I Challenge Peng for a bone to be thrown

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Seanachai:

I guess I didn't realize you and Berli had taken quite so many pictures of the stuff in my apartment.

When did you snap all these? While I was in the kitchen helping Joe after he dumped my entire silverware drawer on the floor?

:D

It was a conspiracy...Joe had to distract you so I could take all the piccies. Thanks Joe!

Persephone

[ August 13, 2002, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Persephone ]

[/serious mode ON]

Time: 6:30 P.M., Sat 10 Aug.

Location: East end of Gunflint Lake, U.S./Canada Border, 1/2 mile from shore.

Weather: A Wall of Torrential Rain, moving fast from the West, 5-6 ft. Whitecap Rollers, 40+ mph Winds, Visibilty - Nil.

Fishing Buddy: Screaming like a Little Girl that he has a Family.

My Poor Ass: In the back end of a friggin' 17 ft. Canoe, a foot deep in water, J-stroking like crazy to keep the bow into the wind, yelling at said Fishing Buddy that if he wants to see his wife and kids again instead of the bottom of a 300 ft. deep Lake, he'd better shut his piehole and PADDLE!

Always nice to survive your birthday.

It's good to be alive.

[/serious mode OFF]

Originally posted by YK2:

BTW Mace you can watch for free .

Brothel Boy will be so happy...he usually has to pay.

-----------------------

Persephone

Originally posted by Lars:

My Poor Ass: In the back end of a friggin' 17 ft. Canoe, a foot deep in water, J-stroking like crazy

My God you're disgusting.

----------------------------

Boo_Radley:

LMAO.....

Don't you just love those one liners?

[/serious mode ON]

Weather: A Wall of Torrential Rain, moving fast from the West, 5-6 ft. Whitecap Rollers, 40+ mph Winds, Visibilty - Nil.

My Poor Ass: In the back end of a friggin' 17 ft. Canoe, a foot deep in water, J-stroking like crazy to keep the bow into the wind, yelling at said Fishing Buddy that if he wants to see his wife and kids again instead of the bottom of a 300 ft. deep Lake, he'd better shut his piehole and PADDLE!

It's good to be alive.

[/serious mode OFF]

Lars, Sounds frightening! Glad you're alright!

Persephone

[/serious mode ON]

It's good to be alive.

[/serious mode OFF]

Years ago I took a friend up duck hunting on Lake of the Woods. My family has a place up there, three families who've known each other most of my life with cabins on an island in Miles Bay, and we went out in mid-October for Bluebills.

My Dad's business partner and life-long family friend met me and my buddy at the mainland dock to take us out to the island. It was about 38 degrees out, gray skies and harsh wind. We were in heavy, cold weather hunting gear and snowmobile boots. Half way to the cabin he decides to drop us with one of my brother-in-laws who's shooting from a shore blind about halfway out into nowhere. We spent an uncomfortable hour and a half sitting and freezing our bums off (the ducks had decided the weather was too nasty for anything except killing hunters, so they wisely weren't flying).

Then my brother-in-law loaded us, all our gear, his buddy, two dogs, what seemed like several hundred decoys, etc. etc. into a 16' Chriscraft with a single 50 horse on the back. Through icy, driving wind, black skies and rapidly failing light we laboured along with the boat so low in the water I was afraid we weren't going to keep riding over waves, but start having them come over the bow. I could tell my brother-in-law was working his arse off to find us sheltered passages, adding miles to the trip, and having to keep us into the wind for fear that we wouldn't be able to cope with waves we didn't take head on. He couldn't go too slow, either, having to keep the boat cranked up as much as he could to try and beat the storm coming in and the fall of complete darkness. There was sweat on his face despite a 30 mph cold wind.

Through this my buddy, who'd grown up in the Chicago suburbs with no real experience of 'the North', was completely unperturbed. I remember being impressed with his calm certainty.

That evening, when we made it back and were having many drinks, my buddy suddenly said: "You know, when we started back for the cabin tonight I was scared for a little bit, but then I thought, hey, these guys come up here and do this all the time. If there was any real danger they wouldn't have headed out onto the lake."

We absolutely fell off our chairs laughing. He just sat there, with dawning horror. My brother-in-law's buddy said: "Didn't you hear what Pete (my brother-in-law) was mumbling?" My buddy said "I thought he was singing to himself".

More laughter. "He was reciting the Hail Mary over and over," said the other lad.

"Do you mean we could have drowned?!" He asked, white-faced.

Probably not, he was told. The water was so cold that hypothermia would have taken him off before he really had a chance to do much drowning.

I don't know that he ever really trusted us after that.

Happy Birthday, Lars.

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Lars, you'll try anything to avoid sending a turn.

Next time, buy/lease/steal a REAL boat.

Steve

That's the best part.

The 17 ft Tournament V with a 80 hp engine was at the dock on the west end of Gunflint.

[/serious mode ON]

It's good to be alive.

[/serious mode OFF]

<serious>Glad you're alive.</serious>

Now for the obligatory goof...

Let me see if I have this correctly.

</font>

• You are at the east end of a lake, 1/2 mile from shore.</font>
  • Wall of rain + strong wind (40+) coming from the West.</font>
  • You in the stern, trying to keep the bow into the wind.
    </font>

That would seem to indicate that rather than turning tail, facing east and making all good speed to the shore by letting these winds aid by pushing you to shore, you instead turn to face into the wind (West I believe you said). Where pray tell were you going? Given a canoe shape, bow or stern into the wind makes no difference as long as you don't turn broadside.

As for the terrified friend screaming like a girly-man, when did Seanachai take up fishing???

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Lars, you'll try anything to avoid sending a turn.

Next time, buy/lease/steal a REAL boat.

Steve

Up in the Border country, a 'real' boat will do you about as much good as a papal dispensation if the weather turns against you.

Both represent an illusory 'peace of mind' against the looming reality of the After Life.

[ August 13, 2002, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

As for the terrified friend screaming like a girly-man, when did Seanachai take up fishing???

How droll. Know that had I been with Lars, we could have continued to fish. Doubtless the friend who was with him was from some enfeebled State like Virginia...

And you are?

Beginning to feel queasy whenever I read your posts.

If you don't want to read either my drivel or Roxy's more educated posts then I suggest you just scroll right past them...

More educated? More educated?!?

Well, I suppose hearing this from someone who considers the Home Shopping Network to be educational T.V. shouldn't surprise me.

Infact while you're at it why don't you do all of us females a favour and blow your own head off in your next PBEM. If you find it too difficult a task then send me a set up and I'll take pleasure in doing it for you.

Even now, a setup wings it's glorious way toward your hovel. I shall set loose the minions of Panzer Armee Khann and exercise my superior tactical awareness upon you.

Papa

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Now for the obligatory goof...

Let me see if I have this correctly.

</font>

• You are at the east end of a lake, 1/2 mile from shore.</font>
  • Wall of rain + strong wind (40+) coming from the West.</font>
  • You in the stern, trying to keep the bow into the wind.
    </font>

That would seem to indicate that rather than turning tail, facing east and making all good speed to the shore by letting these winds aid by pushing you to shore, you instead turn to face into the wind (West I believe you said). Where pray tell were you going? Given a canoe shape, bow or stern into the wind makes no difference as long as you don't turn broadside.

Herr Oberst, canoes flip much easier taking waves from the rear. The wave wants to push the back end around and unless you can paddle faster than the wave, you have no control. It's better to take them straight on and at a slight angle. Take it from a 20 year vet of paddling the things all over the BWCA and Quetico.

We went into North Lake for the day. Great Smallmouth fishing. Had to make two portages through Little North and Little Gunflint to get back into the east end of Gunflint. Then it's a 6 mile paddle up the Lake to get back to camp at the west end.

The storm came up too fast. We never had a chance to make for shore. And the shore is solid rock.

[ August 13, 2002, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Lars ]

Greetings Ladies of The Pool. Oh, and you boys too.

Herr Oberst, that MEANY, has been sent his first file. I sincerely hope he detests the parameters I have chosen.

Today I applied for a job with Wal-Mart. Yes, that's right. I'm actually going to make a feeble attempt at earning an honest living. The opening I applied for is Director of Security and Loss Prevention. It seems a recent rash of shoplifting has brought on the premature demise of the former Director. Ah well...survival of the fittest.

YK2,

My job interview is scheduled for tomorrow. I feel the red is a bit much for this. Would you agree?

Good for you, Roxy. I worked at Walmart for 6 wonderful months. I had so much fun putting juice on shelves. I lived on Mountain Dew and ciggarettes. My ex-wife basically supported me as I worked on night shift.

They only require a pulse, so I'm sure you're a shoe-in. Go with red, it brings out your eyebrow. Be sure to flirt with the interviewer, especially if its a female. I always stretch alot and toss my hair to the side. It got me this wonderful job.

Originally posted by Roxy:

YK2,

My job interview is scheduled for tomorrow. I feel the red is a bit much for this. Would you agree?

Don't listen to Hiram we all know how he loves Delicious Booties so he would tell you to go with the red. :)

The black pinstripe skirt suit would look good, you know the one I mean? Make sure you wear the shiny stilettos though because those flat shoes didn't do you any justice.

I can't believe YOU are asking my advice, if these guys knew who you really were they would probably die happy knowing they actually shared a little time with you.

Anyway, good luck with the interview and let me know how things go.

P.S. thanks for the mail pics look great.

My dear Hiram,

I will NOT be "putting juice on shelves" should I get this job. That would be FAR beneath my dignity and would surely cause frequent runs in my hose.

Did you not read the title of the job I applied for? I would be in charge of preventing people like Roxy from stealing. This of course will enable me to steal them blind, with the added benefit that they will be paying me too.

As for your comment about my "eyebrow" let me just say that you are a...a...MEANY, and a wimpy one at that. I shall send you my photo just to prove I have TWO distinct, and very pretty eyebrows.

BTW, I know there are openings for juice stockers at Wal-Mart. You have no excuse for being on welfare. You're just a lazy leech, and a burden to society. Shame on you Hiram! Get a job, or at least steal for a living.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Roxy:

YK2,

Don't listen to Hiram we all know how he loves Delicious Booties so he would tell you to go with the red. :)

The black pinstripe skirt suit would look good, you know the one I mean? Make sure you wear the shiny stilettos though because those flat shoes didn't do you any justice.

I can't believe YOU are asking my advice, if these guys knew who you really were they would probably die happy knowing they actually shared a little time with you.

Anyway, good luck with the interview and let me know how things go.

P.S. thanks for the mail pics look great.</font>