What are the Italian troops saying?

KG, are you serious? Because that would be very funny and disturbing at the same time.

It has occurred to me that an advantage accrues to the Axis when 2 typically monoglot Americans play CM. This is because the Axis player can swoop around the battlefield gathering intelligence about enemy morale and casualties but the Allied player cannot. I have deciphered a few phrases such as "Kamerad!" ("Friend," i.e., I surrender), but if you can't pick it up and spell it you can't translate it. :(

i've actually never played with any italian troops, but i have heard the english officers saying things like conserve your ammo, pick your targets...fire disipline type of orders. i would take that to mean they are running low on ammo. i usually play as the germans, and i speak pretty good german as well, and i usually only here them say things like 'lets go', 'fire', and sometimes under fire, i think i can here them say, 'that stiener has really buggered us now, can i get a transfer out of his Kampfgruppe?'

I'm not sure it's any real advantage to know what the men are saying, b/c the general idea is usually clear from the context and the tone of voice. A message about ammo levels might be one of the few truly useful messages to hear the enemy troops say.

I know when I'm playing against the Brits I love to hear "out of ammo!". smile.gif

This is what my men are saying in my current battle, mostly hammering British light armour with ATRs.

Bel colpo! - Nice shot!

Bel colpo, è andato! - Nice shot, it's finished!

Evvai, preso! - Hurrah, we got it!

Distrutto - Destroyed

Bersaglio: carro nemico. Spara! - Target: enemy tank. Shoot!

Sissignore - Yessir

Contatto, fanteria nemica. - Contact, enemy infantry

Unità nemica, spara! - Enemy unit, shoot!

Carro nemico, fuoco! - Enemy tank, fire!

Contatto, unità nemiche. - Contact, enemy units.

I hope the tenor of the messages doesn't change, but generally they are more dramatic. :cool:

As my adversary is getting close with his infantry, you should hear different comments very soon.

Let me know if you want me to continue.

Best Regards

Koenig

All nationalities have something like 43-49 different *catagories* of voice sayings. Each catagory is activated by a specific event or trigger (for example, brewing up a tank, getting pinned, being under fire etc..) and within each catagory each nationaility has between 3-10 (or more) individual lines spoken by 1 and 5 different voice actors. While the context is the same for each catagory, what the individual sayings are does vary a little, nation to nation.

Madmatt

I recall an old CMBB post on this topic. A Russian speaker was saying some of the Russian language phrases in the game could get pretty spicy - involving parental units and/or barnyard animals and such. More than one bilingual friend has said that English (American English) was not a particularly inventive language to curse in. We're pretty much fixated on the standard handful of curse words. Spanish or Russian apparently are much more entertaining.

• 1 month later...

Koenig, please post more. Sorry for the delayed response. There's one angry-sounding phase I'd like translated. Sounds roughly like he's saying

Angotsi ditty forti! (angry sounding)

There's another saying I hear frequently at the beginning of a battle, before the shooting starts: Ragazzi something (sounds like "moritsi" or something like that). Probably a "let's go boys", or something along those lines, since Raggazi is boys.

I swear I have heard Americans say "boo ya!" when they hit a tank. Also, while on the subject of language, why must the American and Canadian troops have same WAVs? I know the accent is almost identical, expecially to anyone not blessed enough to live in them, but it gets a tad annoying. I don't like playing as Canucks and hearing them spout phrases in the most backwoods Souteren accents. I'd like to hear some "aboot" and stuff like that for Canucks.

Dammit - I want Newfie & Bluenoser accents...and some Acadian/French Canadian, too tongue.gif

[i now await the arrival of the Canuck Regt grogs to tell me that these regions were not represented in the Med ;) ]

Originally posted by throwdjohn:

I swear I have heard Americans say "boo ya!" when they hit a tank. Also, while on the subject of language, why must the American and Canadian troops have same WAVs? I know the accent is almost identical, expecially to anyone not blessed enough to live in them, but it gets a tad annoying. I don't like playing as Canucks and hearing them spout phrases in the most backwoods Souteren accents. I'd like to hear some "aboot" and stuff like that for Canucks.

[ November 29, 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Yo KP -- I know I have heard the Russian troops saying "tvaya mat", which means "your mother" though I've forgotten too much Russian to translate the rest. But I'm pretty sure I've never heard an American or British trooper use a similar phrase in CMAK. So are the phrases used really that similar from language to language, hm? I'd love some German translation too, since I play the Germans alot and pretty much only know what "panzer" and "schnell" mean...

schnell means hurry, or faster. i just played a game with americans against germans. i should have listed to what the german defenders were saying. i usually play as the germans, so i have a good idea what they say when conducting a successful attack, but i dont think i have heard much when they are under heavy fire, and begging for mercy. i'll have a go at that after work.