Small caliber, long range, good fortune

I'm playing a 1942 scenario where 2 regular soviets light tanks (45mm guns) engage an axis armored car (BA10 ?) at 1900 m and after a couple of shots, both AFVs hit the target and score a kill. The car was shooting back before being hit.

In the beginning of the engagement i thought that this was a waste of ammo, but seing the good result i wonder how likely it is to hit such a small target with a small/medium caliber gun at such a long range. Was the 45mm gun very accurate ? Were the optics good enough for that kind of combat ? Was it even possible ?

I'm asking especially when in another scenario i observed Tigers missing massive T34s 3 times in a row at 250m (but there was a snow storm).

I've done something similar at 1,500m with light guns. What do you mean by 'a couple shots'? Two? Five? Seven? Usually the gun brackets the target - one short shot, one long shot, then he starts to refine his aim. It seems after the third shot the likelyhood of getting a hit goes up markedly (as long as it's not the T34's crappy 76.2mm gun).

Still, 1,900m kill for a 45mm gun seems pretty extraordinary.

Is the impact visible ?

For those reasons i found the kills extraordinary too. And the target was small, only a armored car !

I can't speak on the historical reality of what you saw, which sounds like what you're really wondering about (though I do wonder if all AFVs don't at least have the equivlent of moderate-quality binocs.). However, the 1st shot hit chance (clear day, flat suface, everything motionless) is probably around 5%. Which isn't very high, but more than high enough to make a couple of 3rd shot hits a not terribly remarkable occurance.

I've got a distinct feeling that such shells incorporate a tracer element in the back, so the gunner can see the fall of shot and adjust accordingly. I recall seeing some WWII footage of a small (37mm?) AT gun engaging a russian tank of some description - probably a T34 - and the tracer is clearly visible.

Usually the gun brackets the target - one short shot, one long shot, then he starts to refine his aim.
Speaking of bracketing what is the deal with that?

I would have thought that you aim to hit with the very first shot, then refine your aim accordingly if you miss; but I keep hearing about bracketing being a deliberate policy of using your first two shots as rangefinders. I would have thought that this was extremely wasteful of ammo, not to mention downright hazardous to ones lifespan.

Thin Red Line:

Was the 45mm gun very accurate ? Were the optics good enough for that kind of combat ? Was it even possible ?

It was certainly possible. Tanks were destroyed at ranges greater than that.

[ December 10, 2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]