To BFC - Thank you.

WineCape

Dear personnel at Battlefront.com

(Charles, Steve, Matt, Dan, Martin, Don Quixote, Rune and all the beta testers/scenario designers + model builders of Combat Mission)

I just need to thank you from a far-away continent, Africa.

Charles:

I need to thank you for your labour of love, spending probably 12+ hours of his day as the sole programmer on Combat Mission 1-3. Hours spending in front of the monitor, testing, programming, re-testing formulae and code. Love for something can only carry you so much. You need passion on top of love, in doses, to slug through, keeping a rational head, balancing reality and playing fun constantly with one another, trying to never yield to the former without sacrificing the latter.

Combat Mission; a daunting programming series that you have excelled in. My appreciation knows no bounds. I’m no hardcore wargamer, but I’ve become one in play. Your excellence has a way of catching people off-guard – initially - when we have become accustomed to mediocrity in the gaming world. Then, after realizing that this excellence is not once-off, but the norm, you cannot help but jump in this CM river and let it take you to the rush and thunder of the fall close by. Whitewater rafting at its best! A friendly warning though:

Just like officiating football, the best advice I can give is that you are only as good an official as your last match. However, you don’t need to worry, you are already on that level, the equivalent of FIFA: Professional, utmost integrity, hard working and above all, your own best critic.

Keep it up. My sincerest wish is that Combat Mission will bring you great financial reward so that you can travel one day to the tip of this continent, South Africa, where I’ll play host to you and the vineyards of this region. You are most welcome to stay with us – address below – and no, not a word on CM will be mentioned during your stay. It will be a proper holiday.

Steven:

It seems that you are not flipping burgers for someone, but for yourself now! smile.gif We miss you on the board. Customer relations started with you. Please come back. Once you have settled, my invitation extends to you too. You can go sky diving with me to keep the thrill up once you’re here, as I have no weasel to ferry you around, or armored cars though.

Matt, Dan, Moon, Rune and Fernando

The first 4 rhymes! If ever in South Africa, give me a call. Don’t insult me by not staying with us. Address below. Rune, thank you for the MAJOR effort in getting SA forces into CMAK!

My invitation to stay with us in Stellenbosch, 35 km from Cape Town, naturally extends to all CM players – even the 4 horsemen - if they are in South Africa and short on accommodation.

God bless all and have a festive, safe season.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

90 Dorp Street, Stellenbosch,

South Africa (yes, this is the sunshine country Nelson Mandela calls home!)

Mobile: +27 82 4158822

cape-town.jpg

[ December 23, 2003, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Originally posted by WineCape:

My invitation to stay with us in Stellenbosch, 35 km from Cape Town, naturally extends to all CM players – even the 4 horsemen...

Where were you thirty years ago when I was looking for new worlds to conq...er, I mean visit?

Gosh, that's a beautiful picture. Is like that all the time?

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Where were you thirty years ago when I was looking for new worlds to conq...er, I mean visit?

Gosh, that's a beautiful picture. Is like that all the time?

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Michael

30 years ago I was still trying to learn chess. My parents thought I was a child prodigy a-la Capablanca and Samuel Rechevksy. Alas, I found a bottle of wine among my milk and that was the end of their dreams.

Err, WE don't have stinkin smogg like industrial nations, just the 3 D's - dust during drought.

WineCape, before all of the Four Horsemen and the other <font size=1>Penguins</font size=1> come nosing around, allow me to echo your thank you to our friends at BFC. Because of the excellence of the games you gentlemen have created, I have enjoyed countless hours of fun. As a side benefit, in these forums I have met fellow gamers from all parts of the globe. In a surprising development, they turned out to be just as opinionated and just as hard-headed as me! We're practically twins! So again, thank you BFC. :D:D

Originally posted by Dave H:

WineCape, before all of the Four Horsemen and the other <font size=1>Penguins</font size=1> come nosing around, allow me to echo your thank you to our friends at BFC. Because of the excellence of the games you gentlemen have created, I have enjoyed countless hours of fun. As a side benefit, in these forums I have met fellow gamers from all parts of the globe. In a surprising development, they turned out to be just as opinionated and just as hard-headed as me! We're practically twins! So again, thank you BFC. :D:D

What he said. smile.gif

I'm swedish so my english isn't good enough to express my gratitude in my own words.

And I just want to add :

Don't let a few harsh posts on this board discourage you.

I'm sure even the guys posting clumsy/moronic posts on this board loves this game to the max !

//Salkin

yes, when my friend and I complain about something over the phone about Combat Missions we start with "of course CM is the best game ever, but..."

as my friend pointed out we used to play The Perfect General and say things like "I wish there were more then two useful unit types."

Now we say things like "I wish that the British airborne squads had the option of carrying extra grenades".

Originally posted by Salkin:

I'm sure even the guys posting clumsy/moronic posts on this board loves this game to the max !

//Salkin

As one of the worst offenders, I would agree with this point.

Beyond the game itself, there is much to be respected and admired about the whole concept that is BFC.

Plus, I like the new Holiday Logo with the snow on top!

Nice Touch. :D

Hi Charl. IIRC isn't Stellenbosch the place where all the failed British commanders in the Boer War got sent off to? Obviously also an ideal location for most of us here then. I think to be 'Stellenbosched' is still part of the British army lingo.

One day I sincerely hope to get to visit your beautiful country. Unfortunately the nearest to South Africa I've been so far was when watching your national cricket team wiping the floor with my local county team, during their warm-ups to the test series in England earlier this year :(:D

Merry christmas to you also.

Winecape,

I echo your feelings regarding the BFC series of Games

it is game I always wanted but never thought would be possible

also I want to thankyou for posting your address

I think that you shall have a great many of us come visit you now : )

Jeff Smith