BoB: Replacements scenario?

Just wondering if anyone has done said scenario - while watching it I thought this episode of BoB would be ideal for making as the numbers of troops/tanks involved are well within a CM-scale battle.

This episode depicts part of Operation Market Garden where American Paras meet up with British Armour and attempt to capture/liberate Eindhoven but are repulsed by veteran SS units.

I've tallied up some of the numbers for each side:

Allied:

- 4 Shermans + 1 Cromwell (reg/green)

- Easy Company American Paras (vets/regs)

Axis:

- 1 Tiger

- 1 Jagerpanther

- 1 Stug IIIG (not sure of what variant yet)

- 1 Halftrack

- 1 Company of SS Troops

Eindhoven - It's fairly hard to see how the town is laid out as there are really no distant/above shots for clues - however it defidently does have a church, a graveyard, and various large light/heavy buildings.

Being that noone really plays CMBO anymore, I thought I might be able to do it in CMAK - however American Paras arn't available in September '44 in that theatre so I may have to use standard infantry instead.

If anyone has any additional information or somesuch it would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by BulletRat:

Just wondering if anyone has done said scenario - while watching it I thought this episode of BoB would be ideal for making as the numbers of troops/tanks involved are well within a CM-scale battle.

This episode depicts part of Operation Market Garden where American Paras meet up with British Armour and attempt to capture/liberate Eindhoven but are repulsed by veteran SS units.

I've tallied up some of the numbers for each side:

Allied:

- 4 Shermans + 1 Cromwell (reg/green)

- Easy Company American Paras (vets/regs)

Axis:

- 1 Tiger

- 1 Jagerpanther

- 1 Stug IIIG (not sure of what variant yet)

- 1 Halftrack

- 1 Company of SS Troops

Eindhoven - It's fairly hard to see how the town is laid out as there are really no distant/above shots for clues - however it defidently does have a church, a graveyard, and various large light/heavy buildings.

Being that noone really plays CMBO anymore, I thought I might be able to do it in CMAK - however American Paras arn't available in September '44 in that theatre so I may have to use standard infantry instead.

If anyone has any additional information or somesuch it would be greatly appreciated.

There are no Cromwell's in CMAK. :(

Panther Commander

So improvise--a sherman firefly would stand in nicely.

Anyhow, AFAIK, cromwells were brigaded separately.

I have actually contemplated such a battle. Dont think it would work out so well in cmbb without some serious adjustment away from the movie.

WWB

Yep, as I stated I'd have to improvise using standard troops instead of paratroopers anyway so maybe substituting the cromwell for say.. a valentine wouldn't be too much trouble.

WWB what do you mean? Allies have more tanks, despite poorer quality.

Also I forgot to mention, in the movie as they are retreating from Eindhoven another 3-4 Cromwells are covering their retreat - so including them as reinforcements after a certain amount of turns could help even the battle somewhat.

Originally posted by BulletRat:

I seem to remember having played one CMBO scenario that also got its theme from BoB and had US Paratroopers with Cromwells. Not that that should stop you from making a new version, of course.

As for the map, you could even try to get a hold of a real map of Eindhoven. There's many Dutch people in this forum.

Valentine might not be the best Cromwell equivalent - Val was a heavy tank while Cromwell a medium tank. An ordinary Sherman should do, I think?

In all CM games you can "time warp" units, for example you can have Jagdtigers in 1941 by first buying them when they are available and then changing the time period back to 1941. You can do the same with US paratroops in CMAK, just change the date to May (or whatever) 1944 to buy them, then switch back to September. Crafty eh!?

Has everyone been drinking?

We've got people comparing Cromwells to Fireflies and Valentines, and calling a Valentine a heavy tank.

The Cromwell is essentially the same as a Sherman, but faster (earlier models) It's armed with a 75mm gun, 3 man turret etc.

It was commonly used in recon regiments in armoured brigades, where the other regiments had Shermans.

The Comet might be analagous to a Firefly, but that wasn't introduced until later.

The Valentine is a rather small infantry tank, slow and poorly armed. To get a 75mm gun into it you needed to have a 2 man turret. Using a Val in place of a Cromwell is like using a PzIII in place of a PzIVH

Hi People,

First time I post on the board, have been reading it quite a while so that I am prepared for the real deal when (if) the game hits my doormat tomorrow.

I just wanted to say that if people are interested, I could visit the town hall to look for old maps of Nuenen. The battle you described didn't take place in Eindhoven, but a small town nearby called Nuenen. Vincent van Gogh was born there.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow after school.

Originally posted by Paul Atreides:

Hi People,

First time I post on the board, have been reading it quite a while so that I am prepared for the real deal when (if) the game hits my doormat tomorrow.

I just wanted to say that if people are interested, I could visit the town hall to look for old maps of Nuenen. The battle you described didn't take place in Eindhoven, but a small town nearby called Nuenen. Vincent van Gogh was born there.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow after school.

Beat me to it.

JonS sent me a nice map of Nijmegen, perhaps he has some intel on operations further south as well....

Originally posted by WWB:

So improvise--a sherman firefly would stand in nicely.

No it would not - different, much more powerful gun. As FK says, you need to use the ordinary Sherman.

Originally posted by WWB:

Anyhow, AFAIK, cromwells were brigaded separately.

Nope, the Churchills were. Cromwells were in 7th Armoured (all of it, except for the 1 in 4 Sherman Fireflies), and in all the Reconnaissance Regiments of the British and Polish (but not Canadian 4th Armoured) divisions.

Thanks for the ideas people - my objective is to make the map so it follows the BoB Episode as closely as possible rather than what may have happened in reality.

I'll try to match the specs of the Cromwell as closely as possible to whatever tank I may put in in its place.

Thanx for the hint on "time warping" units Sergei - I'm sure that will come in handy in using actual paratroops instead of substituting for standard infantry.

I'll defidently check out that CMBO scenario for ideas too - thanx Heinzbaby.

what about one for the episode where there are two US companies in one hedgerow and Germans in a hedgerow across the field?

Halfway through the firefight, in roll a coupla halftracks,a jagdpanther, a Stug III (i think) and maybe a panther (it runs over somebody at the end of the fight).

Just after the US knock out the stug with a bazooka shot,the shermans turn up and the Germans retreat.

That one was a really cool episode.