Hell hath frozen over. ATI releases Hotfix for Mac/Radeon issues in CM!!!

As many of you know, for some time we have been working with ATI on a new driver extension to fix some lingering Mac issues. The beta driver did fix the psychodelic colors but there were still some issues with smoke and fog.

Well today our ATI contact sent us a message to say that they just released a hotfix which apparently fixes all the remaining issues.

The hotfix can be found here: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4380.html

I have also updated the entry in the troubleshooting guide which I have copied below.

Problem: I have a Mac with a Radeon video card installed (8500, Mobility 9000, 9000 Pro) and I am getting what looks like psychedelic graphics displayed when playing the game.

Cause/Solution: ATI has just released a Hotfix software update that resolves this issue. The file can be found here:

So, if you have a Mac and one of those Radeon cards (or if you were using the beta driver that I offered to people) I would suggest you check out this new hotfix.

Madmatt

[ April 15, 2004, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

1 GHz Ti Powerbook with 1 Gb RAM and 64Mb ATI Radeon 9000

I have installed the hotfix and have noticed no significant difference from the Beta realease in that it has fixed the psychaedelic colours but not the "low res" solid smoke graphics.

One thing I did notice is that the release notes say that the hotfix consists of

ATI 8500 3D Accelerator 7.0.9

OpenGLRendererATI 1.3.5

After insatllation, I checked and I found the following

ATI 8500 3D Accelerator 7.0.9

OpenGLRendererATI 1.3.4

So is there a mistake in the release notes or in the installer?

Cheers

Chee-Yan

Yeah, unfortuantely, Charles has not had an oppertunity to check this new hotfix himself so thats why I said it "apparently" fixes the remaining issues. Perhaps always showing the smoke and fog in the fast&compatible mode is their (ATI's) definition of a fix?

In the end though, we were most concerned with the color problem and at least that still seems to be fixed.

Madmatt

[ April 16, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

TufenHuden - this patch applies only to Macs with the Radeon 8500/9000 family (which, I beleive, includes the higher numbered models 9200,9500,9600,9700 & 9800). It fixes a particular psychadelic color problem with textures that only the Mac players have seen. Apparently the 'smoke/fog' issue may not be resolved and it is not the same as the lack of fog on the PC.

Looking through the readme it only mentions the YUV changes for textures and an OpenGL problem for modulating the alpha in Rayman 3 (which sounds mildly similar to the smoke/fog issue of CM). However it may be that the patch doesn't have the updated OpenGL Renderer extension that is mentioned in the readme. Maybe an updated version of this (weirdly enough) may fix the smoke/fog issue, though that is probably incorrect since I'm ignorant of how ATI's extensions interact with each other.

Ironically the ATI website only has a button for "issue resolved" instead of also including one to report problems or "not resolved".

Madmatt, could you email the ATI developer contact to find out if the patch actually has the incorrect OpenGL Renderer extension or if there are more details on the smoke/fog issue ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MAsta_KFC - you're looking in the wrong thread. This is a thread for Mac Radeon 9000 users who had a severe color problem in CM. There is NO FIX FOR THE LACK OF FOG ON PC-BASED ATI VIDEOCARDS. Fog-tables are a feature that ATI has decided not to support under DirectX. They do however support it under QuickDraw RAVE on the Mac (so it isn't a hardware limitation).

CMx2 will most likely offer Vertex Fog (or an option for it), which is supported by the Radeons and other higher-end videocards that dominate the market now. There's no guarantee that vertex fog will be in, but I assume it will be attempted.

Possible issue with the Macintosh Radeon fix:

I didn't have any problems before the fix, other than some funny looking tanks in CMBB. Some of my tanks, (most notably the PzIV, amd some of the russian tanks as well) had weird looking hulls, with holes in them, like some bmps were missing. (If you moved the CM camera and looked at the tank from the side, there were gaps in the armor than you could see all the way through to the terrain on the other side.) Other than that, I had no problems with my graphics (other than the already known opaque smoke).

I downloaded the update to see if it would resolve my funny-looking tanks and to my surprise, the tanks in question turned opaque white. The outline of the tank was fine, but the tank itself was completely opaque white. No gaps in the armor or anything.

I uninstalled the update because I prefered the funny looking tanks because from afar, they look ok. But, worth noting.

Does anyone else have this problem, tanks with gaps, I mean, in CMBB?

I am currently researching if I have any missing .bmps, or whether its just a driver issue.