MMG Carrier rules!

I used them once by accident in qb, and i'll never go in a battle without them any more! they are highmobile, fast, have loooots of ammo and have quite a bit of armor; and not to forget: they are pretty cheap!. i never spend my points on slow MMG troops any more. the only drawback of the carrier is that if one crewmember is hit its always the gunner and then your carrier is useless. but if you take care of it and don't approach too much to your enemy, it is very useful in the attack as well as in the defense role.

------------------

Ron

No pain, no game!

They're great for suppressive fire. Just wheel one over to 100 yards from some enemy inf if you want to keep thier heads down.

Have you tried the Wasp flame carriers? They're my favorite flame unit, because they can stand off further from the enemy than a flamethrower team, and don't cost as much as a sherman croc.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Both units do work very well in the proper situations, but they're about as big as a tank and lack heavy weaponry. Keep an eye out for tanks, or you might lose half your carrier force in under a minute (This happened to me once).

------------------

"War is like a cat, it is easy to let out of the bag, but hard as hell to put back in!"

-Me

Well, most of the time I like to play the axis.

I always buy some cheap 20mm Flak. Try to move one of your MG carriers in sight of those guns and they´re history.

I really like those 95% chances to hit on 300 yards...

An MG team on foot is much more likely to survive battle than those "coffins on tracks".

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

Exactly, Matt. Breaking out the halftracks/MMG is something to do AFTER all the armor is dead, including the 20 mm flak guns. Also beware of grenades and fausts at closer range. But that .50 cal MG sure is good at making 'em hit the deck while you march up the infantry!

Just keep them hidden until they are safe.

It's a .30 cal Vickers MMG, not a .50 cal.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I find the MG carriers very useful, prefer them to the foot kind, and consider one of them added as an integral part of a British infantry platoon.

In addition to the "bring them out late" idea, you can also use them with the usual keyhole or angled sighting, to avoid enemy AT weapons. Practically all Allied vehicles have to do this (for at last part of a battle), so it is not like it is anything new. They are also fast and a low small target.

The main reasons I find them so much better, though, is that MGs serve a definite function on the battlefield. That is to suppress enemy infantry or shoot it up crossing open ground. You do not need to be in LOS of every anti-tank gun to do this, and don't want to be, and you move and half of them don't.

The second reason is that they are much more mobile than the leg MGs. The British infantry is pretty fast - even their mortar is light - and a foot MG slows them down. The carrier can't go everywhere, but its speed more than makes up for this, allowing you to switch firing positions much more easily than leg ones can, when someone skulks out of LOS. This is especially in areas under enemy infantry fire, which is where MGs are typically wanted.

The only time I can think off when I'd prefer the leg ones, is for town fighting. Then you get better cover in buildings and want to crawl around them from window to window and such. Still might take 1 to switch which avenue to "strafe" quickly, but for most of the MGs, inside is probably better. But other than street fighting, why walk when you can ride?

How vulnerable to artillery is the Uni carrier? I was playing a game and had 6 wiped out by 170mm artillery in a flash and well a bang, which is pretty large bore but Im sure even smaller artillery can quite easily take one of those crew members out having no top cover.

Is the blast radius an abstract number or is the blast size for the shrapnel in meters?

Anyway that aside the Wasp is wicked but i find keeping him buttoned up makes him occasionally very slow to spot stuff, its great though when they are brave enough to drive up and take armour like a StugIII out.