First impressions of CMAK

I love it.

I got it yesterday, spent most of the night playing. I've played two battles. One in Italy and one in Crete. The default grapics are really great, and apart from the stunning pieces of art the über-modders can conjure up, I dont think I will be dowloadning that many mods.

As for gameplay, some things have changed. Its hard to put the finger on it, but it is clear that the flow of battle is a little different here. Maybe its just me, but I get the impression that some units surrender a tad quicker, and some are faster to turn and run than they were in the east.

There are 62 scenarios and 7 operations. There is also a "To the volga"-type battle, Totensonntag...remember that one from ASL? I would like to try it, but I doubt my poor AMD 1800+, 512 RAM, GF2 computer can handle those 10 000 points/90 turns (!).

As for the operations, I started with the Descent on Maleme operation, and the first battle in that operation is about as intense and nail-biting as I have ever seen. It took me something like 5 hours to play that one through. Unfortunately, for the second battle I got some really weird setup zones.

Here comes a little spoiler

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

For example, I spent most of the first battle trying to get across the dried river bed. Not an easy task at all. But suddenly in battle 2, I was allowed to set up well north of that river-bed...

However, since I'm not the gamey-bastard-type of player, I will simply set up the reinforcements roughly where my units were located after the first battle...so it is only a minor gripe.

All in all, an excellent game. Just what I was expecting from BFC, and I can tell all of you who are thinking of not buying this game...think again, because you are missing something.

My rating: 10/10

The operations between game Front line drawing never seems to satisfy. It's gotten better over the years, but you never end up with the exact front line you fought over so hard for in the past battle. At the same point, many times in battles (Crete in particular) guys would wake up the next morning to find one side or another had withdrawn to more defensible positions over night. (I'm rationalizing here...) But remember the airfield's not secure until the whole map is clear!

Los

My initial thoughts on CMAK, the game's got a broader scope than I had envisioned it would.

Even BFC was saying CMAK wasn't as ambitious as CMBB and had been priced to reflect that. But CMAK covers a greater time span than CMBB. I don't know the vehicle count but it seems every bit as complete as CMBB. And the terrain runs from Ethiopia to the foot of the Alps! This is not CMBB's 'little sister' by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

My initial thoughts on CMAK, the game's got a broader scope than I had envisioned it would.

Even BFC was saying CMAK wasn't as ambitious as CMBB and had been priced to reflect that. But CMAK covers a greater time span than CMBB. I don't know the vehicle count but it seems every bit as complete as CMBB. And the terrain runs from Ethiopia to the foot of the Alps! This is not CMBB's 'little sister' by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, we were just being modest I guess. It turned out to be much bigger than we expected it to be too! In fact, as far as total data size goes, its a lot bigger than CMBB.

Madmatt

I thought the CMBB CD was full to the brim, how did you squeeze the extra data on?

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Yeah, we were just being modest I guess. It turned out to be much bigger than we expected it to be too! In fact, as far as total data size goes, its a lot bigger than CMBB.

Madmatt

Well I loved the demo, and eagerly anticipate receiving the full version. I really missed GI Joe, I like and greatly respect Ivan but just don't have any attachment to the Eastern front. I realise this is heresy but I would have liked to have the option to have the comments made by the Foreign armies have a English version with a heavy accent. I am all about the realism and it is a huge reason I love CM, but not understanding what anyone is saying gets old after awhile.

Looking forward to countless hours of playing CMAK... whilst I dream of CMX2!! smile.gif

I'm glad that compression fixed (right?) the full disk problems during install from the CMBB original disks. I nearly lost it after waiting for CMBB to finally come and then had problems installing it.

It is fixed right!?! Pleaaasee say it is!

von Nev

[ December 03, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: von Nev ]