Force Organization At Start

I was wondering how other players start up a game as far as organizing their units?

I place logical units together and then form my security, recon, main body and reserves from there. Then I place them on the map in regards to my mission.

Do you guys put platoons into formations or ...? Do you place arty spotters with command units? How do you get organized at the beginning of each battle? I think my question pertains more to Quick Battles than Scenarios.

I follow your model. After figuring out my mission, I group my squads by platoon by company, my support units with the higher HQ's. Then I look at the map and decide whom to place where. The grouping process can be tedious but does force me to spend more time plottin' & connivin' before placing units.

Cheers,

Mike

Don't forget to take into account your commanders abilities - ie, if you have a commander with high stealth, he would be best used for scouting before a battle or for flanking maneuvers. Take advantage of commanders with high attack rating to lead the brunt of your attack, the attack advantage really does help - opps will flee faster and speed up the attack - you get the idea...

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you are referring to attack or ME quick battles, where it is necessary to advance you forces on the map.

I always place my platoons in formation and position them on the map according to their missions. Any medium or heavy infantry weapons teams are placed as far forward in the set up zone as possible (usually in front of the platoons that they will support), to reduce the distance that they will need to cover to reach their initial objectives.

Always make sure that your units starting positions are out of LOS of the enemy's side of the map.

I usually try to purchase vehicles that will be able to tow any guns - as a map with no favorable locations for your guns in the set up zone can ruin the chance for your guns to be effective if they have to take 10 turns just to get into a forward position.

When placing armor, I always try and give my units a starting position which will allow them to advance forward with as much cover as possible. It is essential to keep your armored force a "mystery" to your opponent as long as possible - only exposing tanks when you absolutely need them to help your mission.

As for artillary spotters, it's easy to fall into the habit of placing them on a spot of the map which gives them the best LOS and leave them there. Be careful - good opponents will predict the likely hiding spots for you spotters and they will lay down HE fire or their own arty in the hope that your spotter is hiding there. Few things are more disappointing than to see your 200+ pnt spotter routed by turn 3!

Of course, I always break my own rules if the situation calls for it, but IMO it's beneficial to create good set-up habits and organize your forces ahead of time based on your plan.

cheers

I agree with all the above, except for one point: the predictability of FO's spotters locations. Untill now I lost a lot of games but never did my opponent killed an FO in that manner or made an attempt. Basically the only way to do this is:

using arty or mortars or area fire wth guns or area fire with armour. Taking in account that on a "standard" 1500 - 2000pts map there are many "obvious fo spotter locations, it would take a lot of ammo for all the above mentioned weapons to be succesfull in killing an non spotted FO. Arty and mortars ammo is way too precious to shoot blind, guns you want to conceal untill really needed, and as Cpt Blue stated ; the same counts for armour, you don't want them to fire blind and give away their hiding place. The exception of all of this is that some guys blow up buildings that are in your set up zone and that have LOS to their on. I sometimes to it if this building has a very broad LOS over allmost the entire battlefield. Not that I have the idea there is an FO in it, but only a cheap single unit in there of the opponent can ruin all my sneaky movements smile.gif

So much for mho

gr

Screeny

I asked this question some time ago. The answers have not changed. Synopsis:

Make "pools" of your units:

Manually organize infantry into platoons.

Check the capabilities of leaders.

Check the capabilities (fire power, range, experience) of the units.

Separately group other infantry and arty assets.

These are the "T" units. Check these unit capabilities.

Separately group armor assets. Maybe sub groups of heavy and light or HE and AP characteristics.

Check out and decide upon your goal(s) from the Briefing, the VLs, the time limit and the terrain. Decide how you will accomplish your goal.

Get in the mind of your opponent. What is he going to do? How will he do it?

Look over your forces.

Decide how you will accomplish your goals.

Decide how you will keep the enemy from accomplishing his. Revise goals as needed.

Based on what you plan to do, draw the assets you need from your "pools" to accomplish your plans. But don't make units leaderless unless there is a very good reason.

Set them up accordingly.

Hopefully using this planning (and I probably left something out) your rubber boats won't be ten miles back when it comes time to cross the river.

Swimmingly..... Toad

when i am selecting forces, i first figure out what i want, then i delete them all and select them again based on what troops/equipment are going to be grouped together during the battle. When they appear on the map, they start from the bottom right and go left. Basically, it just makes it easier as the units that will fight together are side by side on the map/ It is especially important for big games.