• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kitty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo Radley:

It's going to be like a car wreck.

You can't NOT look.

My God Mother of Lords!!! Now they're posting songs about her!!!!! Has the whole world gone mad?!?!?!

Kitty </font>

Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by YK2:

LMAO.. you make me sound like Mount Etna about to erupt!!!

Not even a royal "{***sniff***}... We are not amused...".

Really Emma, you must do better. </font>

Originally posted by YK2:

I nearly never got here in the first place!!

For one awful minute I thought the old thread had been locked without a new one having been started....

If you had problems finding it, just imagine how hard it will be for the idiots to find...

Bloody brilliant plan if I do say so myself

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Treat the Ladies with respect. They are infinitely better than you can ever aspire to be.

Infinitely Better

When all feeling is gone

And sadness descends

You look for relief

In the company of friends

To share in your grief

Without giving pity

You're lucky indeed

To have a friend like Kitty

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Seanachai - I need advice on grooming a mortal enemy. I know you are a complete failure at cultivating these kinds of things, but perhaps you have learned from your failures and may be able to pass on a tip or two that aren't complete bollocks?

Ah, Michael, you have grasped the nettle by the wrong end, as it were. Sadly, Mortal Enemies cannot be 'groomed'. They are 'discovered'. After that, of course, a certain amount of effort must be exerted in order to keep them happy, focused, and poisonous in their hatred. But you cannot 'create' a Mortal Enemy.

Oh, yes, you can create the opportunity that focuses their hatred on you, but that takes place after you've 'found' them.

Let us take, for example, the Classic Case: Cabron66 (bolded out of respect for what he could have been, if allowed to fully flower).

After watching his behaviour on the CAS thread, I made it a point to watch for other postings by Cabron. In a very short time, he'd revealed that he had all the requisites for a good mortal enemy (more of that anon). I stepped in, focused his attentions on me, and began the process of claiming him as my Mortal Enemy.

Note that Cabron always had within him the makings of a great Mortal Enemy. It was simply a matter of fermenting them into a heady brew of hatred with the name 'Seanachai' on the label.

He could as easily have been JonS's Mortal Enemy. Or Andreas, or Emrys, or even you. But you lot failed to keep him on the boil. You took the high road, and started ignoring him. I, on the other hand, continued to talk about him and laugh at him. So he began stalking me.

Indeed, the failure of Cabron as a Mortal Enemy lies in his inability to stay focused. He spread his anger too broadly, and attacked in too many directions. I think he was very conflicted. He both loved and hated all of you lot. He wanted the other 'grogs' to love him, and make much of him. He wanted to be a big man on the playground. But once the teasing began, he fell apart. Ah, well.

Some have maintained that I couldn't 'keep' Cabron's hatred. That is both foolish and wrong. I never lost Cabron's hatred. He hated me right to the very end. But what he really, really wanted was the approval of the Grogs and Board Regulars. He was too unfocused. He would run in one direction, hating and mocking me, then be distracted by Peng, then run off yapping, trying to get the Grogs to let him play reindeer games.

Overwhelmed and unfocused, he finally collapsed.

Now, this Crowley guy has potential. Firstly, his name sounds like Cawley which was usually perverted to Crawley - this bodes well as to his suitability.

Note also his complete lack of

a) a sense of humour

B) an ability to post mirthfully, or on topics less than serious

c) anything nice to say

Yes, Michael, and these are all deathly important points for a good Mortal Enemy. But there are several ingredients missing that pose serious difficulties for making Mr. Crowley a good Mortal Enemy candidate.

But to your list add these other important tendencies:

d) being a humbug

e) pretentiousness

f) a quick temper

And, finally, the quintessential ingredient without which no simple 'I hate you, you sodding bastard' opponent can make the leap to Mortal Enemy standing:

He must be barking mad.

Or at least seriously, seriously bent.

Now, I acknowledge that Mr. Crowley does tend to harp, and has a certain humourless, bulldog tendency to continue to mount the horse long after it's dead. But I don't think he's going to weigh in well on points d-f. And, most importantly, I think he's pretty much totally sane. Relatively speaking.

Now, I concede that his comments *may* have been "constructive" (if you consider harping about stuff that everyone already knows about constructive - like BFC doesn't know, duh, that they shared the bmp file for the Vickers and US M1917, or that they put sergeants in charge of sections ("squads")).

But God forbid we should try and have a bit of playful fun and suggest in public what a complete tight-ass he presents himself as.

Now, is being a tight ass all that's necessary to be a good Mortal Enemy?

I think there has to be a tendency to abusiveness. Cabron66 certainly had it. I think Crowley's comments above had it. Or am I missing his point?

Was this simply his first attempts at humour?

Would I be wrong to adopt him as my Mortal Enemy when, really, he was just coming out of his shell?

Or perhaps he has had a crush on Andreas all along, and my suggestion that the two of them get together hit too close to home? If that is the case, perhaps he is not predisposed to Mortal Enemy behaviour at all.

Much to consider.

Reading Mr. Crowley's remarks (thank you for the link, Michael, but I had already been following your...er, 'dialogue' with him; went searching for it on page 2 or 3 or wherever it had gone to before I came here tonight), I think that his remarks indicate that you will have a long row to hoe gaining him as a 'proper' Mortal Enemy.

Oh, doubtless he could come to hate you, if he doesn't already, and perhaps even despise you. He might even be moved to actually spit on you whenever you enter a thread. But his response to you was rather...measured, shall we say. I do not sense in him the almost preternatural willingness to lash out and meltdown that Cabron showed, for example.

Even with much work on your part to tease him, I doubt you could achieve much more than the sort of Fionn/Lewis/Scott C(R? some other letter?) contretemps that failed to provide the Board with anything like the enjoyment and humour that a good Mortal Enemy conflict provides.

Indeed, his post even showed some elements of sarcasm and irony, which would seem to indicate that he is at least capable of defending himself in a reasoned way. If you have to poke him a lot to earn his hatred, and he starts using irony and satire in his replies, it will be you, Michael, that has become his Mortal Enemy. Not the results you're looking for at all.

O Seanachai, Bard of the Northern Wilderness (well, north to YOU lot, anyway), I verily seek your counsel. Can this one be cultivated? Does this put my two up on you? Cabron hated me far more than you. Hell, he even hated Emrys more than you! Bloody Emrys!!

I await your response.

You might be able to cultivate him, Grog Dorosh. But let me caution you, and, I'm sorry to say, admonish you a bit.

You made a grievous error, Michael, in your original approach to him. A great big banner post, replete with his name, and filled with mockery, albeit gentle mockery? Really, Michael. You looked like a hussy, trolloping after a Mortal Enemy.

Not subtle, lad. Not deft. Poor tactics. How can you nurture a delicate relationship such as one involving a Mortal Enemy, when you approach it in this hamfisted manner?

I mean, suppose you liked a young woman. A real one, human, not ummm, plasticene, or anything. Would you try and begin a relationship by filling the billboard across from her apartment with the message 'Baby I Wanna Mess With Your Stuff!'?

I think not.

Well, the damage is done. Perhaps there is a future for you and Mr. Crowley, Michael. It will not soar to the 'Mortal Enemy' heights that I had, however briefly, with Cabron66. But it could become a good, dependable, solid Mortal Enemy relationship. Something you could grow old with. Someone who would always be there for you.

You have to ask yourself, Michael, if what you want is the sort of passionate, reason cast to the winds, head over heels hatred such as I enjoyed with Cabron, or if what you want is a Mortal Enemy that will be there with you, through thick and thin, sickness and in health.

A bonfire of hatred, Michael? Or a fire that you can warm yourself at for years to come?

I think that you will not get the former from Mr. Crowley. But you might still be able to have the latter. But you aren't good at this sort of thing, Michael. You are hot headed and hasty. You yourself sometimes become over zealous.

Perhaps...perhaps we could win him...together. Yes, my words, conveyed by you...the two of us posting so as to draw him in, win his hatred for you.

Are you with me, Christian? When next he posts, let me speak first, Dorosh! Let me plead your cause, let me show him the path to hating you as you richly deserve.

If you will be governed by me, in this, Grog Dorosh, I will assay to win you the hatred of Jason Crowley, and pledge myself to making him a Mortal Enemy who will cast dead flowers on your grave.

After he has a good slash on it, that is.

PS: As regards the whole 'Emrys' thing, well, that was anomalous, and the sort of off-note you look for that indicates 'yes, this is the one, this could be a true Mortal Enemy' as it indicates that the bugger is quite mad.

I mean, really. Hate Emrys? It's like hating the Easter Bunny, or a Yorkshire terrier. What's the point?

Cabron66:

If you are out there, lad, if you are reading this...

I have always kept a candle burning in the window.

In case there are any assassins still coming, lost out there in the snow.

I know you still hate me, Cabron. I know you will always hate me. No one can make me doubt this.