Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Do the Faithful not Get the Bonus CD Content?

I just read about the bonus CD being included with the retail version of CM. Are the contents going be made available for download, or are we the faithful -- who bought it online -- going have to buy the game again in order to reap these delights?

Cheers.

Carson "Brethon"

You don't need the bonus CD. It doesn't contain new material, just mods and scenarios from around the web. You've probably already got most of it on your computer now. The CD was created for European customers who don't have access to high bandwidth connections like Americans have, or who don't have the same low ISP prices and have to pay per time online.

And what about the not Faithful?

The good Ol' Noob who just want to buy this incredible game everydody has been hyping for a long time.

Said noob would be French and buy CDV's retailed CMBO and be happy to discover that if the Brits need a Bonus, the Frogs can go play with themselves under the shower.

Which we know is not often.

:D

Basically, how come CDV UK is throwing a candy and CDV France can't even produce a game of the same quality?

No MOD, no added Scenario.

Bad localisation with Names and Labels too long to be read in some part of the Interface.

And since we can't have the fun of the English, why not have the drawbacks of the German?

So it is that even with no law concerning WW2 games, the SS are now Waffen Grenadier in CDV CMBO.

So just to be EXTRA sure, and because I want my CMBB in English through BTS, will I be obliged as a European to buy my game off the shelves and be stuck with such things?

Steve? Martin?

Steve Martin?

I got nothing against CDV and I'm happy they have the chance to distribute this outstanding piece of software.

Likewise, I'll be delighted if BTS turns rich all of sudden.

But who got the brilliant idea to package such a neutered version for us French?

Unreadable labels, Stock textures & Politically Correct unit names.

Now that's an incentive...

Truly, I feel neglected. I nearly memorized the manifesto and have often referred to it, proudly waving my, well used to be, my credit card over the net and now the thing (CM), is on shelves at 7-11 in Hongkong somewhere's. Where some wandering soul can pour over the pretty box cover like a Penthouse magazine and who has no idea what it is, what it does, or how it works, (other than they like the box cover), all with the luxury of plucking it out of the store and taking it home rickitty sprit with a bonus CD to boot. Meantime, I gotta figure out how to get a credit card and fling it out there on the net or send a check to Cananader or some such and wait a couple of months for the thing to be cashed (don't the bank have a computer?), and the game packet to be shipped, irradiated, sanitized, and possibly vaporized in bumcluck Ohio before I ever see it, without a bonus CD, or a pertty box cover. Ah feel soiled. :D

[ March 12, 2002, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Truly, I feel neglected. I nearly memorized the manifesto and have often referred to it, proudly waving my, well used to be, my credit card over the net and now the thing (CM), is on shelves at 7-11 in Hongkong somewhere's. Where some wandering soul can pour over the pretty box cover like a Penthouse magazine and who has no idea what it is, what it does, or how it works, (other than they like the box cover), all with the luxury of plucking it out of the store and taking it home rickitty sprit with a bonus CD to boot. Meantime, I gotta figure out how to get a credit card and fling it out there on the net or send a check to Cananader or some such and wait a couple of months for the thing to be cashed (don't the bank have a computer?), and the game packet to be shipped, irradiated, sanitized, and possibly vaporized in bumcluck Ohio before I ever see it, without a bonus CD, or a pertty box cover. Ah feel soiled. :D

Okay, now THAT was funny -- rickitty sprit! Hah!

Could someone from Battlefront at least tell us what mods are on the CD and what mod manager it uses so we can have the option to get it?

Even if they are available on the net it would be nice to see what they have included.....

Hi

Originally posted by Stardog:

Could someone from Battlefront at least tell us what mods are on the CD and what mod manager it uses so we can have the option to get it?

My father bought the UK version yesterday I had a quick look at it.

The main game CD is CM v1.12 but is copy protected and has a CDV logo at start in place of QT Movie.

The bonus CD has quite a lot of stuff

It has CMMOS v3.00

It has a good selection of Mods (but all available already nothing new)

It inculdes a folder with appox 50 more scns again all readily available

It includes a paper manual which is identical to original with only addition I could see being a section on using TCP/IP

All in all a good deal for a first time CM buyer but nothing for owners of original unless you really need a box smile.gif

Cheers

[ March 12, 2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Gary Barr ]

Well I'd point out that the logic as to how all these things on the bonus CD that are "available" at the web sites, are also available to whoever the devil it is that the retail version is being targeted at. The other, and probably more important point being, so is the game. If someone were motivated enough in some far flung corner of the planet to want the thing, then can they not buy it over the net also? Maybe I missed something there and they can't for some reason.

PawBroon, nobody really can prohibit you to, for example, buy the UK version from one of the online UK stores (talking CMBO here). The problems you mention with the french version from Focus/CDV are somewhat surprising, since the localization has been done some time ago by our previous french partner and there had been no complaints back then. Will check into that, I just got my french copy. For CMBB, it's too early to answer what exactly wil happen.

MikeyD, yeah, smarta smile.gifsmile.gif

Stardog, the contents of the BonusCD are not a secret. Matt has an overview of what's on there and I'm sure he'll share it when he's back (unless somebody from the UK does it).

Martin