BFC: Whats Next? Going to the Desert or Engine Rewrite?

Maybe I missed it, but I know that the next installment of CM will be in the desert(IIRC). BUT, is that before or after the engine rewrite? Or is that not finalized right now?

Obviously everyones focus right now is CMBB, but it seems like before you guys even finish one, the next is on the drawing boards!

Does ANYONE know whats next? (I dont care about time tables of a future release, I just want to know if we have the engine rewrite to look forward to next!!)

Chad Harrison

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

France 1940 (I hope). Maybe if we are lucky they will shelve their own wishes ( ;) ) for CMIII and take a poll of the local population. I think desert war is most likely though (perhaps w/ mediterranian/ balkans thrown in). Expect a 2 year wait unless we are really lucky!

The engine rewrite is what is next. The first incarnation of the new engine will be the next CM release which covers the Mediterranean (North Africa/Italy/Greece/Balkans/Crete). That is how I understand it. Once CMBB is fully patched (and considered 'complete') it will probably take two years for the next release.

Once most of the engine 'requirements' are formulated Charles ('CoderGod') will proceed to work on the code, while the rest of the team can start in on the other elements of CM3.

I wanna fight some Japanese!!
okay, go to Japan, go up to someone (not a tourist though, that would be stupid.) and tell them thier mother was a prosititute as was their farther.

Die.

see, no wait, appart from the plane journey and ticket booking, a couple of weeks max.

Unless you just did Europeans vs. Japanese, but then you'd be leaving out most of the conflict. Esp. China, but also the Viet Minh, Indonesian independence fighters, etc.[/QB]

CBI = China-Burma-India. And I was thinking a game centered on Burma, starting from 41 or 42. Imphal could be included, and China adjacent to Burma. Chinese forces fought in the area, so they could be included in the "Allied" force.

Lots of interesting infantry-heavy fighting that I think would fit CM's very well. I'd love to see a CM:Burma to Burma. The terrain might be different enough that an engine re-write would be needed to handle the fighting well, I dunno.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

The engine rewrite is what is next. The first incarnation of the new engine will be the next CM release which covers the Mediterranean (North Africa/Italy/Greece/Balkans/Crete). That is how I understand it. Once CMBB is fully patched (and considered 'complete') it will probably take two years for the next release.

Once most of the engine 'requirements' are formulated Charles ('CoderGod') will proceed to work on the code, while the rest of the team can start in on the other elements of CM3.

For some reason, thats what I had been thinking all along. I would be surprised if we see the next installment in JUST two years. Rewriting the code IMO will take quite a bit longer, and I would expect more around 2 1/2 to 3 years after CMBB is all patched up.

I would rather see CMBB all patched up and perfected, and have BFC start on whatevers next, rather then rush CMBB just to get to the next thing. As long as they follow past patterns with CMBO, they will get it all bright and shiney first, and then move on!

On a side note, I think that it would almost be odd to go to the Mediterranian after CMBB. Talk about downsizing! Not necessarily in size of theatre of operations, but just the scale of battles and what not!

Chad Harrison

The Med has a whole range of nationalities though - Yugoslav Partisans, Greeks, Italians, French, British, American, Canadian, New Zealand, Australian, South African, French colonial....

Wide range of terrain, from European in Tunisia and Italy to desert in Sicily and North Africa, to mountainous (Italy and the Balkans), plus lots of interesting battles - El Alamein, Anzio, Crete (maybe we'll see para and glider rules finally?? Would be a selling point for me), Ortona, San Pietro,...

Lots of good stuff there.

We have seen BFC state flatly no interest in the Pacific, thought I would mention it here in case someone else hasn't.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The Med has a whole range of nationalities though - Yugoslav Partisans, Greeks, Italians, French, British, American, Canadian, New Zealand, Australian, South African, French colonial....

There are definatly a lot of combatants envolved, but the BIG battles (outside of the latter North Africa battles, and some 1944-5 Italy battles), none were really on the scale of the Russian front. Atleast thats how I picture it in my mind (which by no means is always right!).

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Crete (maybe we'll see para and glider rules finally?? Would be a selling point for me), Ortona, San Pietro,...

You got me on that one. I dont think that one of us has not desired the ability to fight a REAL glider/para battle in CMBO. If they added that in the engine rewrite, thats all I would play for the first month of CM2!

Also, the battle around the mountain ranges of Italy would make for some new possibilities from an engine rewrite (CMBO as it is could not do justice to the mountain fighting that went on in the mountains of Italy).

Chad Harrison

[ August 23, 2002, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Chad Harrison ]

Chad - picture a Feiseler Storch landing on a mountaintop and carrying away a shabby looking man in a trenchcoat...after a glider assualt went in to rescue him of course...

I sort of see your point about the "big" battles - but CM simulates the "small" battles! :D

I know you would get an argument out of any D-Day Dodger you cared to ask, whether or not his battles were big...but you know that already.

Heya guys,

Just popping in here to let you know that we havnt yet released plans for whats next. Steve has mentioned in the General Forum I beleive that the rewrite is next, but that is the only solid info we can give at the moment. More to come down the track though. smile.gif

Dan

Naaah!!

I'm sure the next CM instalment will embrace the MEDIEVAL era, aka CMBC (Combat Mission: Beyond Camelot).

Charles has really been itching to get stuck into the physics coding for boiling oil, trebuchets, ballistas, crossbows and the like, PLUS the myriad armour factors (polished .2mm tin-plate, soft copper mail, lead-lined gauntlets etc).

Apparently this version will also see the introduction of "TRUE 3D" mode hand-to-hand fighting. Yeah!!!! Bring it on, I say!!!! The 10 year wait WILL be worth it.... :D:D

AJ

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Just popping in here to let you know that we havnt yet released plans for whats next. Steve has mentioned in the General Forum I beleive that the rewrite is next, but that is the only solid info we can give at the moment.

Thanks Dan! That is exactly what I wanted to know. We know that you guys have much better things to do right now than to dream about the future, like work on . . . um . . . CMBB! Keep up the good work!

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh

Chad - picture a Feiseler Storch landing on a mountaintop and carrying away a shabby looking man in a trenchcoat...after a glider assualt went in to rescue him of course...

Or, how bought an early morning in the desert, and the British begin their advance only to be dispatched by two FlaK 88's at 1500m's! Do you think that they will model that fact that the crew abandones the tank after the first shot misses?, because the second wont miss . . .

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh

I sort of see your point about the "big" battles - but CM simulates the "small" battles!

That is true, but operations are so much funner when it is a small part of huge battle! (IMO) I think the pattern right now for a lot of us is wanting to play early war battles, before all the tanks became moving pillboxes! When ATR's actually did something (hopefully). The desert definatly appeals to me. And Greece would be a hoot to play!

Chad

edited because I clicked too fast!

[ August 23, 2002, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Chad Harrison ]