How to tackle emplaced Anti-tank Guns?

So I;ve found an excellent way to get my rear kicked by the AI in a Quick Battle. Give him ATGs, some trenches and gradual slopes on a medium+ map.

I've been doing this mostly as me Allied Brits, N. Africa, 1942. Dang if it isn't almost impossible to take out (and confirm) an entrenched ATG. I've been using 2 and 3 in. mortars, both on and off map. Direct HE from a Matilda doesn't phase him. I've gotten better at supressing them, timing my movements with my arty barrages, but it still takes too long to cross the map.

Sooo... anyone got good tactics for taking out entrenched or foxholed ATGS?

Guns (or HMGs) in trenches are a bitch to take out. You best bet is to roll a matilda over it! (assuming its a small enough gun not to kill you!)

large on map mortars are a good bet but you need a hit within the trench as a near miss wont do any good. If the gun is under the command of a good HQ you may have to kill all the crew as they may not break.

Direct HE works OK but has the same problem as above - a almost direct hit needed + if your enemy has placed the trench jsut behind the ridge of a slope you may have a hell of a time hitting it at all.

More usefully drop smoke onto it from a 81 or equivelant on board mortar and you wont have to take it out at all.

Originally posted by Beta1:

large on map mortars are a good bet but you need a hit within the trench as a near miss wont do any good.

It doesn't matter whether the round lands in the trench or not. For the CM HE versus soft units model it only matters that the unit is in a trench and how far away the rounds lands. In what kind of terrain the round lands or what kind of terrain is between impact point and target does not influence the outcome.

The only exception is directly hitting a building and airbursts.

Originally posted by Mike:

CS Matilda's have a 3" howitzer with a load of about 1/3rd HE and 2/3rd smoke

Ah. I guess it had slipped my mind that there were CS Matildas. Can't say I've ever heard of any used in action, but I suppose they must have been if they were issued.

Michael

Massed fire works. A direct hit will destroy the gun, but lots of incoming will break the crew if the amount of suppression from the incoming is bigger than the decrease in suppression from recovering. 20 rounds over 5 turns have a different effect than 20 rounds in one turn.

Read: A single small mortar may destroy the gun, but will not rout a veteran crew (or less but with morale bonus). A single area targetted MG will keep the suppression between incoming mortar rounds and might make a difference

A few HE chuckers, MGs and squads in the same turn might persuade the crew to rout very quickly (if it is not fanatic).

If it just pins and thus hides from view, you might loose the target. So use area fire with a small covered arc set to where you ain't expect a target. No enemy enters the arc - no other target selected - one full turn of metal delivered).

Ohh... one thing about confirming gun/mortar kills... check the status bar for the the gun marker. If the terrain window for the gun is empty, the gun is dead. (Gamey!). An Infantry marker near the gun is a good indicator, too.

Gruß

Joachim

Have you tried airplanes?

In a PBEM game once (I'm Russians attacking Finns), I lost 3 AVs and 2 guns to 4 entrenched Finnish AT guns in the first two turns! I assumed I was doomed. Then my plane flies in (I forget the type), and within 3 turns, bags all 4 guns (killed two placed closely together in one run)! After that, my lone surviving AV managed to support my infantry on to victory.

Hmm, maybe I should post this in the 'improbable victory' thread in the CMBB Forum smile.gif