New grunt reporting to the battlefront

Welcome, maggot!

Funny you mention GPL....I just thought of it yesterday, and wondered what ever happened to it. I must do some research now.....

Back on topic: your assumption may well prove true. Enjoy, but don't forget to eat!

Originally posted by Edward Windsor:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Richard Marchand:

Just bought CMBB and found this forum. It seems that this game will be able to draw me from my other addiction call GPL (Grand Prix Legends).

CMBB is good, but it's not THAT good.</font>

Lumbergh,

The Combat Mission series are the only games I give HD space to apart from GPL (not that I'm an arbiter of good taste).

All joking apart, they're probably more alike than you think.

The original product was ground-breaking, there was excellent support from the programmers with various patches and fixes, an enthusiastic and dedicated community built up, and the mods and add-ons are simply jaw-dropping (if anyone has an old copy of GPL kicking around, I'd recommend a trip to the GPLEA site).

Plus I once thought that fitting a panzerfaust to my Cooper would improve my chances of winning a race...

And I can tell you've never played it - not only is dialing in downforce settings and choosing tyre compounds strictly for wimps, it was an option that Jimmy Clark and Graham Hill never had in 1967.

The rake of the car could be used to acheive a primitive aero effect (although this doesn't appear to be modelled in GPL) and the rubber was so hard it would last for several races.

To bring this back on topic I would like to extend the warm, sweaty hand of friendship to Mr Marchand - if you want some illuminating discussions on tactics, generally well-meaning advice, heated debates on the merits of various tanks, or an advanced lesson in statistics, you've come to the right place.

I can't pretend to understand half of it, but it's very entertaining anyway smile.gif

Eddie

Originally posted by Jack Arilliac:

Welcome, maggot!

Funny you mention GPL....I just thought of it yesterday, and wondered what ever happened to it. I must do some research now.....

Back on topic: your assumption may well prove true. Enjoy, but don't forget to eat!

GGAARAGRAGAG GRGRAGRAGR AAGRAGRGGGG!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: Who gave you permission to call my soldiers maggot, maggot??!! Now grab your gear and go shred some flesh before I impale a red hot iron dipped in TNT up your a$$!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Richard Marchand wrote:

It seems that this game will be able to draw me from my other addiction call GPL (Grand Prix Legends).

Welcome to the furum son, Achtung! Strammstehen. Chest out, back straight, shoes on the line. What's this dribble about toys. Grand Prix Legends er some such. Put them things down right there on the blanket with all yer other civilian stuff. You'll be issued with all the necessary gear you need to fight this war. Remember trooper, we have the best training, the best equipment, the best soldiers in the world. Why, I actually feel sorry for them poor lil cyber bastages, I really do...

[ November 22, 2002, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

GPL was just about the only thing I did for ... ever it seemed like. Then I discovered (a) I was really, really slow in GPL and (B) CMBO came out.

Now my wheel and pedals are packed away someplace but CMBB is still on the HD and now IT'S about the only thing I do.

Both special games.

Joe

It's like the turncoat special ops assassin (before Willard) wrote in Apocalypse Now:

SELL THE HOUSE

SELL THE CAR

SELL THE KIDS

I'M NEVER COMING BACK!

CM has you, there's no turning back.

Just remember:

Playing the AI is OK.

Playing maniacally evil humans is 1000 times better!

Playing PBEM is like drinking coffee.

Playing TCP/IP is like smoking crack!!!

Don't forget- in the "Tips & Tricks" section, read the post called "Anthology of Useful Posts (esp. for new players). It is a martial oasis of much-needed CM knowledge...the manual teaches you how to move the "pieces" but expect to Die-A-Lot until you learn tactics.

Welcome & have fun!