Status of ASL conversion scenarios?

GJK

I haven't seen any discussion about this lately, sorry if it has been posted and I missed it. What is the status of the conversions and where will they be found, at the Scenario Depot?

A couple of suggestions/requests for Admiral Keth: is there a way to indicate that a scenario is "on the cd" on the search results page? Also, any way to add a "keyword" search to the search parameters? Would be great.

Thanks!

GJK

I believe that Mr Speaker has already put some scenarios on the Scenario Depot so you can check them out if you like.

My own project is ongoing as I want to make sure every scenario is fully tested and tweaked before making them available for download. I am not working on a timetable either, so I can't say when they will be finished. I'm not sure where I will be putting them, but when I get closer to completion I will ask some sites to see if they want to host them (if anyone would be interested in hosting them, just let me know and I'll let you look over what is planned and what is completed so you can determine if you want to host them or not). I want to have them available in various themed "packs" complete with AARs (when available) and a readme so a setup where each one is individually downloaded (among many others) would be less than ideal for me. I have also planned to make these scenarios accessible to anyone - not just ASL fanatics ;) . The testing is time consuming though as the scenarios are intended for multiplayer and if a tester is playing PBEM - well, it could take a while to get some feedback (and thanks again to those six testers dutifully slogging through all those scenarios). If you would like to assist in the testing process though, just let me know and I would be happy to include you in the testing group.

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

My own project is ongoing as I want to make sure every scenario is fully tested and tweaked before making them available for download.

This sounds so good! It seems to me that many ASL-CB conversions are just a direct port of the maps and the forces, squad by squad. Many would-be conversionists don't realize that the systems are different enough that the conversions need several rounds of playtest and balancing, and also extra work on the maps to look real in the CM 3D environment. I tried myself, realized my artistic limitations when it came to mapmaking, and gave up. smile.gif

It is a good thing that ASL Vet thinks that the job is worth doing right.

Also, I REALLY like the themed battles idea. Immersion is heightened greatly by putting the battles in historic perspective.

I would be happy to help with playtest in any way I can, though for the time being I play only solo vs the AI.

[ October 27, 2002, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Joques ]

ASL Vet,

Just one gripe with the city maps : is it not possible to make them at least somewhat damaged/rubbled/craterized ??

I know ASL had no "damaged" maps, but now I find very weird maps of Berlin or Stalingrad with all neat, undamaged buildings !

All photos of '45 Berlin and '42 Stalingrad show big pile of rubbles rather than "cities" ...

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

ASL Vet,

Just one gripe with the city maps : is it not possible to make them at least somewhat damaged/rubbled/craterized ??

I know ASL had no "damaged" maps, but now I find very weird maps of Berlin or Stalingrad with all neat, undamaged buildings !

All photos of '45 Berlin and '42 Stalingrad show big pile of rubbles rather than "cities" ...

I am going to respond to you by e-mail. However, for the casual reader ... there are hundreds of (hand added BTW) shell holes all over both maps and there is also lots of rubble on both maps. There are limits to what one can do visually with CM and if a building isn't a completely flattened pile of masonry (maybe the walls are up but no roof) then there isn't much I can do about the 'clean' look. I suppose the degree is in the eye of the beholder. If you have a comment about the terrain, please add it to that portion of the questionnaire or e-mail me and I can put your suggestion to the group. Suggestion, review, survey, decision. That is the process I am following.