Not having any luck with the Mac DL

Emrys, my girl, I'm at 62% and three hours to go - with cable yet....

E-mail me and I'll e-mail it to you. In fact, I'll e-mail it to everyone who follows these rules:

1) I need to get your e-mail address before either a) I get Emrys's; or B) my download is finished, whichever comes later.

2) The subject of the e-mail must be:

Webs iz l33t, d00d!

(The body of the e-mail may contain anything.)

Optional step 3) You must go to the comp.sys.mac.games.flight-sim Usenet newsgroup and ask the folks there why they don't just smarten up and buy Windows machines. And say that Webs is l33t.

smile.gif

I mean it.

Well, after a 4.5 hour download over my cable modem, I have a corrupted file. Sigh. Off to bed and hopefully in the next few days I will be able to get it again.

GD Netscape and too many refresh monkeys... :mad: :mad: :D

Karl, my tale of woe is worse than yours. I tried your tip and switched to Netscape and got a connection right away. It started off at 4.4kbps which I thought was really cool. Then it dropped almost immediately to 2.8...which was not as cool, but still tolerable.

I went away for a few minutes and when I came back, it had dropped further to 0.998K. Not cool at all! At that rate I figured it would take nearly a whole day. Not tolerable. But I decided to let it run for a while and see what it would do.

When I returned to check on it, it had crept up to 1.1K. Gradually it eased up through 1.2 to 1.4. So I decided to let it continue.

A couple hours later I checked on it again and it had gotten all the way up to 2.4. This was a lot better, though still not blindingly fast. But I figured at that speed it would finish in a reasonable amount of time.

It got down to 87% and about another hour to go when I went into the kitchen to grab a bite. When I cam back, I noticed that the progess line, which had been bluish-green had turned black, so I went closer to see what was going on and it was immediately clear that the sucker had stalled. I let it sit in hope that it might start back up, but after an hour it was clear that nothing was going to happen.

So, after going through a 7.5 hour download, I have exactly...nothing.

There is no joy in Mudville tonight.

Michael

I went back and tried to raise it on IE and got a connection this time. The download speeds varied greatly from about 4K down to 71bps. Yes, you read that right 71bps. There were many stalls, and it appears to be stalled now after d-l-ing about 1.8M of the data.

The inescapable conclusion is that BFC's preparations for this event were completely inadequate to meet the demand, as was in fact predicted. What they need, IMO, is about a dozen mirror sites, at least for the first 48 hours. A single server is simply not going to be adequate to meet this kind of demand.

Michael

Michael,

A single server is simply not going to be adequate to meet this kind of demand.
Of course not, which is why we always had two servers going smile.gif We didn't stick the Mac files on the second server becausee with around 4:1 PC downloads we need more bandwidth for PCs in any case.

People can bitch all they want about inadequate this or that, but by and large nearly everybody is getting the demo without the kind of problems you are having. I know how many downloads there have been so the success to failure ratio is very low. Could be something at your ISP that is more fussy than others', and therefore you are timing out when others aren't.

However, we are working on getting a third server up and running today. At latest, tomorrow. Both PC and Mac files will be uploaded to that one.

Steve

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

.....A single server is simply not going to be adequate to meet this kind of demand.

Michael

A single server could handle it just fine.. it's getting the bandwidth from the server that's expensive. I've seen 2 year old servers handle 80MB/sec downloads on a LAN. Now any company other than MS or Apple affording bandwidth like that is unlikely. And going to really fast third party mirror sites costs money. LOTS of money and is very often charged by the megabyte.

I understand people's frustration, but everyone will get the demo, maybe today, maybe tomorrow. I'd also say that people using DL accellerators are hurting the downloads for everyone else. They are hogging all the bandwidth by opening multiple streams from the server instead of sharing 1 stream/person.

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Webs:

I played it last night, and no one has e-mailed me asking for it yet (see above).

Sorry Webs, I didn't think your post was serious. Besides, e-mail would have most likely not worked with the mailbox limits in place. However, I could have had you upload it to one of my servers... Staying up until 4 a.m. getting the PC demo mirrored really shot my thought processes to heck and back again. Anywho, Mac demo has two mirrors up right now. See the mirror list thread.