BFC: Whats Next? Going to the Desert or Engine Rewrite?

Chad Harrison wrote:

opinions are like butts, we all have our own and others think it stinks smile.gif
Only the ones that kiss it. :D

While my first inclination is infact a fancy of the Guadalcanal Campaign or the retaking of the Philippines, someone in this here thread redirected my thoughts towards the China-Burma-India theater. After a little thought about that, I believe such would provide a long timeline and richly varied geographical study as well as a variety of equipments and weapons.

It is true however that God only listened to me on one occasion. And that was when I assulted his code change for armored hull turning. The resulting lightning bolt on my butt indeed left it stinkin. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I, for one, do still clamor for the Desert to come next.

To anyone who thinks this doesn't appeal to enough folks, it would seem to me that North Africa has been veeery popular commercially. And though you could say its been done to death, it ain't been done till BFC has done it.

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Early war 1940's stuff is precisely the sort of thing that can be modded without necessitating code writes as the basic European weaponry is already done, as is that of the Desert and the Med. Schlap some paint on them and their ready to go.

I cordially disagree. There was a world of difference between some of the critical weapons systems fielded in the period 1939-41 and later in the war. The artillery and the rifles might not have changed much, but the the armor and the anti-armor weaponry surely did.

Nope, this will definitely require some serious recoding. Just how much will become evident when BTS sits down to tackle the job.

Michael

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

It is true however that God only listened to me on one occasion. And that was when I assulted his code change for armored hull turning. The resulting lightning bolt on my butt indeed left it stinkin. :D

You challenged God on his doctrine? An survived it! The change was needed, and somehow I dont think that this time around we will find a lot of opportunities to challenge God on his product! This ones going to shine like a jewel!

Chad

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Heya guys,

Just popping in here to let you know that we havnt yet released plans for whats next. Steve has mentioned in the General Forum I beleive that the rewrite is next, but that is the only solid info we can give at the moment. More to come down the track though. smile.gif

Dan

What!!? No release date? ;)

the China-Burma-India theater. After a little thought about that, I believe such would provide a long timeline and richly varied geographical study as well as a variety of equipments and weapons.
Woo hoo! That's TWO of us. FEEL the press of overwhelming market forces, you 1940's Low Countries pansies! CM:CBI is practically right around the corner!

Guys, BFC can hire a coder-wannabe or two as soon as the returns from cmbb start turning in.. So engine rewrite in 18 months instead of 36?

Plenty of boring leg-work coding I'm sure everyone agrees is not where we want Charles concentrating.. And maybe we can even get the bloody movie viewer and (*gasp*) commad line switches!

My father is a veteran of the 8th Army who served in both N. Africa and Italy, and he's getting up there in age. He has expressed some interest in CMBO, but I think a Mediterranian version would grab his attention and hold it. Therefore I'd like to see CM III as soon as possible(without comprimising quality of course). Just my .02$

Michael emrys wrote:

but the the armor and the anti-armor weaponry surely did.

Yes, there were all sorts of things that "could" require a rewrite if one were to include them, but basically CM already has the guts of it was the point. If one wanted to gather up all the variences during 44-45 for that matter would require some work. Basically however, it is there. Not nearly so much as doing the CBI in the Pacific. Which, is what needs to be done. Early war Europe pales in comparison of scope.

Chad Harrison wrote:

The change was needed
No it wasn't, but at this point it doesn't matter.

[ August 24, 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

I'm all for the new engine taking place in the mediteranean. N. Africa, Italy, Greece, Balkans

Get their feet wet with the new engine. See how Grants sponson mounted main gun works, etc.

Then the possibility of going back to Europe. What I'd love to happen, would be ALL of WWII Europe instead of just the early years. Yes it would be a lot of coding, but a lot of what we waited for is the TO&E of units for the whole Eastern front and Overloard to VE day. Those things won't change, so there would be far less unit research needed to have CM 4 be CM Paris to Moscow, or something. Basically, all of WWII that took place in Western Europe and the Soviet Union.

It's a tall order, but since we are just pipe-dreaming, that's mine and the reason I think it is at least possible.