Bi-Weekly Newsletter Official Announcement

2/7/02

After much enthusiasm on the Scenario board for a journal treatment of Combat Mission I have decided to head up a project to create this journal. (Yes, the playtesting website is still under development...if anyone still cares)

Here is what is going on:

Because there are now so many fans of the Combat Mission game and soon to be series it seems only appropriate that a journal be created for "offline" consumption that contains things like tactics, features on the game and historical events, news and rumors, the mod community, the scenario community, and other relevant Combat Mission news.

This journal will be a bi-weekly journal that will be "published" in Adobe Acrobat format so that it can look elegant, but still retain cross OS compatibility. Furthermore, this publication will need a staff of dedicated volunteers to help get it off the ground.

Here is what is currently needed:

2 Editors: These 2 people would be responsible for dividing up the issue's articles, proofing them, and when they are ready submitting them to me for inclusion in the journal.

(REQ: Strong English language skills, enough time to complete these tasks for the articles that are submitted)

3 Tactics Writers: These 3 people would be responsible for writing short articles on tactics for specific aspects of the game such as mines, taking out bunkers, etc. Topics would be generated by the writers and approved by the Editors and Editor in Chief.

(REQ: Familiarity with the tenets of the English language and responsible enough to produce 1 article every 2 weeks.)

3 Columnists: These 3 people would be responsible for writing editorial content for the site on current topics, debates, and issues within the Combat Mission community. Topics would be generated by the writers and approved by the Editors and Editor in Chief.

(REQ: Familiarity with the tenets of the English language and responsible enough to produce 1 article every 2 weeks.)

2 Mod Reporters: These 2 people would be the eyes and ears of the journal for the mod community. They would be writing articles, reviews, and how-to's on modding for Combat Mission. Topics would be generated by Mod Reporters and approved by the Editors and Editor in Chief.

5 Scenario Reporters: These 5 people would be responsible for writing reviews, previews, and critiques about scenarios. Topics would be generated by Scenario Reporters and approved by the Editors and Editor in Chief.

(REQ: Familiarity with the tenets of the English language and responsible enough to produce 2 article every 2 weeks.)

1 Tournament Reporter: This person would be responsible for writing interviews, and news about the tournaments that are taking place in the Combat Mission community. Topics would be generated by Scenario Reporters and approved by the Editors and Editor in Chief.

(REQ: Familiarity with the tenets of the English language and responsible enough to produce 1 article every 2 - 3 weeks as tournaments dictate.)

2 News & Rumors Reporters: These 2 people would be responsible for writing the latest news,scandales, and rumors about the Combat Mission community. Topics would be generated by News & Rumors Reporters and approved by the Editors and Editor in Chief.

(REQ: Familiarity with the tenets of the English language and responsible enough to produce 3 article every 2 weeks.)

3 Feature Reporter: These 3 people would be responsible for writing longer features about any topic within the Combat Mission community included but not limited to: Historical articles, how to's, modding guides, and even in depth articles regarding gameplay tips. Topics would be generated by Feature Reporters and approved by the Editors and Editor in Chief.

(REQ: Familiarity with the tenets of the English language and responsible enough to produce 1 article every 4 weeks. This responsibility is shifted between reporters so that there will always be 1 feature in every journal.)

Article Lengths:

Tactics: 200 - 300 words

Columnists: 150 - 300 words

Mod: 150 - 250 words

Scenarios: 250 - 350 words

Tournaments: 200 - 300 words

News & Rumors: 100 - 200 words

Features: 450 - 700 words

(These lengths are minimums, you may go from 100 - 300 words over pending approval from the editors.)

If you are interested in this opportunity to get in on the ground floor. Please contact me at: medlinke@msu.edu.

Attach a plain text or RTF example of your writing, and if you are going to apply to be an editor please exhibit your BEST example of writing.

This journal will NOT be published until the first FULL cycle of articles is over (approximately 3 - 4 weeks after all positions are filled).

Another post will be made when all positions are filled. Do NOT send any Microsoft Word Documents as I will not read them. Finally, if you have any questions you can post them here or mail them to me at:

CONTACT INFORMATION:

medlinke@msu.edu

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SuperTed:

Excellent!

Good luck, sir!

HANDS OFF SuperTed - you have enough on your plate! :D:D

Unless of course, you're already on staff...which would not surprise me...</font>

• 2 weeks later...

Bump...with an explanation

I need to fill more positions on this. The response has been very lackluster to this project so I will let it die in another 3 days if I don't fill the positions I need.

I only have:

2 Editors

1 Cartoonist

1 Scenario Reviewer

If you want to be a part of this publication, or if you have questions about its operation, content, etc. E-mail it to me asap.

Also, leave your thoughts on why you DONT want to see a publication of this type. I think it could be very useful.

For you ASL folks, you know how great ASL Journals are even though the ASLML gets hundreds of posts a day.

So, just a final little note to let you know that I can still user writers.

Thanks

Keith

I'm afraid all I can offer is enthusiasm for the project. I really hope it takes off. I'd love to be able to provide more concrete assistance filling one of the positions, unfortunately I'm not even close to qualifying for the topics that would be covered by the journal.

Luckily for me there are a bunch of people on this board who I think could do a fantastic job (time permitting).

I am going to give it until the end of this week, and then...dead in the water.

It's too bad though.

For those of you who have thought this was a cool idea...support it!

In the end, I guess if nobody says they want to help write then...there is no content, and I'm certainly not writing everything myself! lol

Maybe I'll try a monthly e-zine with contributors or something...

hmmmm