At all german members

Do you realize how that sounds, particularly in the context of a WWII game
Hmm, either you're very politically correct or you need to read some objective history.

I assume that you follow the 'pop history' crowd in your knowledge of WWII? All Germans are evil, extremely nationalistic fascists? And for the Allies this is called patriotism eh?

SgtChris is talking about the german CMBO PBEM League, so yes, one must be German I assume. In the nicest possible way - grow up.

Rgds

Obviously another person that enjoys a bit of scandal.

I'm not German, yet magically by reading the title thread and the content of the first message I can glean that SgtChris is refering to a PBEM competition for Germans only. Maybe for speed of reply, or language convenience - nothing ominous though I should think.

Rgds

hmm, at first I was inclined to say he just picked a poor choice of words to say "you must speak german", assuming that for the german-speaking hosts of that forum english participants and the english language would be too much of a hassle.

However, his follow-up post with his firm "YES!" to the objection someone voiced over the impression which his imperative condition might give, shows that the guy is either in very poor taste or, when looking at the URL he gives, he really does mean only german citizen can apply since the URL points to the even less tasteful company "cdv".

Remember, cdv is the germany-based company which arose out of the gullies with the "most realistic wargame to date", SUDDEN STRIKE.

I had seen the cdv logo on the shelf boxes of CM here in germany before, anmd IMO it is a major black eye for the reputation of BTS as a realism-dedicated, non-corporate enterprise to ally with such a fully commercial, realism-oblivious flash-and-bang marketing-based shenanigan such as cdv.

Just in my humble personal opinion, of course.

Folks ,

calm down. IMHO the whole idea with a pure " German " PBEM league was based on the fact that the former "leader " HOLST - and several other members -are not familiar with the english language. Under this circumstances there is nothing wrong with a national CM PBEM club.

To Chris: I guess your " YES " was ment ironical... in this case you´d better use a smiley.

BTW: Irony doesn´t always work in written form: I got several mails from people who asked me if my sig contains " a kind of political statement " :D:D:D

Cheers

Tom

I thought the remark was not scandal inducing, just rude; if those of us not blessed by the accident of birth to be German are not invited to your little party, maybe you shouldn't be posting about it here - your own message forum would be in order.

Perhaps the language barrier is only what is issue; I know some Germans come off sounding abrupt when they post in English or another second-language.

Not that I can even remotely understand the desire to keep anything limited to one group when the internet provides us the ability to interact with people from so many other cultures; I've personally PBEMed against Finns, Australians, Englishmen (there's an un=PC term if ever I heard one...) etc.

If you don't agree that was rude, substitute "WHITE PEOPLE" for "GERMANS" and tell me what you think.

Folks, this shows how funny it is to be a German.

He said 'You must be German',

he did not said : you must be white, verified Arier. Africans, Yews etc are not welcome'.

What a ****ing country I live in! We can't even make jokes about ourselves. :rolleyes:

As if any other nation in any other war ever saved the lives of 'the enemy'. As if 'racism' is an unknown term in the rest of the world.

About his English : just read the title of the threat. 'At all...?'. I could swear it must be 'To all...'. Maybe my English is to bad, too...

[ February 18, 2002, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Puff the Magic Dragon ]

I must agree with puff on this one, REALAX you (and I say this being one) North American A. retentive political correct "OMMIEGOD" sue him" people. First of yes he could have writen it some other way for youse who may or may not be offended. I personally don't see you putting "viewer descresion advised - adult topics may be dissucsed" on all your threads. chill.

RELAX. Jeez, I've been now 3 years away from all this "oooh step on eggshells" attitude from canada and I must be saying I am happy about it, live with it, he wrote it. you have a grudge about it take it up with your local Deutsche Consulat or Ambassy. :rolleyes:

my god there are just "FRENCH" or "DUTCH" or "Put your nationality here" ladders and such.

you people need to take a "relax" pill. lay off I feel sorry now for the lads who come in here who are not native to the English lanugage.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

If you don't agree that was rude, substitute "WHITE PEOPLE" for "GERMANS" and tell me what you think.

Michael you must think all people living here in germany are White you have another thing coming to you. I like to let you know there are roughly about 4 million Turkish people here! and those are who came here, there are millions of Turkish decent people hear who are born here. There are millions of other nationality people here.

I guess I got to tell my friends here whos parents came from another country, and my friends who were born here they are not german then?? :rolleyes:

IMHO this isn't about being politically incorrect, it is about being rude. The tone of his post indicated that only Germans should apply, if he wants only German players in his league fine. But I'm fairly sure there has to be a nicer way of saying this than "YOU MUST BE GERMAN". For the record I can't stand the concept of "political correctness" but I do feel that speaking one's mind should not give one carte blanche to be a flaming asshole. Manners and courtesy are the social grease which makes social intercourse(I know SOMEONE will jump on that :rolleyes: )possible, there is no excuse for being rude.

I assume that you follow the 'pop history' crowd in your knowledge of WWII? All Germans are evil, extremely nationalistic fascists? And for the Allies this is called patriotism eh?
Not at all, actually. I'm fully cognizant of the distinctions, including the facile nature of the convenient distinction some make between the good, old patriotic Landser and those nasty Waffen SS and Gestapo folk. Anyone who believes there was a clear and simple demarcation should study the issue more, imo. Anyway, much of my knowledge of WWII stems from scholarly sources, btw, not S. Ambrose smile.gif (And, yes, I'm of course aware of Allied issues like military racial segregation, Japanese internment, "Bomber" Harris and friends, unrestricted sub warfare, the GUlag system, the NKVD, etc.)

Anyway, as far as a German forum or league goes, it may surprise people to know that lots of us are multilingual. I'm not German but I can read that forum easily enough, for instance.

An intellectual interesting question is for sure: why haven't he posted his thingy in German, if it's for Germans only?
Surely, if someone is born and lives in Germany, then they are... German?? and not Turkish.
My brain hurts ;)

(Btw, I merely found the initial post rather amusing, given the context. I for one am certainly not so easily offended.)

[ February 18, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]