would you define this as gamey?

aussi

last night i was playing a tcp/ip game and trying out some new tactics. i bought a platoon of british glider which i spread across the map and then split into teams of 3 and 4 and used them as 6 groups of advanced scouts for the bulk of my infantry... the guy i was playing told me this was a "gamey" tactic, im just wondering what other poeple think.

That is not gamey at all. That is actually a real world tactic known as the Soviet Recon Technique. It is quiet effective and if you're careful with your split squads you might not even lose that many men while still gaining valueable intelligence on the enemy's strengths and weaknesses. Tell your opponent to quit his crying and to play the game.

I don't think its gamey at all, your recon tactic seems very sound.

However, if your opponent is a big fan of Franko's Ironman Rules or the equivalent, s/he may be upset that your scouts might be so far ahead of your main troops, that the info they get is "Borg" recon, i.e. they couldn't report back to HQ. Some ppl don't like when you do the same using crews.

well ive only had cmbo for 2 weeks, this was only like my 4th tcp/ip game. previously i had used my crews as scouts and was promptly informed it was a big no no. so i was looking for another way to scout without using vehicles. i learnt pretty quickly that running lots of inf into woods blindly can be a very costly experience smile.gif

shameless advert, if anyones looking for a tcp/ip game, gimme a holler on icq smile.gif 1579427

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: aussi ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aussi:

i bought a platoon of british glider which i spread across the map and then split into teams.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Split-squad recon is not gamey. But if you bought a Brit glider platoon to screen for a force of straight-leg Brit infantry, or (worse) to screen Ami infantry, some folks consider it gamey. As always, your preferences and mileage may vary, so ask your opponent if "mixed nationality" forces are okay before starting a game.

Agua Perdido

welcome to CM! in my experience, the cry of "gamey" will come up a lot when you do something that is okay but puts you at an advantage over the opponet. there are a few things that ARE conisdered gamey (flak trucks, crew recon, ect.), but split squads for recon is great! good call on that fine point of the game.

just be carefull buying guns in a ME that arnt hitched up! :(

I agree, not gamey at all. Silvio, there is nothing in Franko's True Combat Rules or Iron Man I know of that says this type of recon is cheating.

What would be cheating according to FTCR would be to fly ahead of your scouts with the mouse to inspect terrain you could not see from the scout's position.

Observant Toad