Which Combat Mission should I get?

After Downloading the demos for both Combat Mission AK and Combat Mission BB, I am wondering if I should order the bundle pack of both the titles. Or if I should just get the CMAK with the CMAK Companion. As I am sure most of you already know, The CMBB CMAK combo runs 60 dollars. The CMAK and Companion Run 50 dollars. I have never played any of the games in the series but the demos have got me hooked. I haven't noticed too much difference in the two games except a slight graphics update and them being different theatres. So would I be better off just getting the CMAK and Companion or should I go for both the games?

Thanks in advance for any replies

S!

Embark

Get the combo pack. Then say goodbye to your girl (before she dumps you), your job (called in sick too often)and your waistline (you'll be pounding beers and drinking Tequila shots like water). Ah, life is good! :D

Oh yeah, make sure you have a good PC. ;)

OK, seriously, welcome to CM! IMHO CMBB is STILL as enjoyable in 2004 as it was when first released in 2002. CMAK is more finely tuned game but the Western Front battles are not (IMO) as compelling as the Russian Front. So, enjoy the variety. Personally I like switching between desert battles in North Africa and winter battles in Russia--an interesting contrast.

Once hooked, you MUST check with these four sites every day of your life: BFC Forum (natch!), Scenario Depot, The Proving Grounds, and CMMOD database.

There are also many fine sites (they are all good) and you will fine an ample--even excessive, supply of opponents for PBEM and online play in the many "Opponents wanted" sections.

Life, as you know it, will never be the same. tongue.gif

Tooz,

Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is that I am going to buy these games because my wife is about to have our first child and I am not going to be able to fly IL2 Forgotten Battles online as much as I used to. It's nice that this is turn based so if the kid is crying I will be able to stop what I am doing and take care of him. If I am flying online then I would just have to crash into the ground LoL. The wife is pretty tolerant of me playing on the computer. At least she knows where I am at night :).

I don't know if I can ask this but I will try it out anyways. Do you think that there is any way someone might email me the PDF copy of the manual that comes with the game so i can read up on it while I am waiting for the mail to come? I would like to have all the simple stuff down so that when it arrives I can jump right in and start playing.

V/R

Embark

Hi Embark, welcome aboard!

I'd say forget the companion, you've got this forum here. It has all the things you ever need to know about the games already here... somewhere, at least. For free, too.

And while the games are indeed 'similar,' the timeframe and difference of theatre make for totally different experiences.

Also, don't worry too much about graphics. Chances are high that anything you might like to have changed/improved has already been modded by our host of very dedicated Modders.

So, i'd say get the bundle, unless you couldn't care less about the eastern front, of course.

Ultimately, getting both games is the thing to do, as it will give you a great variety to play. However, for my personal tastes, I would just order AK. I don't care for the Russian Front. I don't like the scenarios. I don't like the wide open terrain, or the massive tank battles. If I had just come to the CM community as you have, I would order AK and not bother with BB. I purchased BB, because it was such an improvement over BO. In fact, if BFC wouldn't have done so poorly in modeling the BO infantry under fire, I would never have purchased BB.

Get both BB and AK. You'll find more opponents to play, will have lots of different units and equipment, and different fronts.

you wont have time for the book once the games arrive, so do like tooz said. then get books later.

Which is why I ask if someone could email me a copy of the manual that comes with the game. I don't know if there are any legal issues with that but I am buying the game. I just need to wait till it gets here

I just ordered the CMAK. I was going to get the bundle but cash is running short right now. I found some cheap copies CMBB on ebay but I figure that the guys who make these games could use every bit of revenue that they can get. So I will probably buy CMBB next week when I get paid.

Embark, welcome to the club. I can't quite call it the fraternity, because a certain Kitty will hunt me down and rip out my lungs. :eek: :eek: When you have had a chance to play against the AI until you feel comfortable, come by the Cheery Waffle thread and we'll have a PBEM. It's a whole new game. :D:D:D

The CMAK companion book would be nice reading while ...um... sequestered, but isn't necessarily vital to playing the game itself. Talk about playing the game, don't forget, for an extra fifteen free and fun scenarios based on that book visit the companion book thread for instructions where to download 'em.