(off topic) ANZAC day

Since there are WWI/II grogs here, I just thought I'd mention that this is the weekend when we commemorate the ANZAC corp, especially their ill-fated diversionary attack on Galipoli.

The local papers were running a story observing that there is only one (1) digger left able to march... (if my wife hadn't thrown out the papers I'd tell you his name!)

GaJ.

The old WWI vet who rode in the car in the Sydney Anzac march was Marcel Caux, aged 105. Looked like he enjoyed the day very much, too.

Not sure what Churchill was up to at the Dardanelles in 1915. Just another example of Australia being overseas in a debacle that we had no business fighting in!

Why Aussies don't celebrate the Kokoda trail (or track) more always gets me amazed. But because Anzac Day is April 25, and that's the date the Gallipoli debacle started, the media makes heroes of those brave men. Sure, they were wonderful, but I always think of what happened in New Guinea, every Anzac Day. They're my heroes.

Originally posted by REVS:

Not sure what Churchill was up to at the Dardanelles in 1915. Just another example of Australia being overseas in a debacle that we had no business fighting in!

I think Sergei was correct. The operations in the Dardenneles was to open up access to the black sea for the Allied fleet.

Why Aussies don't celebrate the Kokoda trail (or track) more always gets me amazed. But because Anzac Day is April 25, and that's the date the Gallipoli debacle started, the media makes heroes of those brave men. Sure, they were wonderful, but I always think of what happened in New Guinea, every Anzac Day. They're my heroes.
Not sure. I don't particularly think of just Gallipoli during Anzac day but of the places the ANZACs have been involved.

Mace

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I learned in school that The Brits didn't give a damn about the outcome of Gallipoli, they just wanted to make a noise over there.

IE ostensibly it may have been to open up the access to the Black Sea, but really just a diversion.

I have no idea if this is right - I'm no Grog, and school was a *looong* time ago!

The ANZACs (and the British and French) committed ground troops because the combined Anglo-French fleet failed to force the narrows.

The idea was for the combined fleet to force its way up the Dardanelles, capture Istanbul and force Turkey out of the war. This was supposed to reduce the pressure on Russia and open another front in the Balkans.

The battle (in March) was a near run thing, the Turkish forts were almost out of ammunition, but a minefield they had laid caused major problems. The Admiral lost his nerve after losing his 3rd battleship (at over 1000 men per vessel its understandable) and the fleet withdrew. This battle is the one the Turk’s remember most.

As a result the ground forces went in, with the British landing to the south at Cape Helles and the French on the west coast. The ANZACs landed further north where the peninsula narrowed.

As for why Gallipoli vs the Boer War or the Kokoda Track, I believe its primarily because it was the first time that we fought as National troops (as opposed to detachments from each state for the Boer war) and whilst the contribution of the 39th Bn along Kokoda was probably more important since it was closer to Australia and along with the Battle of the Coral Sea stopped the Japanese thrust towards Australia, I’m sure they were thinking of their forebears actions at the Nek and Lone Pine whilst they fought the Japanese.

I’ve been lucky enough to visit Gallipoli twice now and it does hold a very special place in my heart but on ANZAC Day it is but one place on a list that covers everywhere from South Africa, Flanders, Palestine, Greece, the Western Desert, New Guinea, Borneo, Korea, Malaya, South Vietnam, Timor and Iraq.

All of the men who went to all of these places (many who did not return) provide a standard that I know drives the current ADF in all its training and operations.

[ April 26, 2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]