Best books on German uniforms?

There's 4 good book:

Waffen-Ss Uniforms: In Colour Photographs (Europa Militaria, 6)

-by Andrew Steven, Peter Amodio

Waffen-Ss Soldier 1940-1945 (Warrior, No 2)

-by Bruce Quarrie, Jeffrey Burn

The Waffen-SS (Men at Arms Series, 34)

-by Martin Windrow

German Army (4), 1939-1945: Eastern Front 1943-1945 (Men-At-Arms Series, 330)

-by Nigel Thomas

All available by amazon.com, you can also "Look inside this book" (Some page are in .pdf so you can have an idea of the content...)

Brian L. Davis - Uniforms and Insignia of the German Army.

The absolute best is not in print anymore, but try and find it used - UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT OF THE WEHRMACHT by John R. Angolia. It is still printed in German as DIE DEUTSCHE WEHRMACHT UNIFORMIERUNG UND AUSTRüSTUNG. I picked up a copy and am trying to learn how to read it!

The Men at Arms series mentioned above is terrific, get all 5 volumes.

I have some basic info on my LANDSER website at http://members.shaw.ca/deutschesoldaten/

As for equipment, try GERMAN COMBAT EQUIPMENT by Gordon Rottman and Ron Volstad, also a Men at Arms book and the best, and most affordable primer, there is.

Also to go www.soldat.com - my friend Cyrus Lee has put out a terrific set of affordable books on uniforms and equipment of the Army and SS - several volumes to choose from. My own CANUCK book was done as a part of the SOLDAT family of books. These show great, clear pictures of uniforms and equipment in modern reconstructions that can't be beat by any of the books showing WW II photos only.

SOLDAT VOLUME III AT AMAZON.COM

Vol3.jpg

[ December 15, 2002, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Thanks for your recommendations and the links to some great sites. I bought Angolia's book (in German, which is no problem for me, since I speak it) and the books by Nigel Thomas and Andrew Stevens.

Truppenführung and Michael, thanks for your help.

And you have a very interesting site there, Michael, my compliments.