I just want to say one thing to BTS

Thanks you guys. Thanks for a game that is the mother of all games. I mean it. In my 54 years I've seldom found anytime that has given me the hours, the days , the months and yes years that this one game has given me. I cannot express my appreciation enough to you. You created something that I have been looking for all my life. I'm not too good at expressing myself in written form but hope you understand how I feel from this little post. You guys are something else and I just wanted to take this minute and let you know. Thank you sincerely. Have a great Easter.

Well, CMplayer that's why I never wrote it before thinking it might sound - well, sentimental or some such thing but the older I get the more I believe in saying what's on my mind in spite of what others think. Not that I didn't realize you were just joking. But when somebody deserves a pat on the back or praise then I don't hesitate to let them know. Now dry your tears and don't fret any more over this post. ;)

I'm sure BTS doesn't get sick of reading "Thank-You" posts.

I'm sure they already know how great a game they have made but no one knocks back a compliment...

I'm sure the thank-you threads will be long and heart felt after the release of CMBB.

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Stixx:

I'm sure the thank-you threads will be long and heart felt after the release of CMBB.

I personally won't be posting diddly squat for quite a while once CMBB is release! :D :cool:

Okay here it comes....

BTS when I was a wee lad and a bit[like Stixx but skinnier, and younger], I played those games mostly by Avalon Hill and SSI(sp?) like the AH classics, tactics II, Tobruk, Richtoffen's War, Axis and Allies, Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, GI Anvil of Victory etc, Panzerblitz, Blitzkrieg, Panzer Leader, the one where you're a Giant and these little fairies are trying to pull you down, The Longest D(el)ay, Nuclear War Cardgame, Kingmaker, Dogs of Doom, and about 30 or 40 other titles. Me and my friends had much fun and made merry mayhem and we were not grogs.

Anyway...then computers came along and as I sat there playing the very first b&w version of castle Wolfenstein on my apple II plus with 64k memory it occured to me...my god, one day you'll be able to drive tanks around in a 3-d computer landscape and rearrange the urban planning of whole villages. Won't that be _great_! I nursed that dream, fondled that hope, held that trembling... oh never mind that. Anyway eventually i forgot all about games and became a serious adult person [*hack* *cough*] and what happens?

You did it.

You brought my dream to life.

You revived my youthful memories.

My drab and cheerless life has been brought to fruition by technicolor combat fantasies of good old WWII, the GOOD war, where the good guys were good and the bad guys were real villains.

Everything is so clear and clean in your world and I for one am infinitely more fulfilled as a person since I stepped through those hallowed gates.

May I place a laurel wreath upon your brows.

(Also, it's fun.)

[ April 01, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Hi,

CMplayer and I are clearly the same generation. I agree with almost all he wrote.

I will just add that I am not a computer game player. I play CM because it is so realistically modelled it is a true simulation. It is really a form of military history. When the next version of CM comes out the best way for people to study the war on the Eastern Front will be to play CMBB. Combine that with a few of the David Glantz books and the odd German memoir and you will know more than almost anyone.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. Of course, it is also hugely good fun!

Originally posted by kipanderson:

I play CM because it is so realistically modelled it is a true simulation. It is really a form of military history.

That reminds me of when I was playing a lot of CCII and reading about the Arnhem landings at the same time. The book mentioned how 'the fighting around Driel was sheer hell.' I sadly nodded my head and muttered 'I know, I know.'

I don't think BTS gets tired of the thank you posts. I'm sure they will get plenty of complaints and rants when CMBB comes out no matter how good and historically accurate it is (or maybe because it is historically accurate). I have sympathy for the poor, game developers. No matter what they do, people are never satisified and they always get people who'll rant and rave and make all sorts of accusations. This especially applies to wargames. Whatever BTS's programming kampfgruppe gets paid, it's probably no where near enough to deal with us nitpicky grogs. CM is really the kind of game many of us have waited a long time for. With CMBB, there will no hope for getting a social life.

[ April 01, 2002, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

I have a very close friend I PBEM and he is terminal with colon cancer. He says this game is the only thing that keeps his mind engaged. He also regrets that he'll never see the east front version of the game. It rips me up just thinking about it, and although I've played this game just about every day for over a year, it's been hard 'cause I associate it with my life long friend's condition.

It's a great game and as long as my friend can, he'll be playing it too.

Wow.

Now that is really a compliment to the game.

Musicians sometimes mention in interviews having been told in a letter how a dying person listened to one of their records over and over their last few days taking a lot of comfort from that. Whoever sent the letter obviously wanted to express gratitude and share that, and it makes quite an impact on them.

Games are different from music of course, but still, what a thing to have worked on a product that goes beyond being just entertainment in this way.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Okay here it comes....

the one where you're a Giant and these little fairies are trying to pull you down,

Holy moley [sp?]

I remember that one! I think I even played it!!

You had to be careful how you put the giants feet so he wouldn't trip.

Wow!

Originally posted by dNorwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

Okay here it comes....

the one where you're a Giant and these little fairies are trying to pull you down,

Holy moley [sp?]

I remember that one! I think I even played it!!

You had to be careful how you put the giants feet so he wouldn't trip.

Wow!</font>

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Oh yeah, listen to _this_. I played it in a TOURNEMENT.

So I left the wall, headed out into the middle of the garden and was promptly thrown on my ass by those elves.

[/QB]

You always have to agree beforehand whether it's gamey to hug the edge of the map.....

Originally posted by dNorwood:

]You always have to agree beforehand whether it's gamey to hug the edge of the map.....

Good one, but [serious] in this case the wall was part of the game, not an imaginary, arbitrarily imposed edge.[/serious]

Isn't it sort of strange that none of the "biggest CM shortcome", "major disadvantage", "CM engine bug", "unrealistic", "unfair" discussing forum members is joining this thread... ;)

Yes, CM:BO is the best game I've played ever. And to all of you which restrict theirselves to 1500 pts. QBs I can only recommend you try playing CM either in a tournament or you join one of the massive campaigns, such as the great Combat Mission Meta Campaign - you WILL LOVE IT!!