OK, what kind of German tank is this???

Originally posted by JonS:

And his own webpage

You can tell he resized the tables on his page - if you do that in Frontpage98, it automatically writes a "set width" command meaning the text inside is centred on the old size, not the new size, which is why the text in the cells is off kilter.

Wonder if he's figured that out yet?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the same armor car. The tires are in the same spot, as are the lug nuts. Also, the angle is slightly different in the taking of the pictures, so the guy recording has moved, but only by what appears to be a few feet. You can also see part of the KV in the smoke, looks like the top deck can be seen just above the engine of the armor car.

In light of the action, it looks like they are taking some incoming. Yea, I would be running around too!

Tom

Hey Guys, I am the bidder on the photo. I was aware that it is two vehicles and have bought nice items/photos from Charles before. I have not been ripped off by him yet, but I appreciate the "heads-up" from you guys. It shows a real citizenship that is rare these days. I am a collector of WW2 Italian, Russian and German militaria and an old Marine Corps tanker. If you have a chance, check out my WW2 site. Thanks again you guys, Russ www.geocities/warphotos.com

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I am trying to do some research on basic Italian company, platoon and squad organization - do you know anything about that kind of stuff?

As someone mentioned in another thread, the organisational charts in the old Avalon Hill game Tobruk had some pretty accurate information on them. Thing is though, that I think they only represent one kind of infantry and I suspect the Italians had several different organisations. Anyway, it's a place to start.

Michael

[ April 08, 2002, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I am trying to do some research on basic Italian company, platoon and squad organization - do you know anything about that kind of stuff?

As someone mentioned in another thread, the organisational charts in the old Avalon Hill game Tobruk had some pretty accurate information on them. Thing is though, that I think they only represent one kind of infantry and I suspect the Italians had several different organisations. Anyway, it's a place to start.

Michael</font>

Hi...on Italian organisation, etc. you might try the websites...Coorte...AMICI and the Italianisti forum which is free and accessible through the AOL AMICI site. Email me on my other account at Meloki36@cs.com if you want the exact addresses. It's easier for me to give you the addresses from that account. I'm excited about tactically moving the Italian around in the new incarnation of this game. Stupid question, since I've been out awhile, when is the release date? Russ

EBAY said:

Dear User:

Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate items being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases this policy may prevent users from accessing items that do not violate the law. At this time, we are working on less restrictive alternatives. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

Thank You.

I hate this country! *sigh*

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

You've got a copy and a scanner? ;) A photocopy would be good - even better in some ways...I can pay your costs...

You've got a deal if you want it. No scanner, but I can xerox and mail it and I'll do it for free. My e-mail is on my profile. If you can use what I've got, send me a snail mail address. It may be a couple of weeks though as I first have to run it down and then get copies made and I am presently limited in both those activities.

In all honesty though, I doubt it - the info I am looking for is how the military ranks corresponded to the different positions in the company - squad leader, platoon leader, fireteam leader (if they had such a thing), etc.
Sorry, ranks not listed. It does account for every man in the company and all weapons though, I believe.

Michael

P.S. If I ever locate my handbook on the early German infantry, I'll make that available too.

P.P.S. I wish I did have a scanner. Maybe next big purchase.

LOL - it looks more like a plastacine mock-up. The little bits of dirt around the front of it look out of scale, there is no vegetation, and the sky/horizon looks ... fake.

If you bought that photo, it wouldn't be your collection of militaria that was growing :rolleyes:

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

LOL - it looks more like a plastacine mock-up. The little bits of dirt around the front of it look out of scale, there is no vegetation, and the sky/horizon looks ... fake.

I think we are looking at the backside of it and it is located on the edge of a cliff. Photo probably taken on a foggy day. The GIs were most likely just using it for target practice long after the Germans had abandoned it (notice the date: 8/29). Looks like nearly 100 hits from various ranges and angles, but to my eye they all look to be from the same caliber gun.

I thought it looked like modeling clay myself.

;)

Michael

My first impression was a firing range target also; we use derelict tanks for that purpose up here, I am sure other countries do the same.

Oh, Michael, I forgot to reply - thanks for the offer. I'll see what i can find online first, but I might take you up on it. So, no rush trying to find the stuff, but I appreciate the offer!

The Germans had little "build your own" armour steel quick bunkers but this one...

Looks like clay to me too. I would have thought concrete would shatter more and metal have more visible discolourations...

--

M.

[ April 10, 2002, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Mattias ]

Believe it or not that might still be a "German" tank!

I have a distant memory of the Germans refurbishing a Russian KV2 for their invasion of... um... Crete(?)... Malta(?). Hey, don't blame me - I read the report back last century sometime.

I'd bet a weeks pay that I first spotted that very photo in reference to that. So that might (I repeat MIGHT) be a photo from the Mediterranian theater and not the Russian Front.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I have a distant memory of the Germans refurbishing a Russian KV2 for their invasion of... um... Crete(?)... Malta(?).

The Germans invaded Crete a month before they invaded the USSR and so far as I recall used no armor at all in the event (though some light armor may have originally been planned).

They never got around to invading Malta at all.

The Germans did use some captured Soviet equipment in North Africa in the form of 76mm guns mounted on German chasses as the early Marders. But nothing remotely like the KV-2.

Michael

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I have a distant memory of the Germans refurbishing a Russian KV2 for their invasion of... um... Crete(?)... Malta(?). Hey, don't blame me - I read the report back last century sometime.

In the wake of the summer invasion of the Soviet Union, Several KV-2 tanks were captured intact, and seemed ideally suited to serve as bunker busters for operations in Malta. Several KV-2s along with some captured T-34s were formed into a special company of (z.b.v.) 66 for the Malta operation.

- pg 33. Stalin's Heavy Tanks 1941-45

S Zaloga, J Kinnear, A Aksenoy, A Koshchavtsev

Armor at War series No 7012

Concord Publications

Mace

PS I just read that the other day ;)

Well, I work with concrete all the time, and there is no way that pillbox is concrete. Essentially, concrete is no good in tension, that is what the rebar is far. Shell impacts would not look like that, the concrete would have cracked and shattered into little pieces, not show the ductile failure in the photo. Steel possibly, concrete, no.