complete scenarios somewhat!

Of course, I intend to start all this on Dec 16th - though I don't think I will be able to keep up with the real offensive with regards dates - as there are several battles per day, and there's alot of work to accompany them. Unfortunately, I think work will get in the way. Hmm, though I do have plenty of holiday left...

Just to encourage other CM'ers to get 'Bulging', here's a link to a rather good history of the Bulge...

http://rhino.shef.ac.uk:3001/mr-home/bulge/7-8_cont.html

Rgds

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul T. Gardner:

Just to encourage other CM'ers to get 'Bulging', here's a link to a rather good history of the Bulge...

http://rhino.shef.ac.uk:3001/mr-home/bulge/7-8_cont.html

<hr></blockquote>

That is also available as a big hardcover book for $20 (from B&N immedeately, Amzon with some delay).

I highly recommend getting the book, because

a) the book contains very good maps, with elevation lines

B) the book contains many aireal photos of actualy places, especially villages. Scenario designes will be surprised how many of the village the battle was about were in very flat lang, with kilometers of LOS.

c) the text itself is somewhat of a letdown :-/ Just read the epiloques's equipment explantions. Few models of the improved Tigers (King Tigers) reached the Ardennes? Then where did all the wrecks come from we see in decent books? The book in notoriously inaccurate with regards to cmbat mechanics.

Still, I am very glad I have it, because it has more than the text. But the online version doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made up the package (with 6 Bulge-related scenarios) and sent it off to a few people who expressed interest. I also sent it to the scenario depot fellow, so perhaps others can get their hands on it that way. (Or just mail me, no problem). Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Actually Redwolf, that is the official US army history, and you can also find it at the Army Center for Military History. It is quite a good operational history in my opinion.

As for the "few reached" comment, the total number of KTs that fought in the Bulge appears to have been 90 tanks, half with the 501st SS sPzAbt, and half with the 506th Heer sPzAbt (which also had 14 Tiger Is). 30 appear to have been lost in the fighting (half of them in the company that went with Peiper's column).

That certainly qualifies as "not many", considering that thousands of AFVs were engaged on both sides. There were also 2 battalions of JadgPanthers, and about 1 company more of Tiger Is in a Fkl unit. So 200 heavy AFVs of all types.

It should also be kept in mind that within days of entering action, these heavies often had 1/3 to 1/2 of their vehicles in the shop, because spares were so limited for such rare vehicles. Readiness rates for the more common Panthers, Pz IVs, Jadgpanzers and StuGs, were much higher.

Paul, I have also got a historical Bulge battle at Der Kessel. Called 'Bure', it is about the begin of the counterattack at the apex of the German penetration, where the UK 6th Parachute Division was inserted. They had to deal with Panzerlehr there. So if you get bored of playing/fighting the US, have a go at that one :D

Brekafast at Buchholz Station is another classic, by Moon.

Actually, have you done a search on the Scenario Depot (link in my sig), for scenarios in December/January with the US in them? That should give you all of them.

BTW - I am off to Bastogne on Sunday, first time, I really look forward to it. If I get my camera to work, I may even post some pictures here.

Andreas,

I'll definately do a search. I did it the hard way not so long ago - just browsing through. I want to make sure I've got them all though.

Have a good time on Sunday - that's what I call getting in the mood - visit the battle site on the anniversary!!

Where do you live? Is it far to go for you?

I live in the suburbs of London, so Belgium is just a train ride away. I must visit the Ardennes myself sometime...

Andreas,

I'll definately do a search. I did it the hard way not so long ago - just browsing through. I want to make sure I've got them all though.

Have a good time on Sunday - that's what I call getting in the mood - visit the battle site on the anniversary!!

Where do you live? Is it far to go for you?

I live in the suburbs of London, so Belgium is just a train ride away. I must visit the Ardennes myself sometime...

Until then, I will let CM transport me there smile.gif