D-day, my God, I almost forgot!!!

Does anyone know if anybody ever tried to pass legislation to get June 6th marked as a national holiday in the US? I would think that a day like that should be given more attention than it gets, in that I mean besides a few snippets on CNN. We celebrate or observe some fairly meaningless holidays in this country why not DDay it's a helluva lot more important than most of them, and nationally should be held in great honor?

Do any of the Commonwealth countires have a national holiday pertaining to this?

Mord.

Mord.

D-Day was the beginning, not the end. (Or, if you like, the Beginning of the End). VE Day and VJ Day would be likelier candidates, but if you had a day for every Pearl Harbor, etc., you would be on holiday all year!

Rememberance Day in the Commonwealth covers all of this. The Americans have Armistice Day/Veterans Day, and Memorial Day IIRC.

Besides which, calling the Normandy Invasion D-Day is insulting to anyone who went through D-Day on Sicily, at Salerno, at Anzio, at Reggio di Calabria, or in Southern France. They were all called D-Day, Normandy was simply one of many days so designated.

Originally posted by CombatGeneral:

Just wanted to say that I almost forgot about D-day tomorrow. I feel bad and guilty. I will take any abuse you guys throw at me for one day only. Then an insults will be dealt with on the CM battlefield. God bless America and all her soldiers.

Forgetting about the Normandy Invasion is one thing, blessing american soldiers is another. I don't want to take anything away from the soldiers who charged the beaches, but I would appreciate if you americans could pay more respect to your allies. I honestly think the term 'God bless America' is misplaced on an international forum like this. Sorry for making this general comments about americans, I know there are good ones and bad ones as with all other nationalities.

I feel bad and guilty. I will take any abuse you guys throw at me for one day only.
Great! Is the 24 hours up yet?

OK Sexy! You are an ignorant, narrow minded, thoughtless Gerfingerpoken!

Wheeeee that was fun :D

Serious point - When I stood at the viewpoint near Arromanches last year looking at the grand map and view directions for all the D-Day beaches, there was one small crowd of Americans who walked to the podium, and had long bullsh*t conversations looking out over the American half of the D-Day beaches.

Thoughout the whole time they were at the map, they never mentioned any other allies, and worst of all stood with their backs set to the British and Canadian beaches for the whole duration, never even bothering to so much as glance at them. They then wobbled back onto their coach.

I didn't know whether to be sick or to yell at them, so I just put it down to that awful stereotype actually being true in some cases :(

Originally posted by Visom:

Sorry for making this general comments about americans, I know there are good ones and bad ones as with all other nationalities.

Then please don't make them...

Your statement is nearly as inflammatory as the original. Personally, I see nothing wrong with a brief patriotic post. Perhaps his post is focused closer to home because a grandfather or an uncle or someone close fought or died in that operation. I would see nothing wrong with anyone else, from any of the involved countries, making a similar post, hoping for blessings on their country or their young men who stand in harms way.

Rather than making a post where you take an opposing or combative view, try to educate with a post along the lines of "Let's not forget all the other allies and their contributions to the effort as well."

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

...so I just put it down to that awful stereotype actually being true in some cases

Unfortunately, most stereotypes have some small bit of basis in fact. Please be aware that generally speaking, educated sensible American folk are as embarrassed of them as you are upset by them.

58 years ago...a silent prayer to the fallen and a word of thanks for the success of that invasion. If the Allies hadn't succeeded I wouldn't be here today. My mother is French and lived her childhood under Nazi occupation.

I will never forget...

A gentleman by the name of Cal lives a few condo’s down from me. According to his brother, Cal served with the 1st infantry division during WW2. He saw D-Day and Omaha beach on D+0. Another neighbor of mine who has been living here for 20 years told me Cal is “walking piece of metal.” This is due to a metal pins in his bones and, according to her, shrapnel. I have been told by both, Cal’s brother and my neighbor that Cal never talks about his army experience. Cal is also a very religious man. I know he attends a local catholic church several times a week. Out of respect to his silence, I have never breached the subject. If solitude is his desire, then I shall honor his wishes and quietly thank him for his service.

Allow me to take this moment and thank every person and their families for doing what was necessary on June 6, 1944. All of them will forever be heroes.

[ June 06, 2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: FFE ]

Two things about this thread.

#1 It's the wrong forum for such issues.

#2 People need to relax a bit of they feel even the remotest amount of offense because someone picks out a specific group to mention for remberance. It's not like they said "God Bless America and everyone else can go to hell!"

If this forum is truly to be a global village (and I am not convinced that is always such a good idea) than we all need to remember that with diversity needs to come an equal or even greater amount of intelligent acceptance of peoples views and intentions and not to get all bent out of shape when someone says something you don't agree with 100%.

Madmatt