**NORMANDY clear day [AND NOW CLOUDY!] Italian sky mod!**

Due to popular demand:

Total Redo *Normandy* terrain low horizon sky for CMAK Italian theater clear day [and now cloudy too. Read the details further down the threaad].

At our favorite site:

http://www.cmmods.com/

Proof - if proof were needed - that nagging works. Done in record time, a total reworking of the Italian clear day sky to represent flat Normandy Bocage country some miles in from the beach. Irregular fields with hedgerows, scattered houses, distant burning vehicles, and bomber contrails passing overhead. You'll wonder how I did it... and how I did it so fast!

The screenshots don't really do it justice, but here's the cmmods.com screenshot:

http://www.cmmods.com/web/CMAKMods.nsf/d108908febc2d41c85256c5f005fd337/6FAB58EBDAD2D93D85256EB4004DA7A3/$File/SKYNORMANCLEAR.JPG

[ June 17, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Geepers Gurra, I was up til 2am as it was on just the clear sky mods! You're gonna break me!

Okay, since doing sky mods is fun I'll promise you this. IF I can figure out how to do dusk/dawn/overcast textures that wrap properly I'll give it a try.

Winter textures? Nice try. Nobody was fighting anybody in Normandy hedgerows in the wintertime! tongue.gif;)

UPDATE: Cloudy Normandy horizon now uploaded to cmmods.com. Thank gurra for twisting my arm on this one. ;)

Here's the cmmods.com screenshot:

http://www.cmmods.com/web/CMAKMods.nsf/d108908febc2d41c85256c5f005fd337/6451097E73730E7E85256EB6004F2596/$File/SKYNORMCLOUD.JPG

After finishing the mod I went back and looks at the old default CMAK cloudy sky. What a difference! Since the Normandy horizon was generated from the game engine itself it looks like the scenario map stretches on to the horizon. VERY different feel.

Answer to junk2drive.

I've found that reducing the resolution on the big stuff frees up memory in my wimply 16 meg video card. In CMAK once your video card reaches its limits the game starts selectively downsampling the art resolution (as much as 4 times over?) in an effort to push the game through the card. If you've got a machine that downsamples badly (which mine does) cutting the resolution on terrain, ground and sky elements doesn't hurt because they were being downsampled anyway. But using half the video memory for the terrain means there's more memory left over for vehicles, houses, and uniforms.

Faster loading 3-D elements? Faster scrolling? Hmmm... maybe slightly but not enough to make much of a difference to me

[ June 17, 2004, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

after my post i got home to try it with one of my own mods. the lower edge (terrain) was smaller then before resizing. the clouds were not stretched as much. i did not find any difference in computer speed. i have a pc agp radeon 7000 64mb ddr card. i would think that just half sizing would not effect how it displays, but it did.

Hah! you've got a 64mb card? That's four time the cache of my card. That'll eat CMAK's default graphics for breakfast! Downresing the sky graphics on YOUR system would be like removing the fuzzy dice from the mirror of an 18 wheeler in order to lighten the load. :rolleyes::D